Medical Volunteering

Hello everyone,
I will be in Nairobi in April 2017 and I'm interested in doing medical volunteering.
I am a paramedic and am interested in volunteering either in a hospital, clinic or on an ambulance. Does anyone have any guidance for me or leads I could look into? Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts for you.   In Nairobi, Kenyatta National Hospital is the main public facility.  Nairobi Hospital and Aga Khan are private and have accident & emergency (ER).  Ambulances are few.  Nairobi Hospital has one or two, some of the medical insurance companies such as AAR have them.  The rest are operated by the county governments.

The other thing to note is that volunteer work is prohibited without a work permit.  There is a temporary pass, known as a 'Special Pass' which would allow you to work for (I believe) 3 months, renewable for a further 3 months.   You must have a detailed and signed cover letter from the organisation you wish to volunteer for.  You also need certified copies of your professional certificates.  For some professions you need to register locally.   So, its isn't simply a case of turning up and helping out.   In my experience, applications for permits/passes can take a few weeks, so you might already be cutting it fine to arrange it all for April.

One other aspect;  the public health doctors have been on strike for almost 2 months now and there doesn't seem to be much sign of it ending!

Thanks for the information.
Yes, I have been reading about the strike - that was one of the reasons I thought it might be easier to help. I am sympathetic to the physician's problems and the problems of healthcare in general in many places in Africa.
I'll continue to seek contacts online but, yes, it sounds like it may take longer then I imagined.
I have checked some companies that arrange visits in which volunteering is an integral part but I don't really fit that mold as I will already be local and looking for something to do and dont need any help with living arrangements or getting there.
Thanks

Those companies that arrange volunteering trips are often expensive, but have the advantage of helping to arrange the paperwork that you need.   Its quite awkward to try and do this yourself, as you must first find an organisation to take you on, obtain the necessary letters/documents from them and so on.  It would probably be better to apply for the pass, then arrange your travel around that, rather than the other way round.

Another idea;  try Kijabe Hospital, which is a mission hospital, approximately an hour outside Nairobi.

In the meantime, I have pasted the requirements for the Special Pass, below (from the Directorate of Immigration website).

"SPECIAL PASS:

This is a document issued to person(s) given specific employment by specific employer for a short duration not exceeding three (3) monthsose of receiving education or training at an educational or training establishment within the country by which he/she has been accepted as a student/pupil.

SPECIAL PASS REQUIREMENTS.

•Application form dully filled and signed
•Copy of the national passport
•Two passport size photos
•Forwarding letter from institution/applicant
•Clearance from regulatory bodies (medical and dentist board, pharmacy and poisons board, engineering board, NGO council, Ministry of Information. ion is relatively new a copy of registration must be submitted together with the application .

FEE FOR SPECIAL PASS:

Ksh.15,000/= Per month or part there of"

Hi, there are other small clinics that are still functioning. Try perhaps Makadara Health facility which is a children's clinic and maternal health center.

Thank you very much, I will look into Kijabe Hospital.

Chris

Thank you, I will look into it.

Chris