Marriage process in Egypt when already married in US

Hi, I am writing to find out about the marriage process in Egypt. Let's say that a man that is Egyptian and has American citizenship is married legally in the US and then wants to marry another woman in Egypt.

Would he have to produce a legal document showing the US divorce is complete before he would be able to formally marry in Egypt?

Does it make a difference that he is originally Egyptian and now a US citizen.

Honestly, I am asking because my husband is Egyptian and tells me that he has married another wife in Egypt. I am trying to figure out if he can do anything other than urfi marriage without a formal divorce document?

Also, he is trying to convince me to legally divorce him supposedly for equal rights between me and the other wife, meaning she can come to US etc. But I really think it is because he cannot legally marry her without having this US divorce done? We have been married 10 years and so far I cannot have children, that's why he wants another wife; but I feel he is not being completely honest about the situation and doing my own research.

I am not looking for legal advice. Just anecdotal based on your experience. I know it is a messy situation but I am just trying to get to the bottom of it. Any feedback appreciated.

I have no clue about Egypt but you would be breaking US law and that could leave you in serious trouble if you returned to the states after a second marriage.

I'm Egyptian . There is something wrong
Did he tell you that he must divorce you before he canwas marry in Egypt !!
I don't think that they will ask him to produce any paper says "I'm not married from another women " . Even he is American
Is he Muslim or Christian ?

Hi, thanks for your response. He told me that he is married already in Egypt now by power of attorney. We are both Muslim. He is originally Egyptian and I am American.

You are welcome.
So .why he want to divorce you ?
He knows that he can marry 4 womens according to islam rules.

Ahmed.mikano wrote:

You are welcome.
So .why he want to divorce you ?
He knows that he can marry 4 womens according to islam rules.

Islamic law is not US law so, if he returns to the US, he could face legal action there. His first wife absolutely has the right to divorce him and very possibly claim damages or the lion's share of joint property.
If you want Islam's view on the subject, I understand the man must have permission from the first wife so he's buggered in Islamic law as well.
For Egyptian law, you need someone who's familiar with it.

A thought (Wild extension) - If the man married to get US citizenship/residence, he could very possibly lose it if the allegations of a second marriage are correct.