Close

Permanent residency

I'm wondering whether the work permit issued for 2 years counts towards 5 year permanent residency requirements- of course provided it is renewed ...I'm moving to kl next month.thanks

Yes, if you are a highly qualified professional. Parts 2 and 3 in the next post detail this.

There is a 10 year Talent Corp visa where if your salary is RM15k plus per month after 3 years and if you can show value to the development of the country this visa may be granted.

I sort of get the impression that if a person does not qualify for the Talent Corp visa, they would not qualify for the PR under 2 and 3.

Getting a PR is far easier in Singapore.

There are 5 categories to apply Malaysian Permanent Residence.

1.    Individual Investor with minimum USD 2 million Fixed Deposit (FD) in Malaysia (High Net Worth Individual)

i.    Having a Fixed Deposit with an amount of minimum USD 2 million in at any Bank in Malaysia and will only be allowed for Withdrawal after five (5) years.

ii.    Spouse and Children below the age of 18 years will also be eligible to be granted Permanent Resident after five (5) years of stay in Malaysia.

iii.    Application must be submitted at State Immigration Office

2.    Expert (Highly Talented and High Skilled Individual)

i.    Person with Expertise, Talent and Skills recognized as "World Class" by any International Organisation

ii.    Requires to get Recommendation by Relevant Agency in Malaysia

iii.    Requires to submit Certificate of Good Conduct from Country of Origin

iv.    Approval of Permanent Resident will be given within 24 Hours after submission of completed application.

v.    Application must be submitted at Immigration Department Headquarters in Putrajaya

3. Professional  DP10 visa Malaysia, Malaysia PR

i.    Professional in any fields with outstanding skills.

ii.    Requires to get Recommendation by Relevant Agency in Malaysia

iii.    Requires to submit Certificate of Good Conduct from Country of Origin

iv.    Working in any Government Agency or Private Company in Malaysia for a minimum period of three (3) years and certified by the Relevant Agency in Malaysia.

v.    Approval of Permanent Resident will be given within one (1) month after submission of completed application.

vi.    Application must be submitted at State Immigration Office

4.    Spouse to Malaysian Citizen

i.    Married to Malaysian for minimum period of five (5) years.

ii.    Had been issued with Long Term Visits Pass and stay continuously in Malaysia for a period of five (5) years .

iii.    Requires to have one (1) Malaysian sponsors

iv.    Application must be submitted at State Immigration Office

5. Application for Permanent Resident Through Point Based System

i.    Application is open to all Foreign Nationals except for foreigner under category 1, 2, 3 and 4.

ii.    Applicant with minimum Passing Marks of 65 points from 120 points will be considered to be issued an Entry Permit.

iii.    Criteria and Descriptions for Points System is as Attachment.

iv.    Requires to submit Certificate of Good Conduct from Country of Origin.

v.    Requires to have one (1) Malaysian sponsors.

vi.    Application must be submitted at State Immigration Office

HOW TO APPLY?

1.    Application in Prescribe Form must be submitted to Immigration Department of Malaysia in Putrajaya for Category No. 2 or Any State Immigration Office for Category No.1, No.3, No.4 and No.5 .

2.    Upon Submission of Application, Individual Applicant and their Sponsor is required attend for an interview by the Immigration Department.

3.    Recommendation by Relevant Agency in Malaysia except for Spouse of Malaysian Citizens (Category No.4) and Application through Point Based System (Category No.5) must be submitted upon application.

Expatriate health insurance in Kuala Lumpur

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Kuala Lumpur

Moving to Kuala Lumpur

Find tips from professionals about moving to Kuala Lumpur

Travel insurance in Kuala Lumpur

Enjoy stress-free travel to Kuala Lumpur