Advice on general services in Malta

Hi fellow expats,

I've recently moved to Malta, living in Sliema, from Australia.

I'm just getting started on exploring and finding my way around the place.

I would appreciate any advice on where to buy fresh food and groceries at a good price. 

I'm also after a fan for my apartment. Are there any department stores or hardware stores where I could buy one?

Recommendations for restaurants and other nice places to go would also be great. 

I'd also appreciate a recommendation for a good hairdresser as well. :-)

Here are some suggestions based on the assumption that you don't have a car...

Fan: Try GDS or Johnsons on Marina Street in Msida (you'd need to go by bus then catch a taxi back if you want a fan with a pedestal)
Fruit & Veg: It's usually the various vans parked in random streets that have the best selection and prices. Always ask for the price before ordering if it's not displayed
Restaurants: Depends a lot on what sort of food you're after and your budget. Amigos in Sliema has nice tacos and salads, The Avenue in Paceville has excellent pasta, Okurama in Paceville has all-you-can-eat sushi, Zeri's in St Julians is a good place for seafood.

Thanks, Lambada. Appreciate your reply and all your advice.

I also need to get a mobile phone plan. Any recommendations for that?

if you have a maltese ID (ending in M or L) you can get a phone plan from any of the major retailers - Go Voda but check who your freidns are with as they often have deals in relation to that.
but for us we have vodafone pre-paid - kinda... so we have the top up bundle POP Plan - POP Smart - €14.40 a month includes calls, texts and half a gig data and then half gig bundle for €5 per month so we have a 1GB per month data for a total of 19.40.
they take the money from our account whenever it expires. if it runs out you can just buy regular top up instead of having a bill to pay each month, and since they all lock you into 24 month contracts its less worry.
scotts supermarket have good prices and a variety of stuff and a great veggie section :)

IT2015 wrote:

if you have a maltese ID (ending in M or L) you can get a phone plan from any of the major retailers - Go Voda but check who your freidns are with as they often have deals in relation to that.
but for us we have vodafone pre-paid - kinda... so we have the top up bundle POP Plan - POP Smart - €14.40 a month includes calls, texts and half a gig data and then half gig bundle for €5 per month so we have a 1GB per month data for a total of 19.40.
they take the money from our account whenever it expires. if it runs out you can just buy regular top up instead of having a bill to pay each month, and since they all lock you into 24 month contracts its less worry.
scotts supermarket have good prices and a variety of stuff and a great veggie section :)

You can get a mobile phone plan from GO with just a passport, we did. We then got our eResidence cards and if you have to go that route rather than being a Maltese Citizen like 'IT2015' then your ID will end in an 'A' but that is just as acceptable for everything except use as a travel ID.

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

You can get a mobile phone plan from GO with just a passport, we did. We then got our eResidence cards and if you have to go that route rather than being a Maltese Citizen like 'IT2015' then your ID will end in an 'A' but that is just as acceptable for everything except use as a travel ID.

Ray

im glad they have updated their policies since i tried getting services with them before i had maltese ID. i still had issues with melita late last year because i am an L... i mentioned in a post on another thread how being malta has definitely taught me to be firm in knowing my rights and getting them :) so if you try to sign up with someone and they give you the run around make sure you tell them you know whats up :)