Rolling Tobacco in Romania

Buna!

I fly to Bucharest on Sunday, to start work in a job involved in wildlife conservation in the Vrancea County.  Focșani will be my nearest biggest city.

I have visited Romania several times, in the past, and always had a supply of rolling tobacco to keep me going, but i have noticed that although shops sell 101 varieties of cigarettes, they do not sell rolling tobacco. Ahead of starting my new job i have put in a lot of time trying to source rolling tobacco, and it is proving very difficult. It seems like it'd be easier to buy rocking horse poo! I have seen it online, but i don't know how trustworthy the sellers are.

Can anybody help me, point me in the direction of a shop (is there one near Bucharest airport), or in the direction of a reputable online seller, please?

Many thanks,
Mulţumesc mult,

Michael  :)

There are shops that sell tobacco products and smoking equipment at the airport.

Ahh cool, thanks! Do you know if they specifically sell hand rolling tobacco?

I have been told to try Okazii.ro to buy tobacco online. Is that a good option?

They will sell hand rolling tobacco as its an international airport. Its cheap as well so you will be able to stock up. If I remember correctly there is a shopping mall nearby as well.

I'll look around Focsani for you.

SimCityAT wrote:

There are shops that sell tobacco products and smoking equipment at the airport.

These are the duty free shops, only accessible for departing international passengers.  Local residents can't ordinarily shop here.

romaniac wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

These are the duty free shops, only accessible for departing international passengers.  Local residents can't ordinarily shop here.

I am aware of that Romaniac,

My real point was, you can stock up on the tobacco when leaving the airport to keep you going while you find a location that sells it nearer to you. If that makes sense. Its been a while since I last visited the country.

SimCityAT wrote:
romaniac wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

My real point was, you can stock up on the tobacco when leaving the airport to keep you going while you find a location that sells it nearer to you. If that makes sense. Its been a while since I last visited the country.

Nope, it's not accessible to arriving passengers.

romaniac wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
romaniac wrote:

Nope, it's not accessible to arriving passengers.

We are not talking about duty-free shops though?

Mega Mall in Bucharest has a tobacconist that sells a variety of rolling tobaccos (although not ones you'll be familiar with from the UK, ie, not GV or OH) so if you have a friend or acquaintance who goes to Bucharest, get him to stock up for you. I would imagine most of the malls have such a shop.

Alternatively, order online and have it come direct to your home:

http://www.tobacco-online.ro/Tutun-de-rulat-tigari/

I know of at least 1 shop in Iasi, which has an online site.  I don't smoke, so I cannot vouch for it.  If Iasi has offerings, I'd imagine there must be in Bucharest also.  Far more convenient than duty free shopping

Thanks for the replies everybody, it's much appreciated.

The link that SimCityAT provided does say that there's a shop that sells tobacco products:

BestValue Arrivals

In BestValue Arrivals you can find: Perfumery and cosmetics, confectionery, spirits, romanian drinks, tobacco products, accessories, romanian souvenirs, toys.
Open 24/7

The first tobacco shop I asked at here in Focsani had about a half dozen choices, quite possibly unfamiliar brands, but then you don't move to Romania to eat at McDonald's and Pizza Hut.

Thanks JohnnyStLouis,

I am not bothered about brands, as long as it isn't like it's been scraped from the bottom of a rabbit hutch, and it's smokeable, then i'm okay  :)

Are there many tobacconists in Focsani?

If you will be buying on a regular basis but don't sell it, you might be able to request it? No harm in asking.......

Not being a smoker I haven't a clue, but as Focsani is a small city I wouldn't think them hugely numerous. That said, I was at a supermarket today and there was a stand-alone Tobacco counter and noted several more choices, as well as loose filters to put into roll-your-owns and empty cigarette tubes. Apparently, you won't have too much trouble.

Thanks man! That's a weight off my mind. Should give up really, but starting a new job, living with new people, isn't really the right time to be going full Basil Fawlty when i am craving a nicotine fix haha.

I shall be scouring Focsani on Monday!

Kauffland sell rolling tobacco as do stalls in a lot of large malls. We live in the middle of nowhere & buy ours online usually from e-tutungerie.ro. Marius who runs the website speaks excellent English & can be trusted.

I'm free Monday and Tuesday. I usually wake up quite early. Shoot me a text or give me a call. I live quite near the center.