AirBNB in Mauritius

Does anyone know the regulations regarding AirBNB in Mauritius? Does one have to register at the government and get a "Tourist Accommodation Certificate"? Are AirBNB hosts liable to any tourist taxes?

Also interested if anyone has any info on this.

Have to be registered with and approved by Mauritius Tourism Authority.
Don't forget insurance for guests, safety and security

https://tourism-mauritius.mu/trade/en-u … -mauritius

Thanks External - as I thought.

Dear all, many thanks for all the replies. Especially the link to the Mauritius Tourism Authority was helpful. It is quite clear: Airbnb players have to register with the Mauritius Tourism Authority and get the appropriate certificate. That they are liable to taxes is anyway clear. But as I can read from the following article I saw on Facebook today, the reality looks a bit different:

mauritiusguides.com/blog/airbnb-mauritius-status-problems-legal-situation

Thanks - just read that article. So it seems they get away with not registering and not paying taxes on their earned revenue.
Not a good situation really. :nothappy:

daisymay2 wrote:

Thanks - just read that article. So it seems they get away with not registering and not paying taxes on their earned revenue.
Not a good situation really. :nothappy:

Wait when some serious situations do surface:

Like someone thrashing a place during those WE parties
or
using the place for illegitimate businesses ( just use your imaginations  :o ) and see what the consequences will/would  be.
Am pretty sure AirBnB will wash their hands unless the authorities go after them like in some US cities or Paris !

It will only take one bad outcome

Haha I await that day!  :)
Good point!

Hi there

I haven't followed the Facebook link re Airbnb and MRU regularities, but we have just rented an Airbnb for 7 nights and it has not been a pleasant experience: dirty, threadbare towels and linen, poor facilities which didn't work, etc.  My understanding was that someone from Airbnb always checked the accommodation prior to it being listed initially and If that is the case, I find it hard to believe that this place passed muster.  Based on my experience, it's highly unlikely I shall use Airbnb again anywhere.

VivvZ wrote:

Hi there

I haven't followed the Facebook link re Airbnb and MRU regularities, but we have just rented an Airbnb for 7 nights and it has not been a pleasant experience: dirty, threadbare towels and linen, poor facilities which didn't work, etc.  My understanding was that someone from Airbnb always checked the accommodation prior to it being listed initially and If that is the case, I find it hard to believe that this place passed muster.  Based on my experience, it's highly unlikely I shall use Airbnb again anywhere.

That's NOT the case since they have SO many members

Hello, I have looked for it but still can't find the documents about how to apply for a permit to rent a place "Tourist accommodation certificate". Is there any document that can be dowloaded? Or do I have to go to the offices of the Tourism Authority" in Port-Louis?