When do the fireworks end?

I'm really struggling. It's been every day for the last week, from before 8am until after 11.30pm.

The last couple of nights they are so bad our apartment  is shaking.

I also can't stand listening to the terrified dogs.

I know it's tradition but I don't get it.

Does Festa season go on much longer?

My colleagues said it goes till around end of September...Almost had a heart attack, Saint Dominic's Festa in Valletta...right under my window...

As far as I know NOT before the end of September.. And if you live in the centre of Malta you can 'enjoy' them from all the towns around you, and be sure there is another town 'celebrating' every night. Malta is known for its love for fireworks, often the louder the better. I personally like the nice-looking ones when it's dark, but I'll never understand why anyone would shoot fireworks during the daytime...

Yea they shoot fireworks during the daytime. I remember some festa in Victoria (Gozo) mid August - what a joke. The main firework display started at around 7pm...

Unfortunately it does go on until mid-end September.

It's not just the fireworks either. They love petards (literally the most retarded thing ever invented) - lots of noise - that's it.

Just Google petards malta, petard free zones malta, etc... We were lucky in that we rented a apartment in a very residential area far away from any fireworks. We could still see/hear them every evening but at least they weren't right next door.

Ah, I thought there was a lot more noise without the light very time.

It's such a waste of money! I like a good colourful firework display (at night) every now again, from a distance. But this has put me off that for life.

This is not good for my blood pressure!

It's not so bad where we are.  We do hear them, but it doesn't sound anything like what you're experiencing.

I must be the only one loving them - colourful ones and the petards :D it makes me feel like there's a constant party in Malta, I really missed them when I was away for a week!  Sometimes I do get annoyed when they wake me up at 8.30am but it's usually over quite quick. It hugely depends on where you live, maybe Balzan is especially bad and what you've been hearing the last few days is probably coming from Lija (amazing fireworks display tonight!! :D) Naxxar is ok when it comes to petards and noise in general. Lots of feasts in August and September, agree with previous posters that it will only quieten down from October.

Yip, we are at the top of Balzan so the fireworks in Lija have been right behind us.

No doubt much nicer from a distance!

Lija will be over after the weekend and it's back to the usual pettards

I think Attard is next week though. Slightly further away but still close. Also when walking to work in B'kara they are letting them off at 8am too -makes me jump each time!

Between watching for the traffic, being careful on the pavements, trying not to pass out in the heat and then the petards - im a nervous wreck!

Gozo being so small you hear all the petards and fireworks going off on the island.

7:32 AM I thought the ottomans were trying to attack Valletta.

9.50am and none here so far this morning - first time all week! They must have used them all up last night 😄 Woohoo!

Same here feline, I was able to have a proper lie in today! :D I actually did google 'petards malta' as mantasmo suggested and I'm horrified what some people in certain localities have to go through! We're so lucky in Naxxar, maybe it's because we're on a hill, I don't know. But ask me again when it's mid September and we're having our feast here in the village ;)

Swieqi and Pembroke are some of the quieter areas that are still very central.

In Gozo anywhere on the outskirts of Victoria (Rabat) is usually pretty quiet (depends on neighbours though). Sannat seems to be relative quiet as well except for the stadium there.

Another reason I am so glad not to be there in the summer.... Hang in there.

mantasmo wrote:

Swieqi and Pembroke are some of the quieter areas that are still very central.

In Gozo anywhere on the outskirts of Victoria (Rabat) is usually pretty quiet (depends on neighbours though). Sannat seems to be relative quiet as well except for the stadium there.

Everywhere in Gozo is noisy all through the summer with Maltese tourists!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

Everywhere in Gozo is noisy all through the summer with Maltese tourists!

Ray

Honest to God we lived in a quiet place. :) I guess we just got very lucky that we didn't have any tourist rentals around us - just normal family homes. It was specifically on Triq Ċangar (overlooking Sannat in the distance).

I feel for you guys - Maltese tourists are crazy loud and for some reason absolutely inconsiderate. :( When we were looking at rentals a very nice estate agent tried to talk us into renting a modern flat in a holiday apartment complex in Ghajnsielem - we walked in through the main gates and holy shit the noise hit us like a... :)

I like the fireworks ... or got used to them ... but I do not like the single shots during the day, especially while driving and one of these bombs explode in short distance  :o
True, end of September the fireworks will slow down, but then the hunting season opens until January  :mad:

Some of the Holiday Resorts even lauch their private fireworks between the village festas  :rolleyes:

However, try to come to Birgufest at 8th and 9th October ... this is an awsome Maltese tradition  :top:

What's Birgufest all about then?

