What do you do about health insurance?

For those of you who are expats from the US, I'm curious to know what you've done about health insurance.  Did you take out an international/expat policy?  Any experiences, recommendations, non-recommendations, pros/cons etc. are very welcome.  We do not yet qualify for Medicare and are exploring our insurance options.  We are very healthy, fit, and rarely ill.

Thanks so much!

Hello CaribeGal!
Did anyone respond to your question about health insurance?  We are planning on "snow-birding" in the near future.  But need to know how this works.  Having a hard time getting good info on the subject.
shushi

I did not take out health insurance.  I am navigating my way through the Belize medical system.  I have a heart condition, and have managed to find my heart pills here.  A local pharmacist always keeps a one-month supply on hand for me.

I have been struggling with fungal infections in my ears, one my scalp and other areas of my body. It gets better for a while and then returns. I've been a bit frustrated by the treatment I've received.

If you need an MRI, you must go to Guatelmala or Merida, Mexico.  If you have any major health issue, or are getting on up there in years, then I'd recommend investing in a good health insurance, which should include your travel costs.

Sharon Hiebing

Hi shushi, yours is the first reply I received (this is not a very active forum, unfortunately!)  We are very close to moving down to Belize, and I am probably going to go with BUPA (http://www.bupalatinamerica.com/submenu … .php?id=41), but just for catastrophic medical issues, and pay-as-I-go for the rest of it.  I am a bit nervous as I've always had full coverage for everything though my work.  But I'm not nervous enough to work for another 15 years (until I'm eligible for Medicare) just to keep health insurance. 

Good luck in figuring out what will work for you.  There's another woman who posts here (chunkyruth) whom you might want to send a PM.  She and her husband are snowbirds too, spending part of the year in Belize, part in the US. 

Emily

Hi!  so I looked up Bupa.  Their coverage looks good......except, if you look at the approved providers, there are none in Belize.  So I don't think that would work if you needed to be hospitalized there.  Guess you'd have to fly to Houston.  But what if you "couldn't be moved"????  We are in good health (ages 52 & 51), but still, things do happen!!!

Hi,

you should contact our partner (Bupa) they'll be very happy to help: https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/cent … ca/belize/

All the best,

Julien

Yes, shushi, this is confusing to me too.  I read this article that led me to believe that Bupa would honor medical care in Belize if this person's care had been more $ than her deductible (it wasn't).  She received her care in a private hospital in Belize City: (Medical Experience with Broken Leg in Belize).

However, I also saw what you saw on Bupa's site that they do not not have any facility in Belize.  So, there is a disconnect there that I need to investigate.  Maybe it's the difference between "out of network" and "in network" and it can still be used "out of network", but they just wouldn't cover as much, similar to most US health plans. 

If/when I find out more, I will post back here.

Emily

Okay, this just in from a knowledgable ex-pat:

"You do not need to seek a facility that is on the Bupa network. They publish the network because it's easier for you to go there, knowing the provider is already in the Bupa system.
If you get care in Belize you will pay out of pocket and then file for reimbursement from Bupa. Bupa will pay you efficiently and according to the policy. Be aware that the cost of care in Belize is so low that it's hard to exceed your deductible!"

Good news, eh? :D