Malaysian marry in oversea

Hi, can anyone who knows or experience how malaysian muslim man can get married to non muslim woman in overseas? What are the documents needed from malaysian side? This will be an interfaith marriage and we don't plan to reside in Malaysia. Hope someone with knowledge can answer this, not just based on personal opinions.

The only thing I know is that if a Malaysian Muslim marries a non-Muslim overseas the marriage will not be recognized in Malaysia. This is true even if the woman is also Malaysian, but not Muslim. It's not an issue as long as you plan on residing overseas, preferable in her country as long as you can get a PR there. The cases I know were in the US and Canada and it wasn't a problem. Also the children can't be registered as Malaysian citizens as well. As far as Malaysia goes the marriage is not legal, and this 'could' (have no direct knowledge of problems, just the potential) create issues with hotels during visits back to Malaysia.

In the US no documents are needed other than your passport and you'll need your birth certificate for the PR process. Actually for the PR process you'll also need any divorce documents from previous marriages, and 2nd marriages are not allowed. You must be single or divorced.

Right.....the issue isnt interfaith itself, its where you reside. In US, Canada, Mexico as examples, nobody cares what you are or who you marry. But Malaysia cares and that includes two muslim malaysians who elope and come back to live. 

Now....if you marry and live outside, lets say you are away 50 years and come back to Malaysia, its still a problem and you would have to go to court to get approval to live here as married people and your wife would still have to convert to Islam as well.

For a place like US, you just need ID--passport, drivers licence, something of that nature and you will need to get a marriage licence (and possibly blood test) and I think thats a uniform rule among the states. Canada and other places, I dont know. But if US, for example, you can easily google "marriage requirements for Nevada" and once you meet those rules you can even use the drive-through wedding in Las Vegas and its all over in 5 minutes. Another uniform requirement is age. You didnt mention, is your proposed wife a minor? I think 18 is the basic rule among the states but some states might be different.

Outside Malaysia, getting married is pretty simple. Divorce is another matter. Frankly I wish it was the other way around.

Having said this, and Iskandars reply too, you have your own Islam to deal with. If, for example, you thought you needed documents forming someones permission to marry, that answer is NO as to a place like US but within your own muslim family, whatever rules you may be breaking is something you will know more about than anyone.

I googled for you and got this info, take a look at the site for US. You can do the same for any country you wish.

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/marriage- … ents.shtml

Last thing I can think of at this moment is your plan would not be approved by Pejabat Agama who would only have to be consulted if your plan was to marry abroad and come back. In that case they would require you to go to an approved mosque in the foreign country and take with you the fathers written permission to marry. This isnt an issue with you since you plan to stay out. If you were planning to come back, you need firm papers of your marriage abroad and you will go to court at that time to attempt to get the Malaysian government to approve it. But you can stay up to six months as married people without needing to seek approvals of the marriage.

Statutory Declaration

If you are a Malaysian Muslim planning to marry abroad, this is what I did for marrying in Finland. Hope it helps!

1. Contact the embassy of the country you plan to marry in and inquire what documents they would need to allow you to marry. In my case, it was my birth cert and the single status certificate.

2. For the birth certificate, make a copy and certify true copy at the commissioner of oath (do this together with the statutory declaration, which I will explain next). Since it will be in Malay, please get it translated into English. You may contact Katherine, she is super helpful and fast. I insert her contact details below.

3. To get the single status certificate, please fill in your details in a statutory declaration form such as the one I uploaded and get it sworn in front of the commissioner of oaths. Bring along a letter from your Employer to say that you are single as a supporting document.Statutory Declaration

4. The statutory declaration and the civil status by your employer is not enough for Wisma Putra to accept is as a certificate. BRING THOSE TWO DOCUMENTS TO JAWI IN PUTRAJAYA, level 2. Do not bother going to your qariah or other JAWI or JAIS office because this service is provided only by JAWI in Putrajaya. Both MALE and FEMALE malaysian muslims must get this certificate. Meet the ustaz and ask them to conduct a search of any marriage records in their system. Once cleared, they will issue you THE CERTIFICATE.
Single Status Certificate from JAWI

5. Once you have the certificate from JAWI and the Birth cert, the certified true copy and the Translated version bring all three to the consular section in wisma putra to endorse.

6. Proceed to embassy of the country you are to marry and get them to legalise it before sending to the fiancée for them to further process in their country and finally apply for consequent marriage processes (civil or religious wedding, needs these documents prior)

Hope that helps.

This is the Malaysian translator that I used. Can try if you need it

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : please recommend this person in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I am a Muslim planning to marry with my partner in the Philippines

Is it possible to have the sample of the statuary declaration and the single certificate from JAWI again as i was unale to open it the last time.

Thank you again for the great help. :):)

Moderated by Loïc 4 years ago
Reason : for security reasons, we do not accept personal information on the forum. Share them through the private message system
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct