Part-time living in Gozo!

Hi, just a quick intro to everyone.  We're a couple (60/59) who've decided to have some 'us' time at last.  Having spent much of my working life away from home, it's payback time to my wife for running our home and raising our son without much help from me.  She has been an absolute star, so I think that the Med is the way forward for our semi or full retirement!  We are heading to Gozo 7-14 July on a recce as we both feel that Malta/Gozo offers far more to us than Spain (which was our 'Plan A' for many years).  I have a small pension from work which would cover rent, bills and expenses abroad, whilst our bank balance will keep the UK end ticking over.
Just wondering, does anyone else do, say, 2 months in Malta/Gozo and a month back in the UK as a sort of regular regime?  If so, is it working out nicely for you?  We have no issues about leaving a Gozo rented property empty around every third month over the coming few years but would be interested to hear if there are any obvious (to you forum members) pitfalls we're maybe not aware of.  As for health cover, we envisage carrying the EHC whilst it remains in action, plus travel insurance and still buy  any necessary UK prescriptions when at home.
We're not looking to become permanent residents as such, more like holidaymakers who can't stay away from the area for too long.  Does this sound like a plan?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.  If any members fancy linking up for a cheeky beer in Xlendi or Victoria when we're on the island, feel free to drop us a line.  Admittedly we are holidaying in Gozo for a first time impression, but we're hopeful.  All hints, tips and advice are more than welcome!

As far as renting somewhere and leaving it empty for 1 month out of 3 in Gozo, there would be no problem, it is done all the time by expats and Maltese with holiday homes here. Just be careful in the winter months as you could have a damp problem if not ventilated well.

Another plus for Gozo is that you can get around very well using the bus system which is excellent and not bother with a car for most of the time, whereas Malta's service suffers from major traffic problems. (As tourists, not residents, you will not get the 60+ concession)

Be aware that EHIC is only valid whilst you remain a tourist and will only get you basic emergency cover, it will also presumably cease when UK leaves EU as it is an EU agreement. If you became resident here you would lose your right to NHS cover in the UK until you started to receive your UK state pension and the EHIC would cease immediately.

Malta is of course more convenient for traveling backwards and forwards to the UK, it is a bit of a trek to the airport from here in Gozo.

Good luck,

Ray

Once you have moved here you will probably find that you will not want to leave and go back to a cold wet UK so often.

Thanks Ray, really useful tips there.  And Mo...... I think you may be right!

Hi Jacko,

I have lived in Malta GC for the last 5 years and pop back to UK regularly for Regimental reunions, weddings, Rugby at Twickenham etc.
Much as I love Gozo, I think you would find it a bit of a hassle to journey to the airport from there if you were a frequent traveller.
I live in Birzebbuga which is only 15 minutes from the airport and it takes the strain out of travel.
Always up for a drink if you are in my area.
Go well.

Jon

I think I'm heading down the same path!
I'm still based in London as a musician but want to split my time between here and Malta either renting or buying.
Wondered why you favour Gozo and would value some feedback. Please keep me in your loop and perhaps meet up as and when we're both over there?
Cheers

Depends on how often you need to get to the airport, if its only once every few months theres no problem living in Gozo maybe a pain if you were going every week.

Not nearly as painful as say East London to Heathrow.

Plus.... soon we will have a fast service from Gozo to Valetta and for our children they should have a tunnel from Gozo to the airport.  Unfortunetly

Great Anthony wrote:

Plus.... soon we will have a fast service from Gozo to Valetta and for our children they should have a tunnel from Gozo to the airport.  Unfortunetly

I will believe the fast ferry service when it happens and I think the politicians will still be talking about a tunnel in 20 years from now!
Ray