How to get citizenship in Ghana?

Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take to live legally in Ghana? I want to move to Ghana and live there. I'm wondering how long it takes to get citizenship? If I visit Ghana on tourist visa can I just stay there and file for citizenship to stay? I plan on going for two weeks stay in Sept. Can I get any of this accomplished in that time?

Thanks Jessy

Hi Jessy,
Beware! some people are crooked.The best way is to go to Ghana Immigration service when you will come in Ghana.
When i came in Ghana, i didn't call anyone to apply for me or give money ,no.I moved myself,with my passport and other docs.Assistant agent will help you.
Now, i get my resident permit and every year i go there to pay before, out of date.its so easy.
Cheers!

Oh yes I am very aware of scammers and crooked people. I have already ran into one in the past. I'm just looking for information nothing more and I agree I will move myself there and pally and pay by myself. Thanks for the advise. I just wished all the scamming would stop because they give a bad name to good people there.

Freddy, thanks for the info and I'm already learning Ewe.

Good luck for your learning Ewe language,there are diversities og language here.Several ethnic groups and people who communicate and share the joy and peace together...Even,if you travel to Togo,you 'll have no problem its one of  the most popular language used there.

I am wondering if you are using the correct terminology. Are you sure you want citizenship or a resident's permit? I am sure you can go to immigration and find out the requirements in two weeks but doubt if you can actually complete the process as you need to be living here to do that.

I want to live in Ghana. I want to keep living there without being tossed out for not being a citizen. Is all I need to do us just move there then apply for residence?

Basically yes but you have to fulfill certain criteria. I suggest you look at the Ghanaian immigration website as suggested and see what the criteria are and if you qualify

That'll basically take years...

Or do you think I could get a cab to the States for 2 weeks and maybe get a citizenship within that time?

Common sense, people, common sense please!

U can not achieve citizenship in a two week time frame it's impossible. It will take time. You can possibly get a extended stay visa in two weeks. Unless you marry a Ghanaian it will take time and money but either way time.

I'm married to a Ghanaian and have no intention of becoming a citizen. However I am going to get an indefinite permit once I have been in the country for 5 years. At the moment I just apply for a resident's permit every year although I hope they might give me the permit for more than one year this time.

Hi jessy,
As said hKann,you just need to apply for a resident permit every year.Personally,i have been in the country for 3 year and every year i go to Ghana immigration service before the expiry date.Its very important.So if you want to become a citizen,just be in the good standing.
Cheers!

Hi Jessy,all you neeed is just a Resident permit

u just apply its 240GHC

its not complicatyed to move over here just rich ghana ambassy in your country and get the visa once you are here u will apply for the noncityzen card its 240GHC SLIGHTLY 120 USD i think, but to become cityzen u may stay permanently 5 years if i am not mistaken , but it is a cool country there is nothing you should be worried about, , if u need more information just post it you will probably get the response

It's actually 50 cedis for a resident's permit for one year. The Non-Citizen Identity Card is the equivalent of US$120 and is for any expat who stays in Ghana for more than 90 days in a calendar year.
After 5 years you can get an indefinite permit if you are married to a Ghanaian, I think it is 10 years if you are not. I haven't looked into citizenship so don't know how long you need to be here for that

I confirm 50Ghana cedis for one year
to apply for your resident permit.
Cheers!

Thanks everyone for the information. I find it very helpful.

Hi jessyO,
You will always be welcome.
Its very simple,just go to Ghana Immigration service and you'll apply and get more informations.
Cheers!