'Why I left Malta.' - blog by Jean Galea.

Jean Galea is a self-described 'digital nomad.' Although he is born-and-bred Maltese,
he elected to leave Malta and now lives elsewhere. Here is his article. Any comments by the expat community in Malta?
https://jeangalea.com/why-i-left-malta/

Well, a true post from someone naive. The world is the same, not only Malta.

Every place have problems, every place have idiots, every place have good and bad side. If you're looking for a place without it, someone told me that heaven could be this place but, I doubt about it.

Maltaexpat64 wrote:

Jean Galea is a self-described 'digital nomad.' Although he is born-and-bred Maltese,
he elected to leave Malta and now lives elsewhere. Here is his article. Any comments by the https://www.expat.community in Malta?
https://jeangalea.com/why-i-left-malta/

If you haven't, please register the blog in the aptly named BLOGS section of the site.  The forum is more for discussions of topics.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

I think there are a lot of truths in the article, and no, no two places are the same. There are clear differences between countries, for better or worse.

I think he has articulted a lot of the negatives of Malta such as the pollution, corruption, lack of professionalism and lack of law enforcement.

Of course, such an article explaining his motivation for leaving it will always focus more so on the negatives. No place is perfect, but some are closer to perfection than others.

Normal complaints from a native of a country to justify why he is leaving... if I wrote an article about why I left Colombia and I don't consider to go back you would find a similar article... so yep for an expat, I don't think this is useful :D i do not deny says some things that are true, however you tend to be reallllyyy tough with your native country at the time to criticise...

interesting read, but like others state - same problems everywhere - not malta specific.
Focus on good things rather than bad is always the better option i feel and there is no end of good things in malta

He has a lot of good points. I am here more than 5 years now, and that's enough. Next year we'll move on.
Most of the benefits become less important with time ... or even turn into the opposite. On the other hand, you'll get used to certain nuisances  :joking:

I agree with the previous comments, most of the mentioned things you can find everywhere else, too. There was even a reason why I left Austria  :/
Only due to the small size of Malta, things appear in a more concentrated form.

He isn't naive, he's realistic. I've been in Malta almost 3 years (except for the summers), and it can only take so much overcrowding, over development and destruction of nature before it becomes an unpleasant place to live. My mum was born here and immigrated to Canada- of course not perfect, but by virtue of its size and diversity (in both cities vs rural, climates, east vs west), it's pretty easy to find a place that fits an indiv person.
I really like Malta and for now have my reasons for being here but does Canada have the same problems? Not by a long shot. I thank my lucky stars my parents chose to go there!!
My biggest complaint would be the cost of living in the places in Canada I want to live.
I wish John Galea the best in his new adventure and congratulate him for putting it out there rather than just brushing the truth under the carpet.

Wherever you live, time does not stand still and apart from this, "Things never were the way they used to be". The corruption I met in local government in the UK, especially over illegal construction on protected sites and the illegal "legal" moves to suppress any and all objectors exceeds anything I have found in Malta. Although nowhere is exempt from crime, I can honestly say that this is one of the safest places I have lived in or visited in the world. I have found the Maltese to be tolerant and excepting in a way unheard of in the UK, where living in the next post code area can lead to confrontation and violence amongst street gangs. Even amongst adults, moving to another area where you do not have ten generations in the local grave yard, can leave you socially isolated. I do recognise the Maltese experience of Malta will be different from those arriving with a degree of financial stability behind them, but all of my Maltese associates seem to have found a worth while life, despite the frustrations outlined in the article, so maybe it's a case of "wherever you go, there you are". Some people are doomed by their own personality always to have a glass half empty and changing glasses does not make any difference without a parallel change in the lens of perception.