What vehicle(s) do you drive?

We're planning to head to Belize by driving through Mexico in about 6 months. We will rent and stay in various districts before deciding where to settle.

None of our current vehicles are young enough to qualify under the QRP. Therefore, we'll need to purchase something.

The question is, what vehicle and do we buy stateside or in Belize?
We do not want to be a target for theft (either in Mexico or Belize), nor do we want to bring something in that is of no use, as we like the rough roads!
We know there are several car dealerships in Belize City--how well do they work with QRP folks?

What do you drive? What has been your experience with maintenance and warranty work?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Welcome on the forum babsumi ;)

I hope that other members will give you some advices about the most appropriate type of vehicle that you should buy!

Regards

I answered this once already but don't know what happened to my answer - here it is again.

I came over on the QRP, but for personal reasons will not be bringing a vehicle over on the program, so I bought a Toyota 4runner.  I found a great Expat mechanic in the Cayo area, and he says Toyota's and Rodeo SUV's are the best cars to buy in Belize due to ease of getting parts and the parts not being too expensive.

Being on the QRP will not matter to car dealersships here.  Buying a vehicle is pretty straightforward.  Make sure the cost includes all of the duites, etc. the dealer or owner paid to get the car over here (usually they bring them in from the States themselves).  You will then have to pay for registration and insurance, which is about $250 USD total. 

I recommend ICB (Insurance Corporation of Belize) for insurance.  I would not bother buying a car in the States or Mexico if you can't use the QRP as not only will you have to pay the duties, but also the shipping costs, etc.  Easier to let the dealerships deal w/ that if you ask me.  Make sure you have any car thoroughly checked out by a mechanic before buying.

Hope this has been helpful.

Sharon (wealthships)

Thank you Sharon!

Your information is very helpful! More food for thought---

-babs

I like the idea of purchasing a small 4x4 pickup in belize however I have been informed that the price for used trucks is too high price in the corozal area and one should consider purchasing in chetumal,cancun areas and importing it into belize.
Does anyone have any thoughts or advise on this idea.

Hi SAMDOLLY, welcome on Expat-blog!

I will suggest you to start a new topic with your questions on the Belize forum.

Thank you very much,
Christine