Close

Bringing a car to Romania

Hi everyone and nice to meet you,

I am planning to move to Bucharest at the end of this month and wanted to ask a few questions regarding bringing a car to Romania.

I went through several threads and believe that nothing has changed in the space of the pollution tax having to be paid but I am still thinking about driving to Romania with my car. I have a lot of stuff that I need to move with me so it would make things much easier for me. Unfortunately I was unable to complete the calculation of the pollution tax (It is in Romanian unfortunately) so could I possibly ask someone for a very rough estimation? I am driving a 2002 Honda Civic 1.7 CTDI (EURO 3).

May I also ask if anyone has used the option of using the car for up to 6 months with a foreign license+tax? Theoretically it should be legal but has anyone had problems with that?
I would like to ensure the car in Poland and drive on my Polish license plates. I will have to get the residency straight after arriving in Romania. Is it ok if I leave Romania for any country for a day and the 6 month rule is then restarted? How is the fact that the car left the country established when I am stopped by police? Do I take a photo with the car and the foreign street sign? :P

Also could I ask about the winters in Romania? I have a set of winter tires but these might not fit into the car for the move - will I be ok with summer tires only during the winter(wouldn't be in Poland)?

Finally in the case of me having to sell my car - would it be really hard to sell a Polish-registered car without the Romanian tax?

I would greatly appreciate your responses.

Regards,
Jan.

MyNamesJan :

Hi everyone and nice to meet you,

I am planning to move to Bucharest at the end of this month and wanted to ask a few questions regarding bringing a car to Romania.

I went through several threads and believe that nothing has changed in the space of the pollution tax having to be paid but I am still thinking about driving to Romania with my car. I have a lot of stuff that I need to move with me so it would make things much easier for me. Unfortunately I was unable to complete the calculation of the pollution tax (It is in Romanian unfortunately) so could I possibly ask someone for a very rough estimation? I am driving a 2002 Honda Civic 1.7 CTDI (EURO 3).

May I also ask if anyone has used the option of using the car for up to 6 months with a foreign license+tax? Theoretically it should be legal but has anyone had problems with that?
I would like to ensure the car in Poland and drive on my Polish license plates. I will have to get the residency straight after arriving in Romania. Is it ok if I leave Romania for any country for a day and the 6 month rule is then restarted? How is the fact that the car left the country established when I am stopped by police? Do I take a photo with the car and the foreign street sign? :P

Also could I ask about the winters in Romania? I have a set of winter tires but these might not fit into the car for the move - will I be ok with summer tires only during the winter(wouldn't be in Poland)?

Finally in the case of me having to sell my car - would it be really hard to sell a Polish-registered car without the Romanian tax?

I would greatly appreciate your responses.

Regards,
Jan.

OK, quite a lot of things here..let's go.

1.  (tax) Things have changed somewhat in regards to the pollution tax, in fact they are still changing.  The pollution tax scheme in place has been declared as illegal based on EU law, and ANAF will refund the tax paid upon application.  It is also possible to request a waiver of this tax at the police since it has been found to be illegal.  You then can register without paying the pollution tax, which would be about 702 Euro for your car.  I'm not sure I understand your question about leaving the country, so I won't address it now.

2. (foreign plates) No theoretically what you suggest is illegal.  Within 90 days of entering the country (by which you're supposed to establish your residency with ORI,  the car is to be registered/insured in Romania.  With that said, a fair amount of people register their car in Bulgaria (to avoid the aforementioned tax) and drive those cars for years here, though I wouldn't advise such a scheme.  Proceed at your own risk.

3. (tires).  Winters vary based on what region you're going to live in, though I'd say you do need the winter tires here.  In fact, it's mandatory by law between 1 Dec to 1 March. If you're stopped in the winter months, or have an incident and you don't have them on the car, you'll be fined and be assessed points on your license.

4. (selling) Selling the car on Polish plates? I'll say it extremely unlikely.  Most people, if they buy a used imported car will get it from Germany or Italy, or even UK.  There won't be much confidence in a Polish regged car, especially since it has to go through all the import process which will add to the cost.

Hope this helps :)
Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Hi Romaniac,

Thanks that looks to be answering everything I need for now. I will probably drive by car and then decide after 3 months whether I want to keep the car or sell it on back in Poland. I will be living in Bucharest but it looks like I will have to take the winter tires with me :/

Thanks,
Jan.

Why yo don't drive the car directly with your winter tires ? 

And yo can sell any car in Romania. The most important is the price you ask. If it's cheap you sell if you ask to much you never sell it.

Greetings from Marcel.

Hi Marcel,
Yeah the reasons are quite trivial ;)
I've got a set of really nice original Honda summer rims that I will want to use as soon as the winter ends ;) I think I'll fit both sets of wheels somehow..
Cheers.

Expatriate health insurance in Romania

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Romania

Moving to Romania

Find tips from professionals about moving to Romania

Travel insurance in Romania

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Romania

Flights to Romania

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Romania