Mistakes expats make in Ireland

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Ireland? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Ireland to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

There were people I contacted on the internet. They then convinced me to supply them with my bank details as a means they said of proving my address. I did and was surprised to find out that they took money from my account without my permission. Never ever give your bank details on the internet no matter what

Not really a mistake for Ireland only but also valid anywhere else in the world.

Do not stick too often with people talking the same native language you do. If you do so and especially if the purpose of coming in Ireland is to improve your english, you will fail terribly and waste your time. If it's in order to settle in, even worst as you will struggle socially at some stage and see your mates coming, leaving  but you're still there, you  have to create bonds with people who are willing to stay here in longterm and there are not that many so that's when you have to make proper local connections. The earlier you do, the better it is  because it does take a lot of time and patience to have some bonds with local and by that I  don't mean just a local drink buddy, I mean real friends of course ;)

Best of luck.

Kind regards,

Portgas D. Ace
(R.)

Usually if you cone to Ireland specially to the Non EU on the first week 1thing you need to secuee is your PPS number with out this its really hard to land a job quicly! ..in Order to get this..you need to have your proof of address..A letter from your landlord or a friend currently your living with a proof of address like ESB bills...you need to do this whitin yout permission to stay in Ireland....hope this helps..cheers!

Hi everyone

I would like more information on moving to Ireland , I really don't knw what to expect because I'm going to by a return ticket however while I'm going to visit I'm planning on getting a job . So I can bring down my family is this possible ?

Nokuthula Mbhele wrote:

Hi everyone

I would like more information on moving to Ireland , I really don't knw what to expect because I'm going to by a return ticket however while I'm going to visit I'm planning on getting a job . So I can bring down my family is this possible ?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

As a non-EU citizen, to get any job in Ireland, you need an appropriate work visa.  The Irish Government have recently tightened up on their immigration process and have introduced the "Highly Skilled Eligible Occupations List"; if you have the qualifications to meet the requirements of the list and can find a job, then you should have no problem getting the appropriate visas for both you and your family; you can access the list by following this link.  It follows that if you don't have any of the qualifications, then you have virtually no chance at all.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team