Close

New members of the Colombia forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Hola,
Which city do you live in? I am just preparing to stay half the year in Medellin. It's good to hear that you are still enchanted with the culture here. Marta

Hi Marta. I'm in Bogota.  I prefer a nice medium climate, and Bogota is like a typical British Spring day, all year round. I know many folk say its a bit cold for them, but I don't like too much heat.  When I go down the mountains to the hot zones, I'm usually glad to get back to Bogota after 4 or 5 days.

I don't think I'll get disenchanted with the place, for I knew what I was coming to.  I used to be married to a Colombiana, (and we lived in England), but that finished a long time ago. We would visit Colombia every year for a month or two, to see her folks, and so I got to know the place very well, each time, taking a holiday to different places over here.  She eventually said she would like to move back to Bogota to be closer to her family,  ..... but we have 2 children, so how would that work?  I jumped at the opportunity, and sold up, and moved aswell, not only to be close to my children, but also because I loved the country, the culture, and the people.

So here I am.  And I love it. Don't ever want to go back to the UK.

Everyone in Colombia, it seems, wants to move to the US or the UK, but they don't know how the moral fabric of society has almost totally disintegrated, and now I regard Colombia as more civilized than my own country, and yours too.

It will be interesting to see how you find the comparison, living 6 months in each.  I guess family ties count for a lot, so it may be more difficult for you. But still interesting to see how you find it.

Thanks for the reply, and of course, the opportunity of getting to know you.

Owen.

Thanks for getting back to me. I feel exactly the same way about our respective cultures, though maybe slightly more responsible, as I feel much of the corruption $$$ has migrated across the pond. I've travel outside the US on average 4 months a year for two decades. Leaving has never been a problem for me, and rarely have I wanted to return. In all my travels, I have never felt as "at home" as I do here... except maybe in Nicaragua 25 years ago! If you ever get to Medellin, give us a shout! I am meeting with lawyers today to come to an agreement on an apartment here. I am very excited about this next phase. Ciao. Martha

Welcome Kim. I will be closing on an apartment here soon. If you come before August 10th drop a line and we could meet for coffee. I should have some experience with buying property by then. Martha

Greetings,

I am a 33 year old guy currently living in Dallas, Texas. Long story short I got so burned out and quit my $100,000 a year job. I made so much money but was never happy. My wife and I divorced and I need a huge change quick. I'm collecting VA disability which is 1,500 for the moment. I will do my best to find a new life with that limited income. My father, and sister plan to join me within a few years. I'm one month out and have just started to plan. I will be reading the forum from top to bottom. If you have some advice please share. Thanks

Hello expats
I have been in Colombia for 7 months now and still have a job My work takes me to some out of the way places that posters on these forums rarely mention
My first stop was Bogota for the work visa and sedula Piece of cake after 1 million pesos and 8 hrs in lines
Then I was off to Yopal----Baranquilla----Riohacha-----Guaymaral-----Yopal-----Quibdo-----Bucaramanga-----Quibdo-----Neiva-----Bucaramanga-----Cali----Medejjin----Bahia Solano----Neiva
I flew to all these places in Light Unpressurized Company Aircraft, wow what a adventure!
What a beautiful country especially the Nevada de Santa Marta witch is a mountain that is 40 km from the Caribbean Coast it is amazing we couldn't go over it we had to go around it.
The only evil necessary that goes with this job is commercial travel with airlines and wait your turn to go
I have been on 30 commercial flights in 7 mo  This is a brief story of the good the bad and the ugly
Colombia has been a very interesting place and fun
Neiva is winding down from two weeks of SAN PEDRO

Hello All!  I recently moved to Cali from Chicago with my husband for his job.  I have been here a couple of times, but this time it is now home.  I am hoping to connect with other expats who like to try new restaurants (we're foodies) and outdoor activities.  Additionally, since I am a "stay-at-home mom" I would love to meet other expat moms in Cali, my son is 1.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Amanda

Hola!   I was born in Cali to a Gringa mother and Colombian father.  Have lived in the US since my late teens.  Now 40++ years later, my husband and I and our dog  are considering retiring to Medellin (yes, we love Cali, but the climate in Medellin is so appealing!)

