Golf Cart on Ambergris

My wife and I are from Colorado and looking to retire on Ambergris Caye.  We are planning on purchasing a golf cart and moving in our shipping container.  Was wondering if anyone knew if it is cheaper to run an electric cart or a gas cart in San Pedro.  I know electricity and gas are more expensive, just wondering what might be better.

Thanks

While I don't have any hard numbers on the subject, I would guess that gas is cheaper, especially since Belize imports most of its electricity from Mexico. 

All of the locals seem to have gas powered carts (probably close to 98%), so that's half my argument there, they wouldn't be running gas/diesel if electric was cheaper. 

The other half being as someone who runs a Polaris here and has had issues with finding mechanics and parts, electric carts would likely have similar issues.  Better to go with something that has available parts and mechanics to avoid long repair times and import taxes on parts.

Not sure if you already made a purchase.  Here are the hard numbers. Gas is roughly $5 US a gallon. Electricity is roughly .17/kWh. Now, I don't know about cart gas mileage or electricity usage, but maybe those numbers will help you figure it out.

With the salt air environment, keeping electrical or electronic equipment of any sort working is a real challenge. Add to it driving on wet roads coated with low levels of salt spray, i would think the added maintenance of just keeping an electric cart running would would result in a higher life cycle cost even if the electricity to recharge it were free.