The whole village is (almost) only illuminated by candles. Churches and monastries open their gardens to the public ... plus lots of food, drink, music  :)

1st October is Bianca Notte in Valletta, also a must see, at least once ... thousands of people there ... too many sometimes ...

I'm not a big fan of crowds to be honest. In fact, they make me a bit anxious.

Birgufest sounds good, but is it generally very busy?

1st October I think I will be in Gozo anyway with family

Where I am  renting at present, things are due to kick off this week end, but I remember working in stables in England and having to sit up till the small hours guarding the horses from the local young "gentlemen" who regularly through fireworks into the stables to panic and injure the horses, to say nothing of possibly start a lethal fire.  They may be noisy here, but, as of yet, I have not seen anything like this amongst the Maltese, so it does give perspective at least.

matm911 wrote:

The whole village is (almost) only illuminated by candles. Churches and monastries open their gardens to the public ... plus lots of food, drink, music  :)

1st October is Bianca Notte in Valletta, also a must see, at least once ... thousands of people there ... too many sometimes ...

This sounds amazing!!!!! Going to have to visit this!

fireworks are a waste of money. Money that could be spent on repairing roads, planting trees or cleaning up the multitude of broke down buildings. Money could go towards building facilities for the overweight children of the country to keep active and have some fun.

matm911 wrote:

Thanks for this info matm911! Really looking forward to both Birgufest and Bianca Notte :) Although I'm not too keen on big crowds either I find Malta less crowded than other cities at big events like that.

Hamrun must be one of the worst places - you hear the ones from the own town, Sta Venera, Marsa, Valletta, Floriana, and considering how many we've heard, I suppose Gwardamangia, Pietà, Msida, Ta Xbiex and possibly even Sliema and Qormi can be heard.

I also find quite stupid shooting them in plain daylight, and more or less 80 % of the ones by night only make smoke. The colourful ones at night are nice and those don't bother me.

They kept me awake a couple of nights when they were most intense.

I would really ban all petards, and only permit the colourful fireworks on the last day of the festa and never later than 23:00.

P.S: It's not that the Ottomans are still attacking, it seems that the Luftwaffe and the Regia Aeronautica have joined in!

I am afraid people often wonder why the Maltese have a dislike for Foreigners living in Malta if you do your research before you come to Malta to live its clear about the Fiesta Season and Fireworks which are a big part of Maltese Culture - Maltese Fireworks are some of the biggest in the world - The displays are spectacular and as for dogs our Dog is definitely Maltese and is not fazed by them at all and goes to look on the roof. Given the hunting season and fireworks I am pretty sure that bangs are not going to worry the majority of dogs so the solution is to do your research before you come, or move to an area not plagued by fireworks - I like Malta 80% of the time there are things I dont like but I have learnt to accept the traditions - But perhaps not the driving standards

It doesn't matter how much research you do, until you experience living here you don't know what it's really like and how you're going to react to it.

Just because your dog isn't bothered doesn't mean others aren't - and cats. We've heard them howling and whimpering when they've been left outside and it's pretty well established that many animals react badly to fireworks. This also adds to the noise.

We were well aware of the Festas and firework tradition but had no idea the extent they go to, all day long... When you look for details online about dates of events they are spread out, varied areas etc but that is not the reality of things. We hadn't experienced petards before or how loud they are. And we weren't expecting it to be going on after midnight and then again from 8am the next morning.

I've heard plenty of Maltese people at my work complaining about them too so it's not just foreigners.

felinefine81 wrote:

It doesn't matter how much research you do, until you experience living here you don't know what it's really like and how you're going to react to it.

Just because your dog isn't bothered doesn't mean others aren't - and cats. We've heard them howling and whimpering when they've been left outside and it's pretty well established that many animals react badly to fireworks. This also adds to the noise.

We were well aware of the Festas and firework tradition but had no idea the extent they go to, all day long... When you look for details online about dates of events they are spread out, varied areas etc but that is not the reality of things. We hadn't experienced petards before or how loud they are. And we weren't expecting it to be going on after midnight and then again from 8am the next morning.

I've heard plenty of Maltese people at my work complaining about them too so it's not just foreigners.

Never mind the fireworks you will be complaining about the hunting soon.

A lot of Maltese complain about illegal hunting, petards, noise in general... There are countless petitions, newspaper articles about it, etc. It's definitely not just the foreigners.

Also - Maltese firework displays are very average. I've seen many and the ones they do in Malta are nice, but far from the "best". Not even close.

I have not met a single person who likes the loud banging noise of the fireworks (nor the chemical smell in the air that lingers). Actually that's not entirely true- my mum did try and defend it but she hasn't actually lived in Malta in the summers since the 60s and I'm sure it's got much worse. She may also be getting them confused with the onslaught of bombing she experienced as a child.... :(

What puzzles me is who actually pays for all these fireworks?

