Residency visa

What exactly do you need to have and do ? 
Thanks Mike.

If you are married to a Ghanaian you need to have been here for 5 years and have assets in Ghana like a property or investments. You also need the ID card and at least 6 months on your present resident's permit. You go to Immigration and purchase the necessary form and return it to them. You will need 2 people of good standing to vouch for you and to supply details of income and your marriage certificate. Then you wait. I submitted mine in August and have heard nothing yet but my resident's permit is till September so there is no urgency!

Thanks, how do I obtain residence permit then?

You go to Immigration and get the forms. You need basically the same things as for the permanent residency except you don't need property etc. You just need your ID, your marriage certificate and photos. They give you one year first and then after that you can get two or three years. Remember though unlike permanent residency you won't be allowed to work

So do you still have to  be here for 5 years?

Not for residency. I applied for mine as soon as I arrived on my visitor's visa and got it in those first couple of months

Sorry so where do I go and what do I need to take with me ? Thanks for your help   Mike.

Just go to immigration and get the forms, fill them in and get the necessary documentation.  It will tell you what is needed. Then submit it. You can get your ID card at immigration too and you will need that. It is called a Foreign Nationals ID card.

Thankyou

Is the process to obtain a residency visa different if you're not married to a Ghanian?

Not sure about a residency visa if you are not married to a Ghanaian as they are usually together with a work permit. Go to immigration they will advise you.
If you are talking about the indefinite visa which is really permanent residency I think the paperwork is the same but you have to be here 10 years

Thank you!