How taxes work with a Canadian pension in Belize?

I'm just looking for info on how taxes work with a Canadian pension.
And Wondering where the best place is to just find other Canucks.

bettymc, you are in the wrong thread, BUT there are tons of Canadians on Ambergris Caye.  There's even a popular bar called "Crazy Canucks". I have never met so many Canadians living in the US as I've met since coming to Belize.  You will not have to look far, at least if you come to Ambergris Caye.

Hi bettymc and welcome to Expat.com!

A new thread has been created on Belize forum for better interactivity.;)

Harmonie.

theres lots of us in and around san ignacio as well. best place to find canadians is in a bar. in san ignacio theres lucky 5, greedys pizza. bamboo. just ask any bartender. in bullet tree theres remos which is first black house on right as you enter town. theres phil at hot taco on the way to bullet tree, he knows everyone.

My understanding is that you won't pay Belizean taxes but depending on what services or connections you still have to Canada you will pay Canadian taxes on any income or pensions. CPP and OAS are payable outside of Canada as long as you have spent your working years in Canada and made annual contributions to CPP.  Or CPP will pay out whatever the amount calculated based on your contributions.  OAS is paid outside of Canada as long as you lived in Canada for at  least 20 years after you turned 18.

If you are a "snowbird" and staying in Canada 6 months out of the year you still have to pay Canadian taxes, but you can stay out of Canada permanently - you retain your citizenship and pay no taxes in Canada on your pensions or CPP/OAS.  When or if you move back to Canada you may be subject to a waiting period to qualify for provincial benefits like healthcare etc.