Learning Arabic

Hi everyone.
Is it wise to hire someone to teach me Arabic or is it better to enroll in a class with other students? I have never had to learn a second language so I'm completely lost when it comes to this subject. Shukran.

Hi again  :cheers:

I studied in groups and also took classes with a private tutor.  I found the private tutor much more useful because we moved at my pace, but the group classes were really important for building a circle of friends when I first arrived.

So I guess it depends on your needs and how quickly you need to progress.

I didn't get really comfortable or intelligible using Egyptian Arabic until I made Arabic speaking friends and used it in real life settings though.

Hi there.
Well I need to learn the basics as soon as possible so I am leaning towards a tutor. Who knows when I will make friends! And shukran for that housing advice.

No problem.

RE: finding a good tutor, it might be a good idea to sign up for classes at an established centre and see if there is a specific teacher whose teaching style suits you and then ask about private lessons.  A lot of them teach privately on the side.

Friends are tough, but do you perhaps have any Egyptian contacts through people from back home?  This is safer than just launching yourself out there.  :)

I do have a few contacts but none of them is a native speaker and none of them has the time (yeah right) to teach me. I'll keep looking though. I also noticed there is quite a few language schools in the city. Any particular preference?

I haven't used a language centre for almost a decade, so am not best placed to offer recommendations I am afraid.  I used to use ILI, some of my classmates also used Kalimat.   Both of these are in Mohandeseen,  but no idea if they are still running I'm afraid.

It does take a lot of time and effort to teach someone a new language so it is understandable that your contacts don't feel able to take on that responsibility.  Good luck settling in and making friends.   Have you thought of going to concerts at alSawy culture wheel in zamalek, or visiting bikya book cafe in heliopolis or maadi?

Also look out for events at art galleries and cultural centres.  The district in maadi also has film screenings and events.

Try cairo360.com and the arts and culture section of english.ahram.org.eg for upcoming events.

Much appreciated.

Hello sorry for this late message..i am sally a free lance arabic teacher..i am willing to give you a free arabic class as a trial, the you decide :) thank you

Hi
If you're still interested
I can teach you the basic arabic
But just to be clear Arabic is my mother tongue but teaching is not my career
I have a friend that i used to teach arabic
Please feel free to write me at any time

Dears ,
i will show an classic  Egyptian movie with English subtitles tomorrow night isA , details on the event below
https://www.expat.com/en/events/africa/ … --sun.html

An classic. What a scholar