Permanent residency

I'm wondering whether the work permit issued for 2 years counts towards 5 year permanent residency requirements- of course provided it is renewed ...I'm moving to kl next month.thanks

Yes, if you are a highly qualified professional. Parts 2 and 3 in the next post detail this.

There is a 10 year Talent Corp visa where if your salary is RM15k plus per month after 3 years and if you can show value to the development of the country this visa may be granted.

I sort of get the impression that if a person does not qualify for the Talent Corp visa, they would not qualify for the PR under 2 and 3.

Getting a PR is far easier in Singapore.

There are 5 categories to apply Malaysian Permanent Residence.

1.    Individual Investor with minimum USD 2 million Fixed Deposit (FD) in Malaysia (High Net Worth Individual)

i.    Having a Fixed Deposit with an amount of minimum USD 2 million in at any Bank in Malaysia and will only be allowed for Withdrawal after five (5) years.

ii.    Spouse and Children below the age of 18 years will also be eligible to be granted Permanent Resident after five (5) years of stay in Malaysia.

iii.    Application must be submitted at State Immigration Office

2.    Expert (Highly Talented and High Skilled Individual)

i.    Person with Expertise, Talent and Skills recognized as "World Class" by any International Organisation

ii.    Requires to get Recommendation by Relevant Agency in Malaysia

iii.    Requires to submit Certificate of Good Conduct from Country of Origin

iv.    Approval of Permanent Resident will be given within 24 Hours after submission of completed application.

v.    Application must be submitted at Immigration Department Headquarters in Putrajaya

3. Professional  DP10 visa Malaysia, Malaysia PR

i.    Professional in any fields with outstanding skills.

iv.    Working in any Government Agency or Private Company in Malaysia for a minimum period of three (3) years and certified by the Relevant Agency in Malaysia.

v.    Approval of Permanent Resident will be given within one (1) month after submission of completed application.

vi.    Application must be submitted at State Immigration Office

4.    Spouse to Malaysian Citizen

i.    Married to Malaysian for minimum period of five (5) years.

ii.    Had been issued with Long Term Visits Pass and stay continuously in Malaysia for a period of five (5) years .

iii.    Requires to have one (1) Malaysian sponsors

iv.    Application must be submitted at State Immigration Office

5. Application for Permanent Resident Through Point Based System

i.    Application is open to all Foreign Nationals except for foreigner under category 1, 2, 3 and 4.

ii.    Applicant with minimum Passing Marks of 65 points from 120 points will be considered to be issued an Entry Permit.

iii.    Criteria and Descriptions for Points System is as Attachment.

iv.    Requires to submit Certificate of Good Conduct from Country of Origin.

v.    Requires to have one (1) Malaysian sponsors.

HOW TO APPLY?

1.    Application in Prescribe Form must be submitted to Immigration Department of Malaysia in Putrajaya for Category No. 2 or Any State Immigration Office for Category No.1, No.3, No.4 and No.5 .

2.    Upon Submission of Application, Individual Applicant and their Sponsor is required attend for an interview by the Immigration Department.

3.    Recommendation by Relevant Agency in Malaysia except for Spouse of Malaysian Citizens (Category No.4) and Application through Point Based System (Category No.5) must be submitted upon application.

Hi Gravitas,
I am currently on Employment Visa Category II in Malaysia. Little background one me. I completed my Masters from Tier 5 University In Malaysia and was on Student Pass for 1.5 Years (June 2011- Dec 2012). 6 months was break when I was on and off travelling for holidays in Malaysia under Social Visit. August 2013, I found a job and got 2 Years EP Category II Under Talent Corp (Aug 2013 - Aug 2015). Aug 2015, due to some changes in regulations, it took longer to renew my application. It was extended to October first on social visa. Then Oct-Dec 2015 I had to be back in home country waiting for renewal. It got Renewed in Jan 2016. Thus I was back. I got EP Category III for 1 year this time. It got renewed for second time in Jan 2017. Now in November 2017, I managed to renew visa EP Category II as salary slab met the Category II requirement. I now have visa till Jan 2019. Am I eligible to apply for PR under No. 3 listed in your posts and chances of getting PR?

I wouldn't think so. The issue would probably be being "outstanding" would probably not mean being on Category II

Thank you!

Hi Gravitas,
I am currently on Employment Visa in Malaysia. I have been in Malaysia for past 11 years. I was a student here for 7 years and past 4 years I am working in IT line. Am I eligible to apply for PR. From point based, I do not have enough points. Is there any other option?

The Talent Corp visa (https://rpt.talentcorp.com.my/) is an option but the salary required is RM15,000 per month.

With this option it looks like any PRs applications under point 3. would be expected to have a position at least equal or more senior, as both mention 3 yrs on an EP.

Gravitas: Getting a PR is far easier in Singapore!
Where did you get this conclusion? Getting a PR in Singapore is one of the toughest thing in today's context. People with 10years of staying, having 6 figures salary are getting rejected.

It might be a little easier if you are Malaysian Chinese. But for a non-Malaysian, it's absolutely the toughest to get a Singapore PR.

:offtopic:

Hi, I have seen there is a new category for PR (3. Professional -Category 3 ) for expats with 3 years of experience. Do you have any knowledge on this category?

All the details published can be found in an earlier post. Bear in mind PRs are not handed out like candy or everyone who had worked in Malaysia for 3 years could get one.  The key words are "outstanding skills" (read Masters, PhD, etc. working in a strategic position). Logically, why have the Talent Corp visa looking the same as the PR unless the Talent Corp was professional entry level at RM15000 i.e. Category I EP. Doesn't a PR also need Bahasa Malayu skills?

