Loud noises

What is all the loud banging noises that we can hear from St. Paul's bay?

fireworks

Petards  = tis the season....

During the day it's lasted such a long time must of cost a fortune....

:)

youtube.com/watch?v=UplJBQi_0_w

Probably fireworks, but there's a shooting range in Bidnija too. I had to ask my neighbour why I was still hearing guns going off every day right after the hunting season was closed early. You don't hear it at the weekend though, it's drowned out by the dozens of arseholes screaming up the St Pauls Bay Bypass on their motorbikes for 6 hours a day.  :D

Thanks, I thought that we were being bombed.

Mortars  :D

I have lived in Xemxija with my Wife since December. 2014. and we have been experiencing noise since we moved here. There has been building work on two particularf flats and the noises start at around 0600hrs every morning including Sundays with a Refuse Wagon going to the rear of the Hotel at the back of us every morning between 0530 to 0600. then around 0600hrs Cranes, Concrete Mixers, Concrete Pumping Machines, Scaffolding Wagons and so called Builders Grinding Away, Shuttering Joiners Banging and Knocking Away so we are awoken every morning at 0500hrs to 0600hrs and someone advised us that this was the quite end of St.Pauls Bay but we would not recommend this area and when our contract expires we will definetely move away.

It's going to get a lot worse in Xemxija if they start building the new mega-project at the old Mistra Village site. As if Malta really needs another 744 apartments to add to the tens of thousands of properties already sitting empty..

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ved.492756

The noise pollution on parts of this island is astonishing....

Is it from construction work, because i was led to believe that construction work stops in high season

There are some regulations about the times for building works, only week-days between 7am and 3pm I think, not sure about high season, could be though. But this is Malta, regulations are just ignored and flaunted.

I am sure that there are strict EU regulations on vehicle emissions, but do they get enforced here? You can't drive or walk anywhere for any length of time without seeing black smoke belching from dozens of exhausts. Rules? What rules?

are any laws enforced...!

Toon wrote:

are any laws enforced...!

None whatsoever. And that's not just Malta, it's anywhere south of Milan!!

Welcome to the Med.  :D

oh so true......

That's not encouraging. I am moving to malta in September, to start work in the construction industry. Do you think I will have trouble getting paid  ?

Health and safety and especially in the construction industry is not top of the list either...

Cant speak of getting paid - as have no experience of that element - anyone else here in construction have that experience and can enlighten us.

All i will say is be wary of doing a trial period or probation as these are often unpaid in other fields  but they dont tell you that .. until its time to go

When I visited the island in may I spoke to a scaffolder, he said health and safety was a nightmare. if you didn't have the right tickets and safety equipment you got fined by the main contractor

hughes40 wrote:

When I visited the island in may I spoke to a scaffolder, he said health and safety was a nightmare. if you didn't have the right tickets and safety equipment you got fined by the main contractor

The only scaffolding I've seen being used on three different buildings near us is - 2 spikes hammered into the brickwork with a plank laid across and a rope to grab if you fall off and this from 3 floors up!

I don't think 'builders' here would know what  a health and safety certificate is, as for safety equipment, the only person I've seen wearing a hard hat is the local sheep farmer using one as a crash helmet when he is riding his scooter! (That is if the weather isn't too hot, in which case he doesn't bother)

Ray

Hahaha excellent   😂

Toon wrote:

Health and safety and especially in the construction industry is not top of the list either...

Almost every month there is a story of a construction worker being seriously injured or killed in Malta, it's not a safe industry to be working in down here. Do a google search and you'll see what I mean -

construction worker  site:timesofmalta.com

This is a classic too, it's better than some episodes of Blackadder  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqGs4VG8u8

I watched my landlord and a plumber stick a piece of wood between two windows of the 1st floor appartment below so he could fix the pipe to out appartment - it was neither safe or wise ... But was quite funny to watch - things people will do to avoid paying for scaffolding