Is tangier a good place to live

Hey everyone is tangier a good place to live ?

Hi Lynn,

Tangier can be a good place to live in if you are well established. Life cost is increasing, however accomodation offer is large as well as the job market, where the english besides arabic or french is very appreciated.

Public transportation is little difficult to rely upon but it is doing its basic function. the city main points of interest are not very spread.

I do not know what are your and your husband profiles but I would recommend looking for jobs before coming.

Hope it helps in some way

I can give more details by msg if need be.

Thank u so much for replying to me, he is currently in Casablanca where he has lived all his life. We consider tangier as it may be cooler climate for me than Casablanca, our preference to get him here won't be able to happen so this what our next option. He is at the moment applying for jobs, so hopefully he will hear something soon. Basically I just wanted to hear from anyone who lives there to give me some info so thank you. Have you lived there for long ? And are you happy there ? Are you an expatriate ? How do you cope in summer heat ? This my concern also..many thanx

Hi Lynn,

As you can see from my profile I am not expatriate, but I have lived in Europe for some time thus I can do some comparisons.
With regards to the weather, Tangier might be slightly cooler than Casablanca but it is very humid.
With regards to the city organisation, administrations, uses or social life, I trust you have been introduced to it by your husband, but it is to note that Tangier (and the north in general) has some peculiarities compared with other cities: shops do not open early, people in general are more conservative.
I believe you have chances to find a job as a carer as there are many expats, and local families having their children at the american school or other english speaking schools. you can also post an ad at these establishments.

Cheers

Hi there thank u so much for your reply, I do not like intense heat or humidity. I do not have tolerance for it. I have been to Casablanca twice Marrakech once and visited rabat for day trips. I am still unsure as to where is best for us, for climate and job prospects many thanx

Sovly89 wrote:

Hey everyone is tangier a good place to live ?

3.5 years later:

It's a fantastic place to live!
I am a New Yorker, owner of a residence in Tangier.
The best areas to live are in Iberia, California or Mershan.
Avoid the Medina at all cost, too humid, or Malabata, too far from city center.
The Kasbah is not bad but a little bit too touristy.
If you have lots of extra cash, the Old Mountain is also a good place to live and invest.
If safety is very important (say you like to go out late) then there is only one area: Mershan. The official residence of the King is in Mershan and everything is tightly monitors 24/7 within 100 meter radius.

All best,
A.

Hello , i have been in tangier 8 years so i seen everything here , mershan and california and iberia is the best places to live and all places near center are best .
about safety tangier is a safe place to live but dont go live in popular hood because you come late or at early morning you may get some problems but not always .
I feel happy to live in tangier and i sm an expat , about the heat its not so hot here   you need to live near the sea to feel some cold air in summer .
the cost of life here is increasing this last years and keep going , the transports here is always active from bus to taxi to grand taxi .
People are friendly and live with foreign from a long time , specially in the medina .

Yes Abe123 you right mershan is a wonderful place really and its full of police and monitoring 24/7 .