Pets in Tanzania

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Tanzania have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Tanzania? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Tanzanians think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Hello,

I took my two cats with me to Tanzania. They needed a import form which you i got from a veterinarian from Dar es salaam. You pay him and him make the papers in order. The veterinarian needs a few papers. Like the pasport of your pet, and the papers where is standing which vaccinations your pet has.

For Tanzania the pet need Rabies vaccination and a chip. But you can ask the veterinarian everything the pet needs. Find a veterinarian who is in Tanzania because they know what you all need, they can help you.

For the transport you need the transport box what is required at your airline. Most of them are the some but check before you buy anything.

Karibu Tanzania.

Hi,

Could you please let me know whether you brought your cats to Tanzania as cargo or excess checked baggage or whether they were in the cabin with you?
What was your experience, were you happy with the service provided?

Also, did you have a pet agent at the airport in Tanzania who received the cats and did all the customs clearance for you there? How much did it cost? Can you please send me some contacts?

Thank you and regards,

Eva