Opening company in Accra - needing work/resident VISA

Dear Members,

I need to open an office branch of my company in Accra in Q1 2012. Subsequently I will need to relocate in Accra for 3 years with my spouse so I'll need work/resident visas.

Can I open the company prior to have work visa? I.e. could I go to Ghana with a tourist visa and initiate the process and then apply for the work/resident visa? How bureocratic is this process?

Thanks and kind regards,

Marcio

I suggest you look on the website for ghana immigration for the visa process. I would expect that you would need a business visa of some kind if you are setting up a business. I know you are not allowed to work on a tourist visa.

Hi,

My experience living and working in Ghana for a period of three years gave me a good inclination that you really need to find someone who has connections and knows who to talk to. In Ghana it's not what you know but who you know. I always wanted to start my own business during my time in Accra but you really need to have a clear direction and understanding of what your getting in too. I also knowits expensive and the Gov will take all that they can.
Best of Luck, you can usually buy a visitors visia for a hundred dollars when you fly into Ghana.

:)

Hi Marcia I am
Australian and Ghanaian as well now living in Accra
Ghana ,what is your company into?yes u can travel to Ghana on a visitors visa and initiate business registration work visa etc,I can be of help to expedite the process, you may send me your email address and I would send you info on starting a business in Ghana my email is [email protected] feel free if you have any further questions

Thanks for the tips to all.

I'm following the advise of having someone local to show me around. I do have a few business partners already in Ghana.
My biggest concerns are renting house/flat and office space in good location to both live and conduct business.

Kind regards,

Marcio

You can with a visitors/business visa,when you are here then apply for work/resident permit.but come to think of it if you have some local people here.let them do it for you.they are in a better place to help you