Where can we get information on rentals?  We would need something furnished intially for a short-term, followed by a long term rental once we get our bearings.  Apartments are ok for short term, but for the long term they are probably out as those middle of the night elevator rides for doggie emergencies are not my cup of tea.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Alex and my wife Hanh and I are considering the move abroad from the U.S.  We love living on the beach and have done a lot of research on several areas of Latin America.  Santa Marta is on our shortlist due to its locale and the cost of living.  I will probably still work online or even do something in town when I am there (bar, restaurant, etc.)

We are going to come down in the next month or so and would like to meet any Santa Marta Expats that are on this forum. 

Some of the specific things we would like to discuss are the best areas to live in and how to buy beachfront property with an existing home or to build a home on.

I speak enough Spanish to get by as I have worked all over Latin America over the years but my wife doesn't speak it at all.  She understands that immersion is the best way to learn a new language.

We look forward to the forum and making new friends.

Alex and Hanh

Hello Colleen, I'm from Canada also. Lived mostly in Hamilton back in the day but moved to Kamloops BC for about 10 years and loved it. I lived in Colombia for 4-5 years and have been back in Canada for about a year now and love to go back. I first lived in Bogota for a couple of months but found it quite cold, lol. Then El Rodadero for 4 months and loved it. I love the beach and the surrounding trees, the people, fresh fruits and vegetables etc. In all, I was in Colombia just over 6 months and had to return to Canada, but while I was paying for my overstay fine at the airport, the paper work took too long and I missed my flight. It was non-refundable so I was stuck in Colombia for the next 4 years. A friend of mine knew of my situation and invited me to stay with him in Cali where I lived for about two years. What can I say, I loved it there also but my Colombian girlfriend who I met in Rodadero was going to university in Cartagena, so I ended up moving there for about a year. The beaches are quite big and rough, so I didn't frequent there very often. I missed the Santa Marta area where you find El Rodadero to the west and Taganga to the east within minutes of each other, so I decided to move to Taganga for about 6 months since it was the cheapest to live. It's a small fishing village...very quiet, except for weekends the small beach can get quite busy. You will find that El Rodadero and the Santa Marta much cheaper than Cartagena. Anyways, food for thought...so many places to choose from. For me, I choose the Santa Marta area. As for any dangerous situations, I had not experienced any while I was in Colombia.

Hello all!

My name is Sami, a customer-centric professional with 8+ experience in project management, product management and customer success in both start up and large firm environments.

After spending 1 year traveling and working abroad, Latin American culture blew me away. Two months in Bogota in Medellin was all I needed to know that I wanted to make my way back to Colombia. I'm currently in San Francisco, seeking an opportunity which would allow me to relocate to Bogota. I can start as soon as Nov 1st, 2017.

Please contact for any tips in working and living in Colombia, or if you have any relevant job opportunities.

Best,
Sami

Hi Colleen,
I'm Brian, a citizen of Canada. The absolute best city all round in all of Colombia is Medellin..
I went there 5x in 2 years from 2010-2012 and absolutely loved it. I made lots of local friends there too. the City of Medellin (approx. population 3.8 million people) has everything, including a perfect climate, which is around  70F to 82F every day all year long. Medellin is considered to be the crown jewel of Colombia and the centre of the beauty and fashion industry in Colombia. Take it from me, a fellow Canadian, Medellin is the hands-down best city in all of Colombia by far..... Medellin Rocks !!!
Brian

Expatriate health insurance in Colombia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Colombia

Moving to Colombia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Colombia

Travel insurance in Colombia

Enjoy stress-free travel to Colombia

Flights to Colombia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Colombia

2 million members!

Watch later