Sending a gift?

I want to send a friend in Belize a gift ... $50 US max ... should I expect to pay duty? If so how much and how would I do that? I don't want the recipient to have to pay. Also ... any advice on mailing from CANADA?

Canadian Post office should be able to help with answers regarding paying customs before sending. Expect your parcel to take a minimum of 30 days to arrive in Belize. We don't send mail because of the time frame required. At one time, I sent a document to my husband in Belize that needed to be signed. He received it a month later, signed it at the Post Office and mailed it immediately. It arrived another month later and he beat it home! LOL. We recently tried sending a card from Belize to Canada by Express post (it was supposed to arrive in Canada within a week). It arrived in Mississauga Ontario within 3 days and sat in Canada Customs for a month before they got around to sending it on. (I tracked it the whole way and once it gets into Custom's hands there is no way of getting it until they decide to send it on.
Another thing you might try is to send your package by air cargo. More expensive, but it will get there faster.

bmcraig wrote:

We recently tried sending a card from Belize to Canada by Express post (it was supposed to arrive in Canada within a week). It arrived in Mississauga Ontario within 3 days and sat in Canada Customs for a month before they got around to sending it on. (I tracked it the whole way and once it gets into Custom's hands there is no way of getting it until they decide to send it on.
Another thing you might try is to send your package by air cargo. More expensive, but it will get there faster.

Last year we had to send a time sensitive document from Placencia Belize to a bank in Texas. Found that Fedex has an agent in Belize City, and that we could go to any Tropic Air ticket counter to send it out. They had the Fedex document pouches and boxes. Filled out the label just like in the states, paid the fee (about $30 US).  It arrived at the bank 4 days later. We were able to track it via Fedex tracking once it got as far as MIA.

When it works FedEx is the most reliable fasest way to mail/ship
But sometimes it doesn't work well
Depends on that always unknown.a person.