Maternity leave in Oman

Hello everybody. I have been browsing through the forum and cannot find a post that helps me answer my question.

I am working at a private school in Oman. I have already completed one year so I am eligible for maternity leave. I am due in November (first week). I want to take maternity leave from 24th September to 11th November which is 50 days- the number of days I am allowed according to Omani Labour Law. This is because this is my first pregnancy and  I want to rest before the delivery as I will have lots of help after the delivery when my family stay with me.

However, the school has told me that I cannot take leave a week before I am due. Please can someone who has knowledge of this confirm this. According to the OLL, there is no mention of when or how long before or after the leave must be taken. Only 50 days are mentioned, to cover pre- and post-delivery.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any information regarding this. Thank you in advance, it is most appreciated.

Hi all_things_genius,

50 days are granted towards the maternity break.

How many days before, or after the same can be availed is not the employer's concern.

Seems like your employer is pulling a fast one on you.

Throw the OLL references gently and softly at your employer; that might help them wisen up, or at atleast know that you are aware of the OLLs.

Else, you can also consult with some local labour lawyer and quote them as your reference.

Thank you Sumitran for your reply. I will see if the matter can be resolved internally first and go from there.

HI,

Can the employer apply for annual leave after taking maternity leave?

Please advice

Manang08 wrote:

HI,

Can the employer apply for annual leave after taking maternity leave?

Please advice

Hi Manang08,

Do you mean the 'employee' ??

Yes, the employee can combine her maternity leave along with her annual leave.

Thank you   :thanks:

Dear Manang08

As Mr Sumitran noted, an employee can apply to combine the annual leave with her maternity leave provided that she has completed at least 6 months of continous service with the employer.

However, the employer is not bound to reply positively to such application as the enjoyment of annual leave entitlement, either fully at a time or partly,  is subject to the business needs of the employer.

Thus, the employer can lawfully refuse to grant such application for combination of maternity leave and annual leave if it is likely to affect his/her business.

And just an additional information...that maternity leave can be availed of only three times during the whole  service tenure unless she changes the employer :/

If nothing is mentioned in the contract about maternity leave then will I be eligible for maternity leave?

Hi lazypuslu,

yes, you are still entitled to receive maternity leave even your employment contract does not specifically refer to it. There are some minimum rights that employers are bound to provide to their employees under the Labour Law of Oman. maternity leave is one.