Water sports in Corozal

This may seem like a petty question but, as I've said before, I like beaches - mostly because I like the water. I'm finding that the mainland of Belize is fairly "beach free" so, other than just jumping off the dock in Corozal, is there decent access to the water?

I'm not planning on a power boat but I have an 18 foot kayak that I really enjoy, and would like easy access to the water.

I've looked at all the pictures I can find on Google but don't find any showing people out there swimming. And there's not much mention of it in the discussions.

Obviously, it's a different story out on the islands. Not sure if I'm wired for being isolated like that, though. I think I'd prefer mainland living.

Thx,

Ned

White Rock wrote:

This may seem like a petty question but, as I've said before, I like beaches - mostly because I like the water. I'm finding that the mainland of Belize is fairly "beach free" so, other than just jumping off the dock in Corozal, is there decent access to the water?

I'm not planning on a power boat but I have an 18 foot kayak that I really enjoy, and would like easy access to the water.

I've looked at all the pictures I can find on Google but don't find any showing people out there swimming. And there's not much mention of it in the discussions.

Obviously, it's a different story out on the islands. Not sure if I'm wired for being isolated like that, though. I think I'd prefer mainland living.

Thx,

Ned

Ha ha Ned the islands are lifestyles of the rich and famous. Believe me they get what's called island fever, but have money to go where they want to.

I have seen hundreds swimming on certain days. They have a kayak rental place just down the street from me. Some of the expats water ski in the bay. Hope that helps

Thats - EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!

Thanks so much.

I walked out on my veranda, I can see the bay and the park, there are guys over there doing backflips off the sea wall right now.

Sounds great. Looking at the map it appears that Chetumal is only about 10 miles by kayak. A nice little jaunt for me from time to time. And, if I feel like some real adeventure I can head on out to San Pedro and back.

That's very true, there's also a town across the bay. But the river empty's into that side and they have croc's over there.

But they have a Dock at Tony's and you can come ashore at Blues or Jam Rock. You have a good mode of transportation.

Ned - the best beaches in Belize are on the Placencia Peninsula and Hopkins. In Placencia you can walk the beach for miles, all the way to Maya Beach and beyond. Plus the beaches are walk out beaches.

Thanks Brigitte. Another place to check out when we get down there for some investigation. Good thing, I guess, is that there aren't all that many choices that are both 1) on the mainland and 2) on the water.

One important thing you might want to consider..its called Malaria. For dogs and cats its called heart worm the same mosquitos carry it.

You can google Malaria in Belize, it will show you where the lastest cases have been.

One clue none of them in the North

The choice just keeps getting easier and easier.

Thanks

The bay is not used very much for anything other than swimming. I recently took a trip down the New River in a canoe and we had a blast. Easy access and very quiet, with lots of wildlife and lagoons to explore.

mosquitos carry Malaria & Dengue & Heart worm.   
dogs get heart worm in the USA and Belize. 
dogs do not get Malaria or Dengue. 
Dogs rarely get tick fever in the USA but it is epidemic in Belize.
There are beetles that give both humans and uncommonly dogs, Chagas Disease.  Chagas destroys heart regulating nerve bundles, so that people need pacemakers.

The farther into the tropics (like Punta Gorda), the greater the incidence.  Corozal is the sub-tropics so we have less of these diseases.

I use repellant and window screens.   I am hoping to avoid the other parasitic illnesses.  Tropical diseases are scary.

I am a veterinarian with many years experience in the human Medical device field. 
kris

Would the be a place in corozal area to put in a stand up paddle board?

I did not know there is no Malari in the North.  Thankyou for this pice of information.  Love it when my choice is reconfirmed for reasons I never thought of.