Moving to Kuala Lumpur - Cost of Food and Room for Single Guy

Hi Everyone,

I have accepted a job offer in an IT Company in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I am a Single guy (Indian) relocating alone.

I would be glad if you can help me understand the cost for the following: (I know there are many threads on the same topic, but I am unclear), so please help me:

- monthly rent/cost of sharing room: ??
- 3 times veg/non-veg food: ??
- transport cost (train/metro): ??
- laundry cost: ??
- Monthly Phone and Internet cost: ??

(I am not a party boy, I live a simple life)

If you can really do with just a room, even willing to share, it should be very cheap, a few 100 RM. You can get single studio apartment in a condo starting about 1.5k, depending on location and overall condition of the condo. Usually you have to give 2.5 month deposit together with first rent, so that can add up.

A meal in an Indian restaurant typically cost about 10RM, full set, which I don't think you need 3 times a day. Huge variety in terms of food here, you can get a reasonable meal starting at 5 RM, if you are not picky.

Public transport very cheap, a few RM only, question is do you have one available, infrastructure still under construction here, car-traffic is a nightmare, best mode of transport inside KL is a small motorbike, they are cheap, easy to maintain, fuel efficient, you still can move when there is jam (the drivers keep sideway distance, unlike in India). Of course your screwed when there is heavy rain.....

Laundry: cheap

Phone/Internet: post paid registered phone with a reasonable data package about 150RM/month, prepaid very cheap. Registered phone they will ask  you for a quiet high deposit, around 1k, because you are foreigner.