3. Professional  DP10 visa Malaysia, Malaysia PR

i.    Professional in any fields with outstanding skills.

iv.    Working in any Government Agency or Private Company in Malaysia for a minimum period of three (3) years and certified by the Relevant Agency in Malaysia.

v.    Approval of Permanent Resident will be given within one (1) month after submission of completed application.

No true Singapore grants PR to people from Asean countries as well as India and China,  too easily so much so that many jobs have been taken by them.

Dear Gravitas,

I'm a Sg citizen, holding EP cat 1 for almost two years now. I'm thinking of applying for Malaysia PR thru Professional DP10 visa Malaysia.

May I know what can I do or how to get a recommendation by Relevant Agency in Malaysia?

Similarly where can get a Certificate of Good Conduct from Country of Origin?

I believe i can only start applying for Malaysia PR when i cross the 3 years mark,  right? Many thanks.

Malaysia so far does not have the same system of giving PR as Singapore. http://www.expatgo.com/my/2013/05/08/20 … -malaysia/

You may want to also take a look at the Talentcorp visa - https://rpt.talentcorp.com.my/ If you put the requirements for this visa in perspective, it explains how a PR would have higher requirements.

The new government has been mulling already ways to attract foreigners, even talking about citizenship so watch this space in the months to come

Sometimes the Police is the way to get the Certificate of Good Conduct.

Thanks Gravitas. Just visited RP-T website, very informative. Appreciate your kind help.

Malaysia govt also started PR system recently...  here is the link qadkam.com/pr.htm

Hallo All, I've been working in Malaysia since 2010 and for the last 2 years I hold the residence pass talent. Do you think I'm eligible to apply for PR under no 2 or 3? and as RPT holder do I still need the Recommendation by Relevant Agency ?
Is having the RPT will make it easier for the PR application to be approved?

I think the RPT is sort of in lieu of a PR

Well RPT still have 10 years of valid period while PR is indefinately

RPT is renewable just like other long term visas such as MM2H. So they can go on indefinitely. For example with the MM2H, after 20 years (i.e. 2 x 10 yrs) can apply for PR

The new government is talking about offering citizenship in new categories

Hi There,

I've lived in Malaysia for the past twenty years and have had PR for the last five ++ years already

My mother has been living here for the past sixteen years on the MM2H programme.

Can I apply for her to be a dependent under my PR or my wife's NRIC?

I look forward to your reply as I can't find any information on the www.immi.gov.my website.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

I know that she could apply for her own PR after 20 years on MM2H.

Thought it might be easier for her to just be on my pass, my father passed away two years ago

Looks like yes as the mother in law under (v) http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main … tml?id=284

Thanks so much, let me see how that works, appreciate your help

I went to Immigration the other day to ask questions whether as RPT holder I will be eligible to apply for PR and will have some advantage of getting approval, the officer responded that the process still the same as other applicant and I still need to obtain Recommendation leter by Relevant Agency which is in my case MINISTRY OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION.
However from what I heard from some of my friends the recommendation leter by relevant agency is the one that is quite tough, I have friends that being rejected because they simply said that the IT fields already have too manyIT experts already.

That's why the RPT visa is good to have as PRs are very tough to get approved.

However, there has been some talk by the new government to offer PR to some high level professionals (probably still have to give up their current nationality). A couple of weeks ago the government did offer PR to a group of people aged over 60 yrs who were spouses of Malaysians. So some developments.

I'm just wondering, as the RPT minimum salary requirements have been increased,  when we renew, do we require to meet the new salary requirements?

I don't personally see evidence that is how Malaysian immigration works. They don't "move the goalposts" after a person legally qualified for a type of pass. It's just new applicants have to meet the new requirements.

I think immigration would be overwhelmed with legal challenges if they did. It's the "grandfathering" principle (to exempt (someone or something) from a new law or regulation).

Requires to get Recommendation by Relevant Agency in Malaysia
What are "relevant agency" and what kind of 'recommendation"? Confused.   :/
Who has the clue?

It's been explained before on the above posts, please check

Does one lose his/her permanent residency by being absent from Malaysia for a certain period of time?

post wrote:

Does one lose his/her permanent residency by being absent from Malaysia for a certain period of time?

As you have asked this question on the Lao forum too I wonder if you are shopping around for a country that suits you.

I stay in Malaysia around 10 year and have Dp10 category 1 visa. I have 8 year experience in hotel industry in Malaysia local company.  Any one help fr PR Malaysia or recommendation letter for ministry of tourism.

Hi there
My wife is Malaysian and we have been married for the last 20 years
But have been living in UK
If I would like to apply for PR in Malaysia do I need to actually live there and if yes can that period of time be split over number of years or need to stay in Malaysia without leaving
Thanks

Hows this works? is this something called MM2H  program or different one?

I have mailed them,,,but still have some doubts?

How are the chances to get approval ?

PR and. Mm2h are completely different although technically after 20 yrs on mm2h it is possible to apply for a PR.

Need to be living in Malaysia and have been on LTSVP as spouse for minimum 5 yrs to apply for PR

These days if trying to apply as a Professional worker the Talentcorp Visa after 3 yrs is the shortest step to something more permanent than an employment pass.

stumpy wrote:
post wrote:

As you have asked this question on the Lao forum too I wonder if you are shopping around for a country that suits you.

Nothing is wrong in searching for a country where to have a permanent residency. Some people prefer to have several permanent residencies in order to live in different countries without getting tourist visas and extensions. It is especially important to have permanent residencies in the countries where a person owns properties.

HI Gravitas,
I have being in malaysia since 2013 did my masters degree in software engineering and worked for 2 malaysian companies from 2015 till date as a software engineer and my employment pass is a category 1 EP visa.
- how am i eligible for a PR
- how and where can I apply for a PR or start the process for my PR application?
- how long does it take?