Any interest in a moving blog?

I handed my notice in today so it's happening! Woohoo!

I've decided I'm going to start a diary/blog to record this move, as it's a massive deal for my husband and me. Friends and family can keep up with what we're doing and I can record useful info for anyone moving in the future. Plus I love writing :)

Do you think anyone outside my circle would be interested in reading this? Is that something that I could share on the forum or is it restricted?

It'll just be short entries with a bit of self-depreciating Scottish humour knowing me!

Hi Feline!
I cant answer if its correct or not to write a blog on here, but I would personally read it! We were all set to go and my husbands job got taken at the 11th hour....never mind! But we had such exciting plans, we were going to drive to Malta in our van ( That we brought esp for the move second hand as it worked out a cheaper option than hiring one!) we had our route planned and myself, husband, teen son and assorted belongings were on their way! I am obsessed with trying to get there haha!!
So in answer to your post, it would be interesting to read another adventurous souls plans!!

Good luck to you and I hope its amazing for you, if we do ever manage to find another job for him ( or myself!) we can meet up for a coffee?!
Debbie 😁

BlossomGray wrote:

Hi Feline!
I cant answer if its correct or not to write a blog on here, but I would personally read it!

Blogs certainly can be posted/linked to, there is a section of the site dedicated to it.  It's found under COMMUNITY at the top of the screen, then --> Blogs  :top:

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

BlossomGray wrote:

Good luck to you and I hope its amazing for you, if we do ever manage to find another job for him ( or myself!) we can meet up for a coffee?!
Debbie 😁

Hi Debbie

Definitely! We aren't moving for a few months, hope you make it over soon.

We're moving without my husband having a job as well, so can share any job hunting stories. Best of luck!

(Now I just need to work out how to set up a blog!)

romaniac wrote:
BlossomGray wrote:

Hi Feline!
I cant answer if its correct or not to write a blog on here, but I would personally read it!

Blogs certainly can be posted/linked to, there is a section of the site dedicated to it.  It's found under COMMUNITY at the top of the screen, then --> Blogs  :top:

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thanks!

felinefine81 wrote:

(Now I just need to work out how to set up a blog!)

Hi there!

Blogger on Google is pretty straightforward.

I'd definitely be interested in reading your stories, too!

Good luck with everything
Bernie

Thanks, will check that out. Someone else suggested WordPress too.

Now the latest problem is finding a name for it!

Thanks everyone!

I've set up the blog. It's still a work in progress, please bear with me!

https://ourmaltamove.wordpress.com/

There is also a link to the FB page on the site, if that is easier to keep up with my posts.

I'll put this in the Blog area too, but wanted to share for those who expressed interest in this post.

Nice start .... now how about that raw Scottish humour?

I didn't want to scare people off at the beginning! Also... I'll have to watch cos my 'humour' usually contains swearing as I think it's funny - but I don't want to offend anyone! (Also my mum and dad are reading) 😁

Swearing is an odd thing, Billy C makes it 'rolling around the floor requiring a change of underwear' funny, but most just don't pull it off, usually making themselves look daft.
It's probably better to skip the naughty words.

There is nothing funny in swearing or in being crude, it is not necessary if the 'comedian' is funny in the first place.
This forum is certainly not the place for it.

Ray

No one is swearing in the forum...

For a lot of people in Scotland it's more like punctuation sometimes. In any case, I was saying I'll need to watch myself and not swear so as not to offend anyone!!

felinefine81 wrote:

No one is swearing in the forum...

For a lot of people in Scotland it's more like punctuation sometimes. In any case, I was saying I'll need to watch myself and not swear so as not to offend anyone!!

Swearing on the forum is absolutely a naughty no no, and you're likely to get a slapped wrist if you do, but your blog isn't the forum.

The written word is very different to the spoken word, commonly meaning only a bad writer needs to use bad language, but those words can be legitimately used in some situations, especially if Billy Connellyis within a hundred miles of a camera.

Anyone who is very PC, hates swearing, has no change of underwear available and/or has no sense of humour should not click on the link.
If anyone would care to tell me Billy isn't funny, don't bother, I love the guy.

Odd and disgusting as swearing is to some people, other groups consider it almost essential, the Scottish and Spongebob fans being two such groups.
Cross cultural understanding is in play here.

Swearing has nothing to do with culture and everything to do with the lack of it.
As for stating that it is punctuation in Scotland, I am not surprised!

Ray

Let's try to stay on topic  :whistle:

What are you not surprised about?

I think people get off subject on this Forum sometimes....
No one should be judgmental about whether or not some people like swearing!
None of this has anything to do with Malta or moving there!

I think Scottish people are great!
In fact, I don't have any problems with anyone.....just wish everyone could be nicer to each other, even on this Forum!

Well I've been writing blogs for years and I agree it's a great way to at least keep family and friends up to date with what's goings on. I use Wordpress and Blogger. I'm moving over next week and have consolidated my life into 50 kg and 3 suitcases. You really should watch the George Carlin sketch on YouTube called "stuff" I'm leaving all of my old stuff behind.
Good luck

Good Luck Chalks!
Debbie 😁

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac. This is a great laugh and no swearing Foxglove  :gloria Put this in your blog it was in one of mine....6million hits on YouTube

Good luck Chalks! You won't regret it :)

Reminds me of our move about 6 months ago (already :o time flies). Bf and I moved over with 5 bags each weighing in 100kg. I wouldn't want to do that again!

blackangelheart this is my fear! I'm not that obsessed with belongings, but I like my home comforts, so I will have a fair amount of stuff I want to move with me. I think we better organise shipping rather than dealing with all the luggage at the airport.

I'm continuing to update my blog with all the info I've learned so far in my research about moving. I tried to add my blog to the Expat Blogs page as advised but I don't see it yet for some reason :(

Anyway- anyone who wants to follow my progress can follow the blog per the link above or by the Facebook page shown on the sidebar in the blog. And there is no swearing, I promise ;)

Fi

:) Well Fi I've just read you blog. It's very good, I'll follow your progress with interest, i took a look at your experience with agents. I found my place by talking to a lady running the local coffee shop. It was a great deal and fab place. I've just got back from my last night with my friends here (quite sad) but they're all saying they will come and visit. I haven't done yet but will post comment on your blog at some stage.
Enjoy

Apparently they won't post my blog on the Expat Blogs page yet as it's  'too new'!

Will try again when I have more posts. I'm trying to spread the posts out in case I run out of things to say before we move! 😄

Hi Felinefine81

Yes I would be very interested to read your blog. I'm hoping to make the move myself the end of this year/early next year. 

Good luck with the move 😀