Broadband in Villages

I'm very soon moving to the small village of Furen and it is out in the sticks as we English say.

I'm just wondering how do other expats get broadband out in remote Areas or is it a work in progress?

I'm not looking forward to having to treck the mileage to Vratsa every night just to keep folks up to date on my wellbeing and communicate with my friends here!

In England, I use a 3-mobile dongle.

Do they have this technology in place at all?

My computer is my window on the world as I suffer from PTSD and Social Anxiety, so tend to keep away from crowds unless I'm performing in which case I'm on stage not in the crowd!

3g coverage is available in most areas in Bulgaria. In some areas, 4g is becoming available. (Although this is mostly near cities and not into villages yet, but telenor expects to offer a more complete 4g network in the next year or two).

If 3g coverage is not available, you should still be able to get a semi-decent internet through your phone line or as satellite. It is generally a matter of asking people in your village what they use and talking to the major providers to see if they can accommodate your village.

Most people will find that for general use (email, the occasional skype call) there are multiple solutions in their village. The problem becomes if you are using streaming often or use internet for business purposes and frequently upload/download large amounts.

I live in a village near vt and have to use a vivacom dongle for emails, face time and netflix its ok i lived in suffolk before moving here with so called broad band and it was rubbish. Bulgerians love there internet so its getting better all the time.

Try Telnet in BT on the main road out from the market on the left hand side, they should be able to help you as we have  internet via a dish which is very good, high speed for films, and if you pay upfront for a year you get extra two month free.

Hi Kosaka,
I'm very grateful for the reply but have no idea what Market you speak of, where is this market, please?! My village will be Furen when I get there! Satellite sound a great idea but what is the cost like? Here in the UK, it's very expensive for what you get! Thanks

No, satellite internet is not overly expensive... I was paying 30 bgn a month for my satellite when I lived in a  village. But again, it is about coverage and reliability and what is available in your particular village. You will really either have to ask your neighbors/the mayor or go to the main internet stores in the next city.