New Kid on the Blog

G'Day Everyone,

My name is Eric, I am a 63yo single male, living in Australia on an Australian Government Disability Support Pension.
As I seem to have become outcast from my family and friends since I lost the ability to work,
I am researching moving to Chiang Mai to live permanently when I turn 65 and am eligible for the age pension, in 22 months time.

My poor old brain is presently filled with a combination of anticipation, excitement, fear and all those other “panicky” feelings.

I understand that it would be cheaper to replace stuff rather than ship it to Thailand, so that's my first hurdle.
As I don't have assets other than my Landcruiser and caravan and associated bits and pieces, I would need to sell everything before I made my finale move, and that's one of the scary bits, how am I going to get rid of everything? If I was able to find some one who would buy everything “lock stock and barrel” that would be great, the reality is that I can see myself spending many painful months trying to get rid of all my worldly possessions. In the end I can also see me throwing out a lot of stuff, and that would be heart breaking as I am a bit of a “bower bird”

Of course there is the reverse of this, if I find I don't like Thailand for some reason then I've burnt my bridges because I won't have the finances to resettle back in Australia. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

From my research I understand a retirement visa, driver's license, mobile phone/internet and property lease can be a bit of a paper chase. Would it not be advisable to hire a lawyer to do this for me?

Could someone also offer advice on banking please?

That's the start of my queries, if someone could give me some helpful answers and advice please that would be great.

Eric

Welcome on Expat.com mack6701 :)

I hope that other members will reply to your specific queries soon.

Best Regards

Eric it sounds like you might want to consider living in Thailand for several months before you make a firm commitment to move. Since your currently not working this would be the time for that visit before your planning goes to far.  You will then have a good idea what it might be like living in Thailand full time. Most of all you will find out first hand what your monthly expenses will be for your type lifestyle.

If you decided to make the move then start selling off everything you don't need so when you reach your departure date your ready to go.  If you have not sold everything then delay departure until you do.

When it comes to all the paper work involved with visa, property lease, mobile phone and any other thing you might think of a lawyer is not necessary.

For retirement visa check this site for details.
www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/visa.html

When it comes to mobile phone you can pick up phone locally almost anywhere or bring you OZ phone and if its locked it can be unlocked in Thailand for a couple hundred baht.  A pre-paid SIM can be picked up at any 7-11 for next to nothing.

Internet service will depend on where you live.  Most apartment buildings have broadband for a fee but whatever you choose it will be 700 baht or less per month.

Property lease could be in Thai and may be a problem.  I have always been lucky enough that lease was in English for apartments I have rented.

Hope all your questions have been answered.

cheers,
straydog

G'Day Straydog,

Love the nick name, thanks very much for your comments.

It's been a couple of weeks since I wrote that, and since then I have come to realise there is an alternative to "burning all my bridges" in one hit.
I had always planned on doing a "reconnaissance" trip, only now I plan to do two or three, and only then will I make the final decission to either stay and fight or burn everything.

A question if I may? You say Oz phone will work in Thailand, so their sevice is 3G?

Yes great reply, again thanks,

Regards,

Eric.

Although 3G testing is currently in progress who knows when it will be rolled out country wide.

The only country wide service you can count on is 2G.  If you don't have 2G phone you can purchase a decent phone for 4,000 baht or less at one of the many phone shops in Thailand.  The pre-paid SIM can be purchase at same shop or any 7-11 store.  You will have choice from three main companies (AIS, DTAC and True). Once you have SIM check with service center of that company for best promotion that suits your needs. The promotions will offer different rates for calls and SMS messages.  I would suggest you visit the 4th floor of MBK shopping center in Bangkok to purchase phone and SIM.

One thing I did not mention about renting a place if you get that far is utilities.  Make sure you ask what the per unit cost for electric and water will be because some landlords tack on a few baht extra per unit.

cheers,
straydog

G'Day Straydog,

You are certainly a mine of information, not only directly to me, but I see your "tag" (he he he) on so many other blogs.

I had thought with accomodation during my "recon" periods, to stay in a hotel where I get the room cleaned etc for me. One less thing for me to worry about. I see I can get a room for less than 3000TBH per week, and while I realise they may not be all that flash, will probably suit my needs and wallet.I will stil have commitments in Australia as well, till I make the BIG decision.

All info has been recorded on my personal shoulder top memory device.

Many many thanks,

Regards,

Eric.