Safe and legit way to move valuable items from USA to HCM city?

Hello everyone, I was contracted as a songwriter for a music company in Ho Chi Minh city and finally decided it would be so much easier to work with the artists in person than long distance.

I need to move my belongings and some musical equipment safely without worrying about loss/damage etc. I have about 15-20 high value items guitars/amplifiers to bring aside from my clothes and some belongings.  I was going to bring my car (Honda CRV) but was advised against it so I suppose I'll sell that before I leave.  Can anyone recommend a legit company to use? I can travel to ship my stuff from LA or directly from where I am now in Arizona. Thank you

Have you sent a list of these items to the company you will be working with?  You might find that for some, particularly the heavier amplifiers, they can tell you if suitable replacements are available in Vietnam.  Then you could ship the lighter guitars as excess baggage when you travel by air.

Hi Noah I'm trying to do exactly the same thing from Australia  the only reply I received so far was ,  if you want to keep your stuff don't send .a lot of things get stolen on the way. Surly there must be a safe way. Maybe  bring your guitars on excess baggage.  I wish I did.

There is a safe way, but it will cost a lot. VN custom officers are notorious thiefs.

There is a safe way, but it will cost a lot. VN custom officers are notorious thiefs.

:o

I have looked into it and have lots of musician friends there.  Unfortunately, there are no suitable replacements in Vietnam for the equipment I'd need or would even want to use. Guitar equipment in Vietnam is either years behind what is currently available elsewhere, or brands that I do not like at all.  It seems crazy that I can't find a legit way to send my stuff. I've played in Taiwan, China, Indonesia, Thailand and never had any problems bringing my stuff in.

Welcome to Vietnam.   :cool:

You really need to throw this back on your partners/sponsors.  They are in Vietnam and presumably local so let them untangle the shipping/customs mess.  Easier for them than for you.

You haven't indicated how long you intend to stay.  You are probably truly eligible for a business visa, unlike many who get bogus letters from travel agents.  You will need a letter from your partners.  I never went that route so I can't say more but the time to start on that is now.  If you will be getting a salary and staying more than 90 days, you can apply for a work permit after you arrive, again with the cooperation of your sponsor.  You need to  research what documents you will need.  There will be unique documents in your case but you will definitely need a criminal records check before you depart.  State level is OK.  There is plenty of discussion of work permits elsewhere on this forum but mostly oriented to ESL teachers.

Thanks for the info! I  got a 5 year visa already, so that's not an issue. Just getting my things there safely is all I'm really concerned about.

A 5 year visa means you are either married to a VN or have Vietnamese heritage, is that correct.

Yes that is correct

Can't you get the relatives to sort something out this end.

Noah007 wrote:

I  got a 5 year visa already, so that's not an issue.

Assuming you mean a 5 year VEC that is good but I still want to point out that the VEC does not entitle you to work.  Best to bring the police check along just in case.  Also unless you have a bachelor's degree in Music, you might need something to prove 5 years of experience.  You certainly must have it but documenting it could be another story.  Of course if your are yourself a Viet Kieu you will not stick out and could just elect to fly under the radar.

Thanks I'll bring a police check...I actually didn't think of that and have 20 years of experience recording, touring, etc.  Have a song on the country charts right now. Should be easy to prove. I've been doing this a long time and actually have never met a "professional" touring or recording musician with a degree in  Music...lol! The only guys I know with degrees in music ended up teaching. Thanks for the helpful advice, I appreciate the response. And no my family there is clueless about shipping large things in. I've shipped boxes of clothes, etc in the past with no problems, but music gear is a different thing altogether.

Noah007 wrote:

Should be easy to prove.

You apparently have had only limited contact with Vietnamese bureaucrats.  :sick  Good luck.

Noah007 wrote:

I've been doing this a long time and actually have never met a "professional" touring or recording musician with a degree in  Music...lol!

Ludacris, Barry Manilow?  In your genre:  Reba McIntyre.  Granted it's a short and diverse list.  Of course professional classical musicians attend the top conservatories but they are not "touring."  Plenty of top professionals seem to have degrees but interestingly a lot seem to be in communications and advertising, something I didn't know until your comment challenged me to add to my storehouse of useless information.   :sosad:

Agree with Thigv, you cant come here and work legally on a VEC. To gain a work permit you will need either a bachelors degree in something or show experience. The government is difficult to deal with, you should be asking the company that has contracted you for advice.

