HI PEOPLE I WOULD APPRECIATE IF I MIGHT FIND OUT HOW SAFE IT IS

CAN SOMEONE WHO PRESENTLY LIVES IN CHAIN MAI TELL ME HOW SAFE IT IS TO LIVE THERE  I KNOW I CANT BE AS BAD AS CHICAGO  BUT ANY AND ALL INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED   THANKS  AND HAVE A SAFE WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS

Hi koorana, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to give you some information.

ps: can you please do not use your caps lock on the forum.

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas.
Christine

I don't live in CM but on visits have found it to be safe.

I live near Chiang Mai and visit it regularly.
If you take the basic precautions you would anywhere you will find it a perfectly safe and friendly environment.

Chiang Mai is a relatively safe city under all aspects. 
Although it is one's interaction with the local people that can become dangerous.  Perhaps it will take some time to see that Thais and Westerners have complete different views and criteria for what is good or bad.  They all have a general attitude and perception towards Farangs ( foreigners ) you'll see for yourself.
Keep your eyes open and don't put your guard down due to their constant smiling.  I have learned to be extra careful when they are smiling, it usually results in some monetary loss to my finances...or similar...stick to Straydog's advice.

i sincerely thank you  i was brought up on the streets of chicago and am extremely street wise  its sad to say but true in american you can trust absolutely no one  so i am always on guard  i also have 24 years of martial arts experience and 3 black belts  so i wont worry but i will be careful i sincerely thank you for your advice   counting the day till i leave the united states  this country is a sinking ship sad but very true  a government that lies to the people and can not ever be trusted have a great new year

Hi Koorana, I made it to Chiang Mai on my last visit to Thailand, I had a great time. I am male but I don't have black belts but I felt safe all the time.  Just be savy but but no matter what always smile back.  You will love Chiang Mai I think.  I am heading, I hope soon, back to Thailand and probably Chiang Rai which is north of CM.  I will work there for a year.   Take care, have fun.

As safe as any other big city.  The recent threat is mysterious deaths at a hotel from an unknown disease.  This link seems to give a reliable account.   healthmapblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/mysterious-deaths-in-chiang-mai.html

I personally know someone who was robbed and someone who was murdered.  But your biggest threats are from accident - as in most developing countries police do not patrol - so bad drivers stay on the road.

This Hotel (Downtown Inn) is the low end hotel of a chain of 3. The flag ship is "Empress Hotel" where people go for a wonderful buffet brunch, daily.  The second in the chain is "The Park Hotel."  I don't think the hotel would have done I live in Chiang Mai, and have been there since the 1970's, and love the city.  But tourists do stupid things, like staying in this hotel was one of them.  The park is much better.

Maybe I should say something.  The "hill tribes" are much more than simple people wearing ancient costumes for tourists.  You really need to know a lot more than we can tell you in a public forum.  But, don't be naive!
empresshotels.com/

Cliff