New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015

Newbie on the Dominican Republic forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Dominican Republic if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread
New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015 continues below!

Gad zooks!!! we are in the last quarter of the year.  Where did the time go?????

Bob K

My reaction exactly Bob.  Where did this year go?

The older I get the faster it goes :D

Bob K

yes, time goes so fast.. that is why we decided to pre-retire early. 2015, a year to remember..  in just a few short weeks The DR will become our new home !

I bet you are counting the hours already :D

Bob K

Hello every one. .. Glad to be here.. I speak English.. Dominican Republic is one land I would so love to see. I actually would like to learn spanish in DR..  Can  any one tell me of a affordable school I can study spanish in DR. And can anyone give me an idea of what it might cost to study In  DR.? Please I need your reply friends...

Hi Jeynie and welcome to the forums.   Studying Spanish -  sorry no idea.  There are some schools that offer  2 or 3 week programs in Santo Domingo. No idea on name, costs or anything else. We joke all the time - fastest way to learn spanish get a boyfriend who speaks no English.....LOL

I'm an american who travels to the dom--rep 4 or 5 times a year..I'm interested in finding people who want to invest there..can you help me with this?

First welcome to the forums.  Nope we really cannot help you with that. WE can help you open a business,  build a life, maybe find a girlfriend (hee hee hee)  etc but those who want to invest really don't come to this forum. They probably should though!

jeynie Welcome to the forum. There are a number of schools here in the Sosua area on the north coast.  If you Google "Spanish language schools Sosua Dominican Republic a number of them will come up with programs and costs.

Bob K

rawromantic  Welcome

I agree with Planner not much discussion on investing in the DR. Lots of scams around though.

Just for curiosity what are you looking to invest in?

Bob K

Hi, my name is Peter, partner is Pamela and we are looking at spending time in Las Terrenas each year. We made a  quick visit in June and liked much of what we saw. I am a retired restoration architect and restauranteur. I still dabble in both if i have a chance for some small projects. Pam is not retired (yet). We won't be able to make a full time jump from Canada due to a number of things, so trying to max it out for me each year and Pam will join me as many times as possible. We have spent the better part of the last four winters in Belize. It has become a real pain to get to from eastern Canada the last year. Better part of a day and half. We can fly into Samana in about 8 hours. Am now taking Spanish lessons so looking forward to getting there in February and hope to meet some expats of course.

Welcome Peter and Pamela!!!   We look forward to you being part of our online community, make sure to update us on your adventures!!!   Any questions ask away but read read read......

Peter and Pam welcome to the forum.  There are lots of good folks here with lots of information.  So feel free to ask away.

February will be here before you know it.

Bob K

Hi! I was born in Indiana, now living in Florida. Lived abroad as exchange student in Vzla for 1 year in high school. Met husband there, married now 17 years, 2 kids. Bilingual, but kids speak mostly English. Moving to Punta Cana this summer because of our business. Excited and a little nervous and looking for some help getting family prepared for the move :-)

Welcome again.....LOL  Let us know how we can help you.

Lol. I thought it didnt take the first time... Think I posted 3x. Oh well :P Thanks for the welcome! Can't wait to learn more about our family's new adventure :-)

Jamiemelissa welcome.  There are some great folks here with lots of info.  Please read the multiple threads here on living in the DR and feel free to ask away.

Living here can be quite the adventure

Bob K

Hello All:

Dstory here.  I am new to the site as well as the forum.  I am currently living in Texas but, my plan is to move to the Dominican Republic in the near future (3-5 years).  My native language is english and I am studying Spanish with a tutor.  I hope to converse and meet with some of you in the future.

Cheers!

dstory welcome to the forum.  There is lots of information here and lots of folks to answer your questions.

Have you been here before?  Are you planning on working here or retiring?  What part of the country are you looking to move to?

Learning Spanish in preparation is a good idea.

Again welcome

Bob K

Welcome to the forums!  Lots of great info on here, read read read and come ask your questions honey!

Thank you.
At-present, my questions would be centered on retirement-issues with a focus on medical coverage/insurance in DR.
If everything works-out I shall start a small business (welding) with an eye to training young people.
First things first! Medical coverage/insurance for a US Expat?

