Mobile phone cost and broadband

Hello,

Does any one know if there is a 3G broadband (SIM card) in Sofia and what is the best cost for a 1 month subscription only?

Thank you in advance.

There is no one month subscription only. You can take a prepaid plan, 5EUR for the simcard.

97% of Bulgaria is 3G, jus be sure to buy your card from MTEL or GLOBUL and you wont be having any problems.

Thank you so much for the info!!!!!!!!

I understand that there is a good Broadband/ADSL service (over fixed phone lines) in Bulgaria.  Does this extend to most of the towns and villages or where you can have a phone installed.

I have come across some places in Bulgaria where phones were difficult to install bt the phone company let alone broadband. That is very much the case in UK except here it's not so much technical difficulties as British Telecom wish to make loadsamoney.

3G services although useful have very limited bandwidth and are slow by comparison.  If you wanted to run a small web server or similar over them they would not have the speed or capacity and be very expensive anyway.

I would say that for Bulgaria in most cities, towns & villages there would be no issues to get a cable internet and the bandwidth is a choice. It only takes a day to get connected as well. You must have been in a very, very remote area not to be able to get internet access. Also, some providers offer satellite internet access.

Thank you for that.  I worked with some IT startup companies and the biggest obstruction to innovation was the stranglehold BT had over any competition.  Satalite internet access is still quite unheard of and most versions require a phone line for your uplink the downlink being like Satalite TV, one way only the downlink.

Where I am we are supposed to get 6MB, we are lucky to get 1.5Mb and the line bounces so much that sometimes it's unuseable.  It's amazing the service many EU countries have that makes UK's look like a Model-T.  But as usual British is Best, especially if you don't go further than Dover.

I was in the war you know.........

Unless you are in a very small village of only 1K houses, I assure you... you will have dissent internet speed and you can watch live TV on your computer with no issues.

That is excellent news thank you, we seem to get ripped off for rubbish service here.  We are promised 20mb get told we will only get 6mb because of "line problems" and end up with 1.5mb.  Honest, decent, legal.............no just theft and lies.

jagd1 I have had such experience as well. Many internet user have had, and it is common in the internet world. The best cure for such business is competition. ;)

FYI - DO NOT USE GLOBUL. They have almost non existing customer service and refuse to respond to inquiries, as well as their charges are unclear. Not sure if Globul all over the EU is like this, but Globul in Bulgaria is terrible, coverage, rates are outrageous, and CS is horrible. The worst thing is they refuse to turn on/off options to the sim card - such as data or other. How incompetent is this?!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me - DO NOT USE GLOBUL!!!