Looking for info on setting up a business in Dar-es-salaam

Hello Friends,

I am Sandeep from New Delhi, India. I am a graduate electronics engineer, working for an IT company here in India as QA Analyst. I have been exploring business options in Africa for quite some time, especially in East Africa, since most countries there are stable, and have great potential for business. I don't have much capital at my disposal, but I am working on it, and I am interested in setting up a company in Dar-es-salaam, Tanzania through which I plan to import IT hardware and sell in the local market as well as other countries in east Africa. It requires small capital for start-up, so I am hopeful that my plans can work in a place like Tanzania.
These are my long term plans, it will take time and resources to get in running on the ground, but I am very much interested and passionate about it. I have gone through the TIC website, got a lot of details, but the fact is that they process applications only in cases where the minimum investment is something close US$ 300000, which is way too much for me.I would like how is the local business environment there, especially the market for IT hardware products. What are rental costs for setting up a small office in the city in Tanzanian shillings ? Also, how safe is Dar-es-salaam as a place to live for an expat ? I have heard from some of my friends who have been to Africa, especially Kenya, Ghana, South Africa and other countries as saying that crime is rampant in most cities of Africa and law enforcement is absolutely poor, they were advised to not venture out at most places after sunset as it isn't safe for them. 

I will be highly grateful to anyone, who can answer my queries and give a lowdown on the business and social scene for an expat in Dar-es-salaam. My email id is : [email protected]

Regards,
Sandeep

Welcome on board Sandeep ;)

I hope that other members will contribute to your various queries soon.

Regards :)

I will write to you through your email adress

^^ I am awaiting your reply.

Check your email Sandeep. All the best