Moving to Cali

Hello everyone. I am seeking advise in general and some specifics as well. I welcome any advise from you. I am retiring and moving to Cali. I will be getting married so am not looking for work or a place to stay. The translator is a real experience at times. I am not 100% sure what documents I will need to get married and apply for resident visa. She has told me I need...(1) passport-they will photocopy in Cali (2) birth certificate (3) divorce decree (4) If documents are in english, they will be translated to spanish in Cali (5) documents must be apostilled

Number 5 is the one that is giving me trouble. I would for now like to be 100% sure to have everything I need before leaving. Also my understanding is cheapest way to bring my things is to put in luggage basically just my clothes ( buy most things I need when there),and check baggage with airline.

Is there a check list I could refer to that will get me to Cali with the least trouble...banking,communication back home,taxes,etc.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Hi spiritofdc,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you get replies to your queries very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hola everybody! I made it, got through the notaria process (what a nightmare, and expensive), and got married on 10/08/11. Just one unnneccessary expense, they charged me $100 for an interpertor at the wedding. I told them I had been married before, I know the drill...no, you must have an interpertor. A neighbor here in Cali is bilengual and ofered to translate...no,it must be an official interpertor.
We had to make multiple trips, stand in multiple lines, get multiple copies made (they do not apparently own a copy machine at this business),get multiple documents stamped in different lines, then get in line with the official stamper, who with a flourish, stamped one document 5 different times, then stood in line for an official to sign his name to all the stamped documents,and don't forget to stand in line to pay for all this stamping and documents, and another line at the copying store we found to copy everything...wow. Have never seen anything like this.
Have now almost completed the marathon of getting my passport renewed. We have taken 4 trips to DAS to get it renewed,each time we speak to different official, each time we are told we need something else, this last trip we had to leave DAS 4 times to get something else they wanted. Here's a good one...they had previously needed to see my passport to verify entry into Colombia, on another trip, they told me I needed two copies of that page in the passport,on this last trip they said they needed a copy of my flight tickets to verify when arrived in Cali...are you kidding me! Passport wasn't enough to prove I came to Cali? My complaint is, why didn't they tell me everything I needed on my first trip? And on my fourth trip,they made us leave 4 more times to get something...why didn't they tell us when we first arrived that they wanted all these things instead of telling us one thing at a time? They even handed us little slips of paper telling us what they wanted...each time we came back with the last request they had. My wife is Colombian so is not a language problem. Is just complete incompetance!

I've similar issues with getting my Visa to remain in country. But am leaving in a couple of weeks for Bogota to apply for and wish to obtain passport or Visa for my wife to travel to United States to visit my family. Can anyone point me in right direction to obtain? I really,really hope to avoid same experience with Notaria and DAS. David (through Andy) gave me excellant advise on obtaining Visa for me and I thank you both!

hello  spiritofdc

This is information about how to get the visa, however if you have more information (moderated: no free ads please)

TEMPORARY VISA OF SPOUSE OR PERMANENT PARTNER OF A COLOMBIAN NATIONAL

This visa may be granted to a foreigner who has contracted valid matrimony with a Colombian national or who fulfills the requirements for a permanent partner, in accordance with present Colombian legislation.

Requirements

√ Payment for visa study: USD 50

√ Valid passport or travel document, in good condition and with a minimum of two blank pages.

√ Two (2) recent 3x3 photographs, facing the camera, in color and against a white background.

√ Colombian civil registration of marriage or an authentic photocopy of the judicial decision, certificate of conciliation or public deed declaring the existence of the de facto marital union, as the case may be. Any of these documents must be issued within the three (3) months prior to the application for the visa.

√ Photocopy of the citizenship card of the Colombian spouse or permanent partner.

√ Letter from the Colombian national requesting the issuance of a visa for his/her foreign spouse or permanent partner. This letter must be authenticated through personal appearance before a Colombian notary or consul.

√ “Commitment to report to the Administrative Security Department, DAS” form.

√ If the foreigner is to practice a regulated profession, he/she must present documents permitting him/her to practice such profession, such as a certification of equivalence or validation of the professional qualification, permit or provisional license to practice, or the registration or professional card of the Professional Council in Colombia.

√ If it is considered necessary, the power to require a personal presentation and/or interview with the Colombian national may be exercised.

√ When the application for a visa is for a permanent partner of a Colombian national is presented to a Colombian consulate, the valid document evidencing the de facto marital union according to the laws of the receiver country will be accepted. In any event, to apply for a new visa in Colombia, the foreigner must present the respective judicial decision, minute of conciliation or public deed declaring the existence of the de facto marital union, according to Colombian regulations.

Note: A beneficiary's visa may be granted to parents and children who are economically dependent on the foreign holder of a temporary visa, spouse or permanent partner of a Colombian national prior proof of the relationship or kinship. In these cases, the occupation of the beneficiary must be that of looking after the home or a student. No other occupation may be authorized.

Requirements:

√ Payment for visa study: USD 50

√ Valid passport or travel document, in good condition and with a minimum of two blank pages.

√ Two (2) recent 3x3 photographs, facing the camera, in color and against a white background.

√ Civil registration or equivalent document certifying the relationship or kinship, duly legalized or with an apostille, as the case may be.

√ Documents proving the economic dependence of the beneficiary on the visa holder.

√ A letter in which the holder of the visa assumes responsibility for the presence of the beneficiary in, and his/her departure from this country. In the case of minors, the request, proxy of authorization must be signed by their parents and authenticated before a Colombian notary or consul.

√ Photocopy of the holder's valid visa

Cost of visa: USD 160

Place issued: Avenida 19 No. 98-03, 3rd and 4th Floors, Bogota D.C.

I can help You a little. I married a cali gal. One thing You will have to do is go to Your states Colombian embassy (Yes that countries embassy) and get a marriage/visa stamp on Your passport. I had a marriage agency do ALL the paperwork for Me so that would be best as they know the laws. She even planned the family wedding in a large home so all I had to do is sign the papers the notary gave me as He red in english what it said to Me. I want to also move there and set up a photo studio allthough it seems hard to find models in the Cali area. I find it highway robbery what the local photographers want for a 1 hour professional studio shoot I was going to have My daughter do and they wanted over $500. I would charge here about $200.

Pete

Hello and thank you for the information corelocation. But I guess I didn't make myself clear. At time of my post,I was just sharing my frustrations. I already had information to get my Visa and have since been to Bogota and recieved it.
My question was how to obtain Visa for my Colombian wife.I have already obtained the passport.I have been on three different sites that joyfully contradict each other.David has provided me with excellant information, once again! But I had a question for David that he wasn't sure about and perhaps you or someone can answer for me.
My wife was required to be present when I applied for my Visa. She was questioned with me and without me present. My question is,will I be required to be present for questioning when she goes to Bogota to get her Visa? The only thing on the web sites I saw was that I was allowed to accompany her. Nothing was said I was required.
I may need to be in USA at time of her interview is why I ask.
Thanks everybody and Happy Easter!
Don

I don't think so you need to be there,..but be sure you send you taxes and all the info they require,.because when I went to my interview in the Embassy I went by my self (my husband was in USA)

Just Mr spiritofdc

I recommended to you Please respond to me and share your experience living in Colombia,..because we are going to have the same experience,  my husband is looking for some advice from a Native American living there...any difficult with the language? did you enjoy the people and weather? the neighbordhood?

Thank You