Naturalisation and citizenship in Scotland

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Scotland? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Scotland? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring British citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Hey,

Here's a useful link:
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c … -can-apply

And I have thought about it, but I have just moved here so I would have to wait another 5-6 years anyways. But I would definitely consider acquiring it then.

Interesting topic.

It would actually be naturalization to the United Kingdom as Scotland is one of the countries in the Union. I would have gone through with it years ago. At some point the government started charging fees, which have become too expensive for 2 of us as a couple to afford without going into debt. Hope this helps

My understanding is limited to a UK Ancestry Visa. As an Australian citizen on a 5 year Ancestry visa, I can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) at the end of that 5 year period or I can apply to extend my U.K. Ancestry visa for another 5 years. Our intention is to apply for an ILR. Then 1 year later, providing we meet visa requirements, we can apply for U.K. Citizenship.

Australians can hold dual UK-Australian citizenship.

Despite the issue of Brexit - Scotland is part of the U.K. now so our citizenship would be British. It may be different in years to come and we may have to choose Scotland or England. Given ever changing immigration laws we're remaining flexible.

One of the main advantages of citizenship is the freedom to move around the world without losing years of residency. Even with permanent residency on an ILR, if you are out of the country for a lengthy period, the clock can start ticking again. All visa applications and renewals take time and money so it's actually more affordable to go for citizenship.

With citizenship comes full working rights, to work for the government, and the ability to fully contribute to the country you call home.

One of the main issues with dual citizenship is taxation. You have to get professional advice so you're not financially disadvantaged.

Currently living in Glasgow - until we get our UK Citizenship and become dual Australian-UK citizens -  we're proud Auswegians.

I have recently looked into this and from my understanding you must either be attending a University, have a grandparent living there or or moved to the US, be relocated by your job or have a special skill that a U.K. Citizen does not and would not be qualified for the position you are applying for. I have tried and tried and tried to find ANYWAY of moving there. I have U.K. friends that own buisness and they would not be able to hire me over a U.K. Citizen. LOTS of paperwork.

I can see that the UK Ancestry Visa asks for grandparent lineage. Would great-grandparents (grandparent's parents) be considered?

No I'm afraid not. Only grand parents. You only need the one.

First of all, where are you a citizen of @ the moment. All depending on your answer, you could apply for a work permit and visa through the British embassy. Then near the end of your visa apply 4 citizenship. If you are European you don't need a visa @ the moment but that will change shortly with Brexit.