Single Mother Living in Cairo

I just accepted a teaching job at an international school in Cairo. I am a single parent, with a son, and I'm wondering how I will be seen by people in Cairo. I understand that everybody's different and that some will accept me and some won't, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a big deal.

I am super excited about living in an Islamic country, despite being an atheist. The cultures of the Middle East I find very intriguing. I'm hoping that I will be able to interact with people, as I did in Mombasa's Old Town, and find some acceptance.

Hie Mellisa,

I suppose its not a problem in Egypt. I have been there many times and i dont see a problem at all.

U r from Kenya, Mombasa nice place....bye see u soon.

Regards,

Yogesh

i sent you a private message u can read

It shouldn't be a problem.  However, it's often better to keep your business to yourself and not to be too open with people, certainly to start with, until you get to know them well. I would recommend this policy about yourself in general and not specifically about being a single mother.  The most important thing is to come and enjoy yourselves and your time here.  Good luck!

cmelissa wrote:

... I understand that everybody's different and that some will accept me and some won't, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a big deal.

To accept you for what?
If you are going to live a decent life and to see about your problems, nobody has anything with you! Maybe, at the beginning they look at you strange, being new around, but after that they are costumed.
If you are going to mix with families, it is normal any wife to see you as a potential " danger"!
But this is in all the world, not only here!
Good luck!

cmelissa wrote:

I just accepted a teaching job at an international school in Cairo. I am a single parent, with a son, and I'm wondering how I will be seen by people in Cairo. I understand that everybody's different and that some will accept me and some won't, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a big deal.

I am super excited about living in an Islamic country, despite being an atheist. The cultures of the Middle East I find very intriguing. I'm hoping that I will be able to interact with people, as I did in Mombasa's Old Town, and find some acceptance.

Hi,

Are you in Cairo already? Which part are you/ will you be living in?

cmelissa wrote:

Hi :)

I think you'll be fine in Cairo, although I don't know any single parents here personally... Most educated people won't think badly of you anyway.

I usually find that Athiests are actually more interested in learning about all different religions and cultures than many religious people (sweeping generalisation I know) ;-) Comes from having an enquiring open mind I guess. There's certainly lots to learn here!
Elaine

To tell you the truth my friend: you will hear a lot and each story you will hear is a single perspective or experience of somebody who is living in Egypt temporary or permanently , at the end it's a culture that is brought up by an environment of living and each story might have different perspectives in its analysis due to different cultures and lifestyles, so I see no big deal as long as you  live in the right place and deal with the right people, just creating  your environment: the one that you would be satisfied with yourself and your kid, just carry on and take care of your goals, things will go smooth....and do not worry about it that much.

Hello cmelissa
welcome to Egypt , i think in A country like egypt you can  find your  community easily , just look arround you and find the first friend then y will understand  every thing  here
Just find  the first friend and choose  it  Carefully
Regards

hello single mom,
you are welcome to Egypt and do not worry about any thing here in Cairo we are friendly and helpful,so take it easy .well any way i would love to get in touch with you and help you on any thing whenever you want,I am Egyptian man 37 years old I am english instructor and could help you when ever you wanna have a good job .
any way here is my phone numbers:0197277799-0179700005.
  hope to hear soon from you
                            best regards

maybe you will find this blog interesting: London to Cairo

good luck melissa... egypt will accept u as u r.. go ahead ;)

Asalamu Alaykom CMelissa,

Are you still coming?

I think that the forums on here would work better if the people who actually have no knowledge of the topic don't answer.  Sorry, but if the single mom just wanted people guessing she would have asked friends back home.

I actually have been that single mom with a son coming to teach in Egypt.  It is NOT this dreamy picture people are giving you of total acceptance.  Egyptians verge on rude on their nosiness regarding personal matters.  You will straight out be asked about your son's father and what your situation is with him.  Get ready with an answer.

You have to be more careful because a single mom (especially with a son) will be seen as in desperate need of a man.  You will get everyone trying to set you up a.s.a.p.  That seems like something you can handle and easily avoid but it isn't.  You can't even make hassle-free friendships with Egyptian women because they push some brother or uncle at you over dinner and it becomes very awkward. 

