Telescope

As I am winding down from working, I am thinking of things that I have often wanted to be doing. When I look at the view of the earth from the space station I see that Belize has few land based lights visible. As well, when I have been there, there is little light pollution. I am thinking about star and planet gazing with a telescope. I have not done this before, so I know nothing about it.

I have done research on the web as to what to buy, but other advice is welcome. I would like to be able to hook up my DSL digital camera and take long exposures (thus getting a better view), along with just looking. I don't want to spend $10,000 on a telescope though to do this.

Suggestions, and what kind of pictures would I get?

Thanks

Jody

Because of the lack of light pollution  just looking up on a cloudless night is fantastic, my son always swears there are more stars in the sky over Belize we are just bringing the little telescope that the grandchildren have for when they come. When it is full moon it is so bright I was able to read a book by its light  last year.

I have a celestron 130 nexstar with computer fantastic tool also get an app called Star walk for iPad another fantastic too
Wi the celestron you can hook up camera or computer.
Not yet tried it in Belize but come December I will let you know the result

Thanks mcagun. Let me know. I am not in a rush. Do let me know.

I have the I pad app it is really good, and at christmas they track santa's journey across the world:)

without a telescope, the full moon was gorgeous last night....   mosquito repellant is a must for evening forays.    worth it, just to celebrate something seldom noticed in a large city..........