Getting resident visa after marriage

Hello All,

I moved to Ghana in March 2016 on a tourist visa from the US and got married a few months later to a Ghanaian. Can someone tell me when will I be able to apply for a resident visa? The information I've seen so far seems to suggest 5 years after living here. That seems unreasonable. Am I expected to leave Ghana and then keep returning on my multi-entry tourist visa?


You apply for the residents permit during the 90 days visitors visa period. You will then be issued with a residents permit for a year which allows multiple entry. After the first year you can get a two or three year permit. You will also have to get the non-citizen's ID card as you need to show it when you apply for the permit. After 5 years you can apply for an indefinite visa as long as you can fulfill the conditions. I got mine this year and that means I am a permanent resident.

Thanks hkann, that is manageable.

hello dear, I am a bangladeshi passport holder. now stay in malaysia (work permit). I have a girl friend ghanyan. she live in accra. she wish to get marry, my wish also. how can meet together, arrange visa. my wish to settle in ghana. after can get a citizenship or not & how? thanks

I presume you will have to get a visa and fly to Accra. You can then get married and apply for a residents visa but that will not allow you to work so you will have to have funds to support yourself or your wife will have to support you. After 5 years you can apply for an indefinite visa or maybe citizenship

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Accra

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Accra

Moving to Accra

Find tips from professionals about moving to Accra

Travel insurance in Accra

Enjoy stress-free travel to Accra