If you live in St.Paul's Bay you can hardly notice them, you hear two or three sporadic petards and then on one or two special nights you hear and see the proper firework type and that's it, perfectly ok. The trouble is if you live in Hamrun or other areas.

I suppose that it is one of the few things the Councils do, but don't ask me where they take the money, since there is no Council Tax.

felinefine81 wrote:

That is so true. I also made all my research in front of the monitor, but instead of real information you only get opinions. They are like news, only the bad one are interesting  ;)
On the other hand all positive aspects comes from several tourism sectors, also not very objective ...

In another post someone asked what would you advise other people who want to come to Malta ? And my answer was: do NOT make too much research.
Sounds strange, but same as studying politics in China, online research about a country you want to live in is not exactly the best way.

I read about summer and winter in Malta, but comming here in July 2014, I was not prepared facing 3 days later the hottest day since ages (40.7°C) which made even the 500m walk to the ice cafe a torture.
I thought not beeing a wimp would protect me against Maltese winters ... but since the long cold rainy winter 2 years ago, I value my electric heating blanket  :)

Best way to research a country is to go there. As simple as that. This will cost you more money than reading tons of online stuff, but at the end this will turn out as best investment into your own future.

Wow,  no wonder there are lots of them.

I totally agree. The things I am finding hard I knew about before I arrived - maybe not the extent of some of them though. But most of these things I didn't think would be a problem.

Eg noise - I didn't think I was particularly noise sensitive until I came here. Turns out I am! (Especially to fireworks!)

Or the heat - when I read the typical temperatures I thought, I've experienced that and been fine. We were in Utah a few weeks before we moved: it was 46/47 degrees and I was hot - but fine! But the heat here is different - the humidity is overwhelming. I also find it much tougher than I thought to go out and get things done - totally different to how you manage on a holiday.

I knew I'd find the traffic difficult and I was right!

Even with all the research, nothing prepared me for how i was going to react. I thought I was quite an adaptable person and willing to put up with a lot in order to live in the sun and explore a new country . Turns out I was wrong on that too. I've learned a lot about myself so that's one thing I suppose.

felinefine81 wrote:

I totally agree. The things I am finding hard I knew about before I arrived - maybe not the extent of some of them though. But most of these things I didn't think would be a problem.

Eg noise - I didn't think I was particularly noise sensitive until I came here. Turns out I am! (Especially to fireworks!)

Or the heat - when I read the typical temperatures I thought, I've experienced that and been fine. We were in Utah a few weeks before we moved: it was 46/47 degrees and I was hot - but fine! But the heat here is different - the humidity is overwhelming. I also find it much tougher than I thought to go out and get things done - totally different to how you manage on a holiday.

I knew I'd find the traffic difficult and I was right!

Even with all the research, nothing prepared me for how i was going to react. I thought I was quite an adaptable person and willing to put up with a lot in order to live in the sun and explore a new country . Turns out I was wrong on that too. I've learned a lot about myself so that's one thing I suppose.

How many times did you visit Malta before deciding to move here? and did you visit at different times of year?

Ray

Actually, the heat is not that bad this year ... :) I mean, sure it's hot, but it's been pretty steady, no peaks above 35 this year as far as i know ... Rain/thunderstorms expected today or tomorrow.

Anyways, as said, fireworks will finish end of September. Yes, they are retarded.

Feline, it seems you have some hard time adapting (been reading your blog too). It can happen, don't get too discouraged, just maybe try to stop comparing everything to how it is back at home, and it might be easier. Just get into the Maltese flow, if you can :) Good luck, sincerely.

I think that it's best to move and experience the country for 6+ months before making a decision to settle down long term. Of course that's not always possible.

Stuff like you move in - neighbors are crazy loud/obnoxious. All of them - upstairs, downstairs, across the street, tourist rentals around you, etc.

Or when we stayed in a hotel in winter 2013/2014 it was nice and warm in our room. Because we had good AC and stuff. Then we moved to a long-term apartment and quickly found ourselves freezing to death from around 7 pm to 10 am (the temperature inside was around +17 at nights, plus high humidity and no AC/heating made things miserable). Nice views though.

Festas/petards are not a year round thing. Also depends very much on where you're staying as well.

Hunting is ***** annoying and goes on all year. It's fine if you never go hiking. But it's annoying having to look out for hunting dogs, bird traps and other crap when out hiking. Really, really annoying. Also closed off public paths everywhere.

So yeah basically it's best to move, immerse yourself in the experience and then make a decision to stay/move some time down the line.