Moving to Sliema area - looking for school and other practical infos

Hi

I'm moving to Malta within the next month with my patner and daughter due to my partner having to relocate for work (it's been very short notice). I'm hoping you will be able to point me in the right direction on a few issues.

He will be based in Sliema and we will need to be based somewhere within a short bus journey/walking distance as we don't intend on trying to get a car straight away, if at all. Do you have any suggestions for places around Sliema that would be suitable for the commute and with a school nearby for my primary school aged daughter? Places to avoid would be good too!

The other property based issue I suppose is a swimming pool. We have a communal pool here in Spain and I'd love one when we move to Malta too especially for the hot summer days, but can't seem to find any properties around the Sliema area that have communal pools, are there any?

I've checked the government website and although it gives a list of schools it doesn't state how to register your child at a school, is this just done direct with the school? (she will be going to the local state school of wherever we end up)

Is there anything we have to do when we get there, his company will obviously point him in the right direction tax wise etc, but is there anywhere else we have to register in order to be able to access services? (In Spain we've had to get on the padron to get my daughter into school and get NIE numbers in order to get mobile phones, internet etc so I was wondering if it would be similar in Malta>)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kat

Can't give you a ton of info, but I wouldnt move to Sliema with a family. Look towards St. Julians which isn't that far. Also, its closer to many of the international schools (located in Pembroke).

Don't see many pools here in Malta other than ones at the "beach" clubs. Good luck!

Hey - can give you lots of info, and either by phone or email if you'd like - just let me know and I'll pass on my details.

Re places to live - Sliema is very built up and you're almost exclusively limited to apartment blocks. Tigne Point (Sliema) and Portomaso (nearby, in St Julians) are large, developments where you'll find communal pools, but they are pretty pricey. You're going to be better off in areas like St Andrews, Swieqi, Pembroke and Kappara for homes with pools, but as such the communal idea hasn't taken off too well here. You looking to buy or rent?

As for schools, that depends if you want to go government (free) or private. I dont think private schools are expensive when compared to the UK, but they're not cheap. Verdala international school is the most popular for expats, and its in Pembroke which isn't far from Sliema (though not walking distance).

As I said, happy to explain more.

Bestest!
Jo

hi!
it is rather difficult to find a flat with pool in sliema that wouldn t be pricey.
should you need help with renting, I do have a friend who rents out a lovely 3 bedroomed house in Sliema, and it is fully furnished... and very well, air conditioning, and close to amenities... but no pool .should u really desire a pool, i can suggest qawra, which is one bus away from sliema, around 25 minutes by bus at the most.
should you be interested, i know of an apartment with communal pool that is very reasonable by way of rent, in Qawra . do not hesitate to contact me on eilrit@hotmail.com... wishing you the best of times in Malta x

CostaKat wrote:

Hi

I've checked the government website and although it gives a list of schools it doesn't state how to register your child at a school, is this just done direct with the school? (she will be going to the local state school of wherever we end up)

Kat

Here's info from one Govt. School about registering:

mariareginacollege.net/faq.html#5

Otherwise, just email or call the appropriate Primary school from this list:

education.gov.mt/edu/schools/kind_primary.htm

Tim

Hi everyone

Thanks ever so much for all your help!

Those who have given me info on rental properties I may well be in touch once I arrive - thank you!

I may well be picking your brains in the weeks to come.

Thanks again

Kat

Hi Kat

I've been searching posts regarding schools in the Silema area and your post popped up. We are also moving very quickly as we have just found out my husband is being relocated to Malta and so we need to get a house and school sorted ASAP. I have a 7 year old who is currently in school in the US but I am keen to get him back to the english system as we are from the UK. Are you now settled and happy in Malta?

Hello JoFinlayson and welcome on board Expat.com

Thank you for your participation on this thread, however kindly note that the latter has been inactive since  2011. Hope you get some responses though! :top:

You can also check other threads in our section Schools & studies in Malta

This might help

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi Kat,

We are a british family who moved to Malta from Malaga last September, we had been in Spain for 10 years. We live in Swieqi and I have 3 children all in government school, it's pretty simple to sort out so I wouldn't worry too much, if you've lived in Spain and dealt with the endless form filling there Malta will be a breeze!!! As for a place with pool in the Sliema or any of its surrounding towns, unless you're willing to fork out a few thousand a month in rent you just ain't going to get one, believe me I have looked!  We too had a communal pool in Spain and it's something you really don't get in many places here, it's a big change from Malta to Spain so just prepare yourself you just have to resign yourself to the fact that living here is completly different. I must admit I think it's going to be a long sumner without the pool and my daughters will miss it so much but you just have to get used to it!!! On the other hand the sea is a damn sight warmer here than it ever gets in Malaga!!!

To get your daughter into school you are going to need, copy's of passports for her and the parents, copy of birth certificates ( is she born in Spain if so will need translating by an official translator) copy of her vaccinations, copy of your rental contract and that's it really I'm not sure how old your daughter is but it would also be wise to bring her most recent Notas from school so you can show them to her new school. You will also be sent to Qormi poly clinic for a medical for her which is basically just a TB test, they didn't even test my kids as soon as they saw british passports they just said you will be all clear and just gave us the signed certificate for them.  If you live in Sliema and surrounding areas she will fall into the catchment of Santa Clara college depending on where you live she will go to the Santa Clara school in your catchment if she's in Primary, if she's in secondary ( which they go to at 10 here) she will be in Pembroke secondary school.  My youngest is 9 she is in Pembroke primary, I have an 11yr old she is in pembroke secondary and a son who is in Gzira boys all 3 schools are part of Santa Clara College.
If your school is not in walking distance you will be offered free school transport anyway so you won't have problems getting her to school as the bus will collect her and drop her back.
You won't be able to do the application until you are actually in Malta but it's not a long drawn out process so don't worrry
If you need any more info let me know I'm happy to help
Kelly