Organic Foods

Hi,
I just moved to Malta and I would love to find some real organic veggies, fruits, eggs even milk. Is there any farm or place that I can buy organic food?
Thanks in advance.

There are a few listed here.......

http://www.findit.com.mt/en/directory/6 … -foods.htm

Terry

Great Thank you soo much :)

Also you can check to pavi supermarket because they have pretty large options

Its in Sliema right?
Thank you, Tesekkurler :)

Doga E wrote:

Its in Sliema right?
Thank you, Tesekkurler :)

no its in qormi  , get the x5 from sliema to marsa park and ride

Thank you so much :)

Hi!

We have been here a little over two months, and came from a region with lots of organic farming - I see now we were spoiled. Here, I have found the selection is dismal for organic fresh things in the three grocery stores in walking distance from our place in St J's. Many things are from a great distance and are very expensive. The eggs from Italy were good, but I have yet to see many organic dairy products. I have not yet tried Pavi, so was happy to see that in the replies. 

I found a two year old article from the Times of Malta recently that said that Malta is one of the places in the EU with the lowest amount of organic agriculture, and I don't really think it has significantly improved. There are organic olives/oils and grapes, but not a lot of other things. Someone at the Holland and Barrett in Valletta (there are several of those shops in the area) told me that there is an organic farm near the President's Residence toward Mdina, but we don't have a car and I haven't taken the time to go by bus. I sounded like a CSA-type thing.

Good luck - if you find more, please post! I will do the same! :)

Good Earth in Ballutta Bay and Casa Natura on High Street in Sliema have organic dry foods, soy milk, etc but they don't sell produce. There is Vincent's Eco farm in Mgarr - look them up in Facebook. I haven't actually been myself.

Think most of the food grown in Gozo is organic judging by the trailer loads of sh**,you know what and the lack of any means of adding chemical fertiliser. Only rarely seen anyone spraying crops with pesticide and then usually only the vines being sprayed with a hand sprayer.
As for eggs, I can see the chickens that are laying our eggs out of the window at the farm across the road!
Most of our veg comes from the local mobile van and he grows much of it himself as do many of them.

Ray

We get a weekly delivery from sicily. I can't recommend it highly enough - produce is amazing & unlike any other i've found here in Malta.

http://barbutonatural.com/about-barbuto/

Ray, thanks - do you think the local veg truck guys do get their produce locally? My garden at home was organic by neglect, but I know some people wouldn't think twice about using chemicals, so just knowing who the grower is without knowing if their motto is 'better living through chemistry' may not be enough! :)

-Liz

Thank you so much - this looks fabulous. I think we can consider Sicily pretty local! :)

eatw wrote:

Ray, thanks - do you think the local veg truck guys do get their produce locally? My garden at home was organic by neglect, but I know some people wouldn't think twice about using chemicals, so just knowing who the grower is without knowing if their motto is 'better living through chemistry' may not be enough! :)

-Liz

I can only go by what he tells me, in summer he is in his fields working at 4.00am before then doing his veg round which includes produce he has picked that morning. Most growers in Gozo will not spend money on chemicals when they can source the natural stuff easily. We have sheep living in the house next door and the guy who owns them comes along every now and then with his trailer and rotavator and loads the muck up to spread on his fields.

Ray

There's a guy called Lewis in Armier, he has some fields there that have been organic for generations. You go there, take a wheelbarrow and go round the fields, telling what you want and he'll just cut/pull it out for you - can't get any fresher! Lots of snails and other bugs included. It wasn't expensive either, but since it was a 20 km drive one way for us, we stopped going ... His products are on sale though at the Veg Box in Villa Bologna (Attard/Balzan), but with a huge mark-up, so although that was a 4 minute walk for us, we stopped going 'cause it was too expensive :)

nilonilonilo wrote:

There's a guy called Lewis in Armier, he has some fields there that have been organic for generations. You go there, take a wheelbarrow and go round the fields, telling what you want and he'll just cut/pull it out for you - can't get any fresher! Lots of snails and other bugs included. It wasn't expensive either, but since it was a 20 km drive one way for us, we stopped going ... His products are on sale though at the Veg Box in Villa Bologna (Attard/Balzan), but with a huge mark-up, so although that was a 4 minute walk for us, we stopped going 'cause it was too expensive :)

Just because a local farmer calls his fruit and veg "organic" doesn't make it so.

It was only last year that some farmers were found to be using human sewage waste on their fields!

There is no enforcement of organic standards ( or anything else) in Malta.

Terry

@Ray  -  That's very encouraging - maybe they are doing in old style but not bothering with touting their products as 'all natural' or getting certified as 'organic' because why bother?  It could cut both ways, so I'm thankful you clarified! :)

The Veg Box was the place I had heard about.

I have signed up with Barbuta, we'll get the first box in about ten days. I can report back. The prices seemed reasonable to me by comparison with the local shops.