Close

Mould mites!


Hello! I moved to Malta and in with my boyfriend 2 weeks ago. The apartment we live in feels rather humid- even more than I was expecting living on an island. We have been having a lot of trouble keeping everything dry, especially in the bedroom which has a lot of windows that constantly have condensation on them and an ensuite bathroom that doesn't have a fan in it.

Anyways, yesterday morning I awoke to find a tiny white bug on my phone and then I looked at the bedside table to find several of them crawling around. They are white and pretty much look like moving grains of salt. We have researched it and determined that they are mould mites and are probably a result of the humidity and mildew in our bedroom. We vacummed and bleached all the furniture in the bedroom and turned on a dehumidifier/air conditioner in the bedroom. Despite all of that we awoke and the mites were back this morning.

Has anyone else on the island had any trouble with these? Does anyone have any tips to control the humidity and dampness in the apartment? Does anyone know where we can get moisture traps in Sliema?
We are new to this humid climate and we could use some tips! All help is welcome!

perfumed cat litter does the job too....

open windows and keep the airflow going - gas bottled fires dont help - use the dehumidifiers and get elec blankets for the beds - or fleecy blankets all help to control humidity and dampness

amazon do a range of rechargable units for wardrobes

I have no experience or knowledge of mould mites but I do have lots of experience of damp. In my opinion, the dehumidifier on the air con unit is in no way comparable to using an actual stand alone dehumidifier. I had the exact same problems as you except the mould mites. Using a stand alone dehumidifier regularly throughout the Autumn and Winter has solved most of the issues that I had.

Adequate ventilation is the key and dress for the cooler months indoors. It doesn't matter what you look like so thermals and lots of warm clothing, rather then excessive heating. Agree gas fires generate a lot of water vapour.

Also, some may laugh but we brought a tumble drier with us for remedying damp clothing and use a laundry service for our major items so they come back dry and sealed. Also store clothing in vacuum packs, plastic sealed boxes etc. It's only for a few months and it will be worse in a few weeks time than it is now.

To assist others. See here: http://www.mouldportal.com/mould_mites.html

The mould mite is a species of mite that feeds on moulds. If you have a mould problem in your home, chances are that you will also have mould mites. Mould mites are found worldwide and have a very short life cycle meaning that they can reproduce rapidly. They will thrive in locations where they can find a source of suitable food which could be foodstuffs in your home that have gone mouldy or mould that is growing behind your furniture, in the bathroom or in your loft space.
Mould mites can cause allergic reactions in humans resulting in itching and even respiratory problems. If you suspect that your home may be harbouring mould mites then you need to rid yourself of them.
Throw out any mouldy foodstuffs and clean out the areas where the food was stored. Remove mould from walls and other surface by wiping down with a mould remover that contains a fungicide. Wash or dry clean clothing, rugs etc that may be harbouring mould.
To prevent mould mites keep your home well ventilated and as dry as possible. Try to minimise the amount of water vapour in the home. Vacuum regularly to rid your home of the dust that can harbour mould mites or their eggs.

Mawfaw :


Hello! I moved to Malta and in with my boyfriend 2 weeks ago. The apartment we live in feels rather humid- even more than I was expecting living on an island. We have been having a lot of trouble keeping everything dry, especially in the bedroom which has a lot of windows that constantly have condensation on them and an ensuite bathroom that doesn't have a fan in it.

Anyways, yesterday morning I awoke to find a tiny white bug on my phone and then I looked at the bedside table to find several of them crawling around. They are white and pretty much look like moving grains of salt. We have researched it and determined that they are mould mites and are probably a result of the humidity and mildew in our bedroom. We vacummed and bleached all the furniture in the bedroom and turned on a dehumidifier/air conditioner in the bedroom. Despite all of that we awoke and the mites were back this morning.

Has anyone else on the island had any trouble with these? Does anyone have any tips to control the humidity and dampness in the apartment? Does anyone know where we can get moisture traps in Sliema?
We are new to this humid climate and we could use some tips! All help is welcome!

Hope you will find Malta welcoming :):):)
I had a similar problem in Zurieq where I rented a old house.  Tried lots and lots of remedies but the only one worked was a spray called ACE.  It comes in a 1L bottle with spray nozzle attached. Just spray it thoroughly on all the walls especially behind kitchen counters and other furniture etc.
It will disappear in a day or two.
[Moderated: Unnecessary]
This spray is available in plant nurseries for a mere 2euros.
Hope you find this helpful.  :):):)

Hi all,

Please note that some off topic comments have been removed from the thread.
Could we just keep calm please?

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

I've looked for this spray in a few stores in Sliema and none of the owners seems to have heard of it. Is it a bug spray or cleaning spray? Can you specifically remember where you have bought it or where you have seen it?

Thanks, Martha :)

I would not go by what smile2all wrote as he was a 'troll' and has been banned. (Incorrect information and impersonation.)
The only ACE spray I found on-line was an industrial/agricultural chemical. I would consider that dangerous to use in any domestic context.

This is why we have to be vigilant and check what some people write, particularly without evidence. We know who we can trust and we know that we give information in good faith. Unfortunately, sometimes, there will be some who deliberately cause trouble and undermine the integrity of this excellent forum.

Mawfaw :

I've looked for this spray in a few stores in Sliema and none of the owners seems to have heard of it. Is it a bug spray or cleaning spray? Can you specifically remember where you have bought it or where you have seen it?

Thanks, Martha :)

This ace is available in buggiba area near to maypole shop and I purchased it for 2.3 euros and it is effective. Thanks.

Try using cat litter in small trays around the room
It works  for getting rid of the damp. Someone on here told me.
In each wardrobe too.  Hope it helps get on top of your
damp problem.

Naz23 :

Try using cat litter in small trays around the room
It works  for getting rid of the damp. Someone on here told me.
In each wardrobe too.  Hope it helps get on top of your
damp problem.

Oh I tried the cat litter remedy but didn't work on getting rid of the mites. This ACE chemical is quite helpful.

But if you have no damp then the mites
can't live right? I can say about mites as I don't
think we have them. But I will keep an eye out.
Good luck on killing the little buggers!

I haven't come across ACE. The one I use is called HG Mould Spray. Effective, but about four times the price of ACE.

A word of warning. Treat this stuff with respect. I gave my bedroom a major treatment a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd be fine retreating to the lounge. It wasn't long before both my cuppa and my ciggy didn't taste quite right. Cue open every window and door in the house, fast.

Wear gloves and ventilate thoroughly !

I found that tea tree oil works really really well. It kills the mites and the mold.  Mix 10ml tea tree oil with 500ml of water in an opaque bottle. Spray it every where and ventilate properly, dehumidify and so on. They with be gone in a few days. I found the tea tree oil worked better than everything else we tried.

Do you know or understand why I am the only one who has been having a serious problem??? There are 5 ppl in our home, but my husband and my bedroom where he, our youngest, and I sleep is the worst, but I am the one suffering alone

jrock31.jd :

Do you know or understand why I am the only one who has been having a serious problem??? There are 5 ppl in our home, but my husband and my bedroom where he, our youngest, and I sleep is the worst, but I am the one suffering alone

Firstly, do you realise you are posting on the MALTA forum? Doubt whether anyone can help with 'Mould Mites' in Illinois!
Secondly, you are posting on a topic from 2013!

Ray

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Malta

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malta

Moving to Malta

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malta

Travel insurance in Malta

Enjoy stress-free travel to Malta