At the same time, there is some truth to needing a man in Egypt.  This is a very hard country to come to without having male support to get you through certain situation---like a revolution. AND you can't really be friends with any men because of the religious taboos.  AND if you don't really understand all the religious and social taboos here, then you'll be at risk for getting misperceived.

So if you are still coming, become more knowledgable about Islamic and Egyptian customs.  Think:  MODEST and low profile.  Come up with a quick response to all the men people want to set you up with.  And at the same time, reconsider if this is the best time to be raising your child alone in Egypt.

Good luck

I do not know if my last message arrived in your box but all I wanted to say was such enormous sense of triumph for Egypt and the oppression they have suffered for thirty years -
You have enormous courage to have arrived with your child all alone to a strange country and you deserve praise for that -

Please do not be afraid that you will be judged for having a child without a husband.
There is much poverty in Egypt and being a mother and living a good life however poor but loving your child is worth more than anything.
You could have left your child and sold her or done all sorts that others do all the time but you didn't
Many times I would have wished my mother had adopted me because clearly she never wanted me and said so many times.
Even saying she wished I had died instead of my father - and so abandoned me in unsafe places but when someone wanted to adopt me would not allow it because she was getting money while I was still officially 'her child'
Being a loving
parent is one of the most important things you can achieve and that your child will remember that love and able to pass it on to the next generation.I feel a connection with Egypt after finding papers belonging to my father's parents long dead after I was born in 1945 - they had an address in Alexandria/Cairo and I believe once had business in Egypt - I think maybe they were Jewish perhaps - his mother an Italian married to a Dutchman both perhaps fleeing the german nazis - and ending up in Egypt -

I have to come one day to see where they were living and if anyone is left of that family
All the best wishes and love
I am SO HAPPY FOR EGYPT - IF YOU GET MY MESSAGE PASS IT ON AND SAY I HAVE BEEN THINKING AND WATCHING THE NEWS EVERYDAY SINCE THE UPRISING - CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BRAVE!
Judith

I am a single mother living in Cairo. Don't see any problem at all - physical nor ethical. People are generally helpful here and very nice to kids.
Gather information on  nurseries/schools, activities you can do with your child, and go ahead.

All the best.

There is a lot of very true perspectives on this topic.  A lot of it depends on where you live, and it's very true to be cautious about how much info you give out.  I'm used to being an open book, and I chose not to do that here.  It's really better to avoid it.  At the same time, you have nothing to be ashamed of, so if someone has a problem with acceptance, it's there's to deal with, and not yours.

I'm within my first year living here, and it can be hard to decide when someone is staring whether they are just curious or giving me the evil eye.  I still haven't figured that one out. 

Developing a support system is very important in my opinion, especially for women.  I have a woman's group, and there are other female gatherings in Cairo.  If you are interested, let me know, and I'll be happy to pass any info along that I can.

we leave our homes and not expecting things to be the same, that's why ppl travel abroad, from several travles to many countries, n not cuz m egyptian, it's quite nice to live in Egypt, ppl r very helpful, they always offer help, sometimes they insist :) but overall, they r fun to get to know... enjoy the mix n have a pleasent time

I don't know how people can be that fake saying that everything is gonna be damn cool and so..I am with my boyfriend since 3 years already and heard 1000 things not just from guys but from girls either..All of them use to say the best words ever in front of you and they will let everything looks fine and later as someone said they will run searching for some man who helps you. At the same time they will talk between them and they will totally think that was all your fault. Egypt is amazing that's something I will always accept but in every country there is something bad and on egypt till now man is a man and woman is a woman..at my age (21) most guys are some open minded but still many of them beleave that the woman must be who be at home taking care of it and of her babys and the man who get the money and care about paying everything..again I would like to be clear saying that is not about all guys. Of course you will find normal guys who beleave that the woman can choose if she want to work or no like my boyfriend. I just want to let you see the real stuff and not to go around saying everything will be fine. I would like to tell you to keep your bussines for yourself and not go around saying that you have a son just so people don't spamm you and get into your things. Good luck since im sure you will have it and if you need something you can msg me any time :)

Andy~

After Hardship wrote:

It is NOT this dreamy picture people are giving you of total acceptance.  Egyptians verge on rude on their nosiness regarding personal matters.  You will straight out be asked about your son's father and what your situation is with him.  Get ready with an answer.