I have a Bachelor's of Science degree .hopefully that's all I need

If you have that, your company can obtain a work permit for you.

Hi Noah. Ray here . You have probably  checked out the many recording studios in hcm on line they seem well equipt and describe they stuff in detail.  Being a drummer I don't understand the specs of their equipment but their drums are up to standard.   There is a street in hcm with guitar shops with good recommendations from expats. But I know how fussy you guitarist are. I also want to bring a couple over but don't feel safe of them arriving in one piece or arriving at all. Maybe we're both a bit paranoid  .   I've only started researching the pros cons and don't know if I could be bothered any more. Especially as I don't have any gigs lined up.   As you've. Done shipping musical equipment be fore to other country's  that just confirms that trying to do any thing in Viet is so  hard. Good luck    Ray

Noah, If you already had all your equipment in Thailand once (as you indicated above), Then why now do it again and hire a truck that you can personally accompany to drive into Vietnam?

Just a thought.  Klaus

I can give you the name of the shipper I use. I get shipments many times a month and have never had one iota of a problem. He is well connected to customs officials here, and w/o going further , I can only say I have always been very happy. He is based out of Dallas however. I do know of a Vietnamese shipping company in San Jose, but I could not recommend them. If you would like to PM me I can give you the info.

Sorry not a solution, just another idea.
You need to bring 15-20 high value guitars and amps? In case you can live with less, you could bring a few items as excess baggage, then buy new ones in Vietnam. Probably the money you save in shipping will pay for them. You can order anything from Singapore or Bangkok, even Tokyo, it will be delivered COD. You don't get it, you don't pay. Anyway I don't see why a studio wouldn't provide/rent a lot of stuff for you.
Good luck, keep us updated on your solution, it will be helpful for others.

Diazo, yes please PM me with that info if you don't mind. Thank you!

I have decided to come over with much less than I originally planned, so started selling some of my stuff off little by little. it does seem that bringing stuff as extra baggage is the best solution and the one most people have recommended, so I'll do that unless one of the shipping companies works out.  Fortunately I'm lucky to have a large family with members who travel back and forth fairly often, so I can get them to bring a few things for me over the next year or so.
And yes, of course the studio has some gear they use, but  it's not equipment I personally like or would feel comfortable using for recordings.
But yeah, I've found that I was probably a bit unrealistic thinking what I could bring with me.

I have a similar question. I want to bring in a tower PC, it is high end and I'd rather bring it with me rather than try to replace it. I will be departing Seattle to HCM, and was thinking of bringing it in as excess baggage. From the thread it seems that that is the best way to go, but I was wondering what would be the best way to package it so it (hopefully) arrives intact?

I have a similar question. I want to bring in a tower PC, it is high end and I'd rather bring it with me rather than try to replace it. I will be departing Seattle to HCM, and was thinking of bringing it in as excess baggage. From the thread it seems that that is the best way to go, but I was wondering what would be the best way to package it so it (hopefully) arrives intact?

Actually excess baggage is a great way to bring it if it is packaged VERY well. They have packaging companies in the USA that and do a custom pack for you. You can even have it put in a wood crate. Which is what I would do and surround it well with foam or bubble wrap. I have done it both ways, with a shipper and in luggage. Not sure how easy it is going to be to clear customs. But I doubt it will be to difficult to prove it is for personal use as you surely have personal items on it. But just carry some cash with you and it should be no problem. Two dollar bills are highly sought after here. Hand the person asking question the documents ( money) in an envelope when he questions you if he does. I have never been asked and I see VNese bring everything in. But if you are a round eye, you probably should prepare. Not to worry everything here operates on what we call " coffee" money.. Good luck

. But if you are a round eye, you probably should prepare. Not to worry everything here operates on what we call " coffee" money.. Good luck

That probably explains why there are so many coffee shops in VN  :P

Exactly. But don't tell red the wannabe police. He thinks drinking coffee is illegal here like it is in Malaysia where he lives . But here we love our cofee!!