Moving to live Mumbai, need a lot of advice

Hey,
I am moving to Mumbai in a couple of years, I am from New York, USA.I was born in india but at a very young age I left India. 
I am planning to move to Mumbai to start my new life, my career in modelling & acting. I am very scared, see I dont know anyone in Mumbai, I was born in Delhi. I dont really know where to start from, in terms of my career -modelling and acting, but my biggest problem is where to live. I am coming to mumbai with a limited amount of money! and dont have any bckup.. so looking for a cheap but decent place.
I am not looking for anything flashy! but cant live in chawls either, I hope u understand where i am coming from!!
In terms of expenses - how much is enough for me to survive in mumbai, 20,000rs a month? incl everything - rent/transport/food/basic necessities/gym?
Is it easy to get a part time job and go for auditions side by side.
Please Help me out!! I just need full detailed info about mumbai and where to start for an acting career.
Will really appreciate your help.

hey Deepti,
You said you planing to move in couple of years. Then you got loads of time.

To be in modeling and acting you might have to stay between Bandra and Andheri. Its easy to move to production companies and auditioning. Most of the auditioning is in Andheri. The cost of living in this area on average is 20000-35000. Depending on how lavish or frugally you live.

Careeer wise, come with a portfolio. Experience in Theater/acting will always help. Join a Casting Agency (elite) they charge a bomb as commission but might be worth it and easier to move around in the network. You might be surprised that most of the people who make their name in this business are non mumbaite who end up becoming mumbaite. Lot of people from Delhi who are big in the business and you might find some connection with these people.

Hope all this helps.
Good luck.
Cheers!

Thanks for replying

surprisingly,i am also thinking about the same thing!
i  also hv same question in my mind.....lets move 2gether deepii lol
btw im originally from saudi arabia,im born nd raised here but do have a pakistani passport due 2 grand parents
ive heard that if u dont have a rashan card thr in indi....u come 2 face alot of troubles...is it true?
pls guide mumbai people!!!

U live in the U.S. If so wat part, cuz i dnt mind goin there together because i dnt want to be the only one looking lost at the airport lol. I dnt kno much about rashan cards tho.

Hi,
Ration card(called as rashan)is a card for getting subsidised food for Indians.It has nothing to do with foreigners or expats.
Your passport,visa & work permit are the documents you will require.
Do write specific queries so that the same can be answered.
arthand

no deepi i live in in KSA....r u currently in a US or India?

coz i thought by seeing some of ur posts tht ur already in india by now

Anny
As long as you have correct identity papers you don't need any sort of rashan (ration) card. You need all these things for anything to do with government agencies.

I haven't seen my ration card for decades... don't even know if my name exist on it. Still I have never been asked for mine. If you have a valid visa on you, then for sure you can get whatever is legally allowed.

Hope all this helps.

Thanks Negi....
u removed my doubt :)

Ration card are issued only to people who have been residing in Mumbai or in any other Indian state for the past 15 years.