How bad is the 'smokey' time of the year up in Chieng Mai?

I've heard about the season of the year up around Chieng Mai where the country farmers burn their fields and it creates a pollution problem.  I've seen some people who say it's so bad they have to leave town but surely there are people stay, right?

Seems to me that if all the expats who had places up there left for 3 months (or whatever period of time it is) that that would radically effect their cost-of-living averages, right?

Could somebody give me some input on how bad it realy gets?

Thanks,
Art

wanderingsalsero wrote:

I've heard about the season of the year up around Chieng Mai where the country farmers burn their fields and it creates a pollution problem.  I've seen some people who say it's so bad they have to leave town but surely there are people stay, right?

Seems to me that if all the expats who had places up there left for 3 months (or whatever period of time it is) that that would radically effect their cost-of-living averages, right?

Could somebody give me some input on how bad it realy gets?

Thanks,
Art

Polution wise I canŽt give you and stats but I can tell you that it is smokey enough for you NOT to be able to see the mountains that surround the city from a reference point of the city centre (Thapae gate), and Lasts no longer than 10 or 11 weeks.

The season usually starts in mid-Februay, and lasts until the start of the rainy season, +/- mid-April.

It is so bad, many of the Northern Thai airports use their landing lights during the daytime.

that's pretty bad....is there anyplace else similar to Chieng Mai where people like to go during those months?  What about across to Laos?  Any cool places up there?

Art

The expats who leave the city, often use the opportunity to return home to visit family, etc, etc.

Except for the +/- nine northern provinces, the rest of the county, especially the areas near the beaches are just fine.

In addition, you have the options of going to Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, >>>

I assume Vientiane is the only place to go in Laos, right?  Anybody know how the internet service is up there?

Art

Luang Prabang is a neat little town, with non-stop air between CM and LP. However, it might be in the 'smoke zone', don't know.
I think Vientiane is probably okay.

I haven't been there for several years, but I recall the net in Vientiane being pretty darn good.

But I think you can get some pretty good info by Googlin'.

Thanks S99.

Art

p.s.  I'll never forget that I saw my first bottle of Heineken beer in Vientiane.  I'm not much of a drinker but I knew what it was and was very surprised.

Art

Hello wanderingsalsero, do not hesitate to ask your questions related to Vientiane on the Laos forum itself. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Wow!  I just googled that place where you live.  The pictures are AWESOME!!!

Art

Speaking from experience Vientiane is a lovely place to be.

I have heard the air quality in Luang Prabang is as bad or worse than Chiang Mai during the smokey season - can anyone confirm?

Northern Lao does have a smoke haze during the season.
Southern Lao not as bad.

I've been looking more seriously at Chieng Mai lately.  So I was wondering if 'staying inside' during the smokey season lessens the effect of it.  Obviously some people stay there all year.

Art