Swimming in the city

One of my friends in Palm City told me about a gentlemen who went for a swim just off the beach there, head out of the water except for when he first dove in which is when some of the water went into his mouth which was promptly spat out.

Half an hour after the swim after puking et al - emergency was called and eventually had to go to Malta for treatment - reason - raw sewage. Talked to an engineer friend of mine at the gym last night, apprently there are 21 separate sewage pipes that go out into the ocean. Swimming 10km either side of the TIP could get you into trouble.

Anyone else hear anything? - I keep seeing the locals in the water just in front of the Marriot.

I've swam off the beach at Regatta and near the Tourist village, but further down towards town I wouldn't. My office is 100m from the sea on Gargaresh and while I see locals in the water, I won't swim there. There are some points along there where you can smell the effluent. I guess alot of people get away with it as they're not really swimming, just splashing around as opposed to knocking out 4km.

There's another great sandy beach which I went to last week, it's away from Tripoli in a place called Talel. You better go there for swimming long hours. I also stayed there over the weekend in a new hotel which is absolutely fabulous. I wanted to post the wesite here but I can't remember it at the moment, once I find it I'll get back to this topic.

Not the Dar Telil just along from Sabratha ?

Yