Accomodation in Mapou

Hi everyone, i will be coming to mauritius at the end of march 2011 and would stay there for two years. Am looking for a 1 bedrommed apartment, fully furnished with extras that suit an unmaried gentleman like swimming pool etc, let me know what the cost is per month for a long term rental.

Arju

I would suggest you look in and around Grand Bay, Pereybere or Trou aux Biche.  There are a number of nice apartments around those areas, but it will come down to your budget.  There isn't much going on in Mapou for a single man, as far as nightlife and that sort of thing is concerned.

Top of the range apartments on the water and/or with pools would be around 60-80k rupees per month in the areas I mentioned.  You can find decent apartments not on the water, but with pools for around 20-30k rupees per month, but won't be as nice obviously.

You can also find nice houses with a private pool for about 30-40k rupees per month, but then you will have to take care of the upkeep yourself or pay someone else to maintain the pool and garden which will run you a few thousand rupees per month.

wow!,Thanx!,  so expensive. was expecting rentals of between 10000 and 15000 . Will be on a tight budget. So probably i will settle for apartments without swimming pools and use the beach. I heard it will be very close by. Hey, i cant wait to come there.

You said ...."There isn't much going on in Mapou for a single man, as far as nightlife and that sort of thing is concerned"!, but is it a nyce place, i mean city like, it will be my first time getting to mauritius, just got an offer there around Labourdonnais,Mapou(mind my spellings), someone told me that its a village and i got lost coz i dont understand this village thing. is it a small town? close to amenities,shops,transport etc

will apreciate your response

The Labourdoannais, Mapou area is a nice environment to work, but there is not much going on around it.  My offices are there as a matter of fact and I like the environment very much.

Socially though, there isn't anything here to do outside of work hours.  The areas I mentioned before are going to be your best bet especially if you are single and looking to have more options of things to do outside of work.

You can find decent apartments for 10,000 - 15,000, but they are going to be relatively small and / or not in great condition potentially.  Your best bet is to come to Mauritius and have some temporary accommodation lined up prior to starting your job and spend a week or so looking for a more permanent place.

Will you have a car, motorcycle or scooter to get around or will you be reliant on public transportation?  The public transportation isn't great to Labourdonnais, but it is just off the main motorway from Grand Bay to Port Louis and there are bus stops that are about a 5-10 minute walk.  There is a bus stop at Labourdonnais, but it is not a very common bus route so may be difficult to link up.

Ok i see, i will use the time that i will be offered accomodation by my employer to have a look at the places around, maybe that way i will be able to make a good decision. will be staying at my employer's accomodation during the first month.

I will miss the cape town table mountain, I heard there are nice beaches there, hopefully they are closer by and with few sharks!!!!!!!(sharks dont like me).

There are definitely some nice beaches and you will not have to worry about sharks.

Good luck on your move.  I'm sure you'll find some nice accommodation.

arju007 wrote:

I heard there are nice beaches there, hopefully they are closer by and with few sharks!!!!!!!(sharks dont like me).

It's when they DO like you... that's when one should worry

(moderated: please post in classifieds. Thanks)

oomesh wrote:

(moderated)

Oomesh better you send this in a PM. The admins will moderate this otherwise!

thanks alisa its already moderated