Medical insurance here will depend on your age (need to be less than 65) and are you looking for coverage for he DR or for anywhere DR or outside of the DR.

If you are over 65 insurance will be very hard to get and your Medicare does not cover you here.

Bob K

Hi!
My name is Shai and I live in The Netherlands.
Next year I will do my internship for 3 months in Las Terranes to graduate.
After graduating, I really want to live and work in the Dominican Republic!
Last summer I have been there (Santiago, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Caberete) for the holidays.
My Spanish is oke (level b1) and I study media and communication.
So If someone has any tips or information about work/living for me, would be really nice!

Welcome Shai,  you will need to get your residencia or a work visa after you do your internship!  There is a thread dedicated to residencia.  Read other threads and let us know your questions.

Who are you interning for?

Shai,
Welcome. Lots of good information here on visas, residency, work ad such.

Yes you will need your residency and cedula (national id card) to work here legally

Good luck

What is your internship about?

Bob K

Thank you for the welcome  planner and Bob K ! :)

I am going to work for a foundation for charity.
I will help producing a promotional video about the potential for ecological tourism in the Dominican Republic and at the same time teach environmental education to locals and tourists.
And also all the other media related tasks.

Well, I have done my research about the visa for the internship.
I think I will do it on the tourist card and then pay the extra days I have been there.
I saw that for about 61 - 90 you have to pay like 2500 pesos. and if I need longer I have to pay more.

Do you also have any tips about websites, or local advertisements to look for a job?
Is there any need for just graduate students in the media/communication trade?

Thank you!!

First without your residency no one will really look at you. UNLESS you can get one of these ecotourism or excursion companies to sponsor your work visa. BUT you still need to go home and get all the paperwork in order, then come back again.

Planner is correct if you plan on working here you will need your residency or work visa and both take time, $$$ and effort. AND must start in your home country.

Bob K

Oké! Well, when it is the time and I found a job, I will permit first for a work visa and when I can stay longer and really planning to live there, I will look up for the information here!
I saw a lot of info, so hopefully it will bring me there.
But about how many time are we talking ?
years? months? or it depends on...?

From the time you make the application in  Santo Domingo you can expect it to take maybe  6 months. BUT from the time you apply,  you can usually start working.

That does not include the time you will spend at the Dominican consulate or embassy in your country to get the paper work started and filled out. 

We have friends that in Toronto Canada it took over 3 weeks to get it done correctly.

Bob K

Exactly.   6 months is from the Santo Domingo deposit it here stage....

Hi
I just signed up and glad to be here. I am 53 semi retired and looking for a winter home. If things are good I would be interested in moving. Any advise would help. I just need something simple safe and have things to do outside, a beach, snorkelling, hiking sucking it up every day. :-)

Welcome to the forums.....read, read, read lots of great info here.

Welcome.  Do read the multiple threads on living here.  Then  come and ask any questions you may have.

Have you been here before?

Bob K

Yes I have been to the DR 6 times, Sosua Punta Cana and San Juan I think. I like Sosua the best however I don't know what it would be like after a few months living there. I need to rent for a while and see how it goes. Some areas look nice and safe and some others not so comfy with walking around.  The first things would be to know what area would be the best for me to get a real deal experience and allow me to do the things I love to do. A beach would be nice, hiking, walking, nice park, enjoying the things outside. General idea of cost to rent, I don't think I would purchase because I want to keep my money in my bank, not tied up in a place I cant sell. Also I know nothing about real-estate in the DR or any other country besides Canada. I wouldn't need work but something to do would be nice at least for a few hrs a week. I have been reading the blog and it is very good info, one must take it slow and make sure not to loose the farm over a good idea. One step at a time.

You are on the right track!!

Hola todos! Soy nueva en éste foro. Soy de Santo Domingo, Rep Dominicana. Vivo en Knutsford, Cheshire pero trabajo en Manchester. He llegado hace 1 año y me encantaría que alguien me sugiera alguna peluquería, dominicana a ser posible, y en Manchester o cerca, ya que he estado haciéndome el pelo yo misma pero ahora ya no tengo tiempo para ello. Agradecería cualquier información.

Closed