At the same time, there is some truth to needing a man in Egypt.  This is a very hard country to come to without having male support to get you through certain situation---like a revolution.

So if you are still coming, become more knowledgable about Islamic and Egyptian customs.  Think:  MODEST and low profile.  Come up with a quick response to all the men people want to set you up with.  And at the same time, reconsider if this is the best time to be raising your child alone in Egypt.

I actually find this opinion quite useful. After 6 years I might have used to the life here so much that I no longer see things the way you can see as a new comer.

It really is important to gather more information about the country before you come over. Although I believe you will not face major problems just because you are a single mum, being prepared to certain questions and  knowing how you should react can help you a big deal. Also the location you will be living in and the people surrounding you are very important factors.

My personal experience is about being treated differently as a foreigner in general, but not that much as a single mother.

Once again, good luck.

Hello Mellisa, it was really nice talking to u, egyptians r really so helpful, and actually for friendship issues
And for the well educated people, we don't have problem to deal with any whatever ur religion is there is no problem for being an atheist here in Egypt coz we used to deal with all the people with their different cultures and to understand them,come and see new Egypt, Egypt will be better than before after this great revolution, believe men, also  you will find many people who r so helpful here in Egypt,and am here for you too:) you can contact me through the private messages

We will be so happy to know that you will be here soon, hope for you the best of the best

A friend of mine lives here as a single mom, has done so for 12 years. Never had a problem that any other women didn't have, married or not.

actually thats one of the most experienced answers i've ever read before in my life, being a single mother in egypt is not a problem but as olesar said be prepared for the QUESTIONS. yes strange questions.

egyptians culture does not involve many single mothers also young men (specially the unWell Educated ones) always have such perception about single mothers as singles READY for fun nights :D. yes that is true. but anyways they are not devils they r just so kind and always offering help.

egyptian mothers are quite perfect so talkative you can get so much information when u meet any of them in the mall or a super market or even neighbors.

any help ?! ;) :p

OlesyaR wrote:
After Hardship wrote:

It is NOT this dreamy picture people are giving you of total acceptance.  Egyptians verge on rude on their nosiness regarding personal matters.  You will straight out be asked about your son's father and what your situation is with him.  Get ready with an answer.

At the same time, there is some truth to needing a man in Egypt.  This is a very hard country to come to without having male support to get you through certain situation---like a revolution.

I actually find this opinion quite useful. After 6 years I might have used to the life here so much that I no longer see things the way you can see as a new comer.

It really is important to gather more information about the country before you come over. Although I believe you will not face major problems just because you are a single mum, being prepared to certain questions and  knowing how you should react can help you a big deal. Also the location you will be living in and the people surrounding you are very important factors.

My personal experience is about being treated differently as a foreigner in general, but not that much as a single mother.

Once again, good luck.

heeloo
wanna be fr.?
i am dr. orthopeadics departement ?
contact me

i'm looking fo rEnglish course

Hi Unsim!

You are off topic! Please start a new thread on the Cairo forum!

Thanks and regards
Armand

no worries melissa...u will find egyptians friendly and able to interact with different cultured ppl....try to enjoy ur time in cairo , life is too short

hey i am here alone too starting to figure it out...lets be friends:)

What support is there for single mothers living in Egypt? Ya3ny... no family members - how do they cope with the reality of living in a foreign country with children and no real family structural support?

I'm really interested to know (if it's easier to message me, I'd appreciate it :)).

welcome to egypt and dont worry much about the ppl just stick to the nice ones and u will be just fine hope u enjoy egypt  :)

relax, you will be just fine. i beleive there are many single parents here both locals and expats. it is not really about being an single parent as much as about how you behave in public. good luck

Hi,

I'm a single father living with my  son ,it is  new experience to me very hard ?I'm trying to do my part.

Living in Egypt as a single mum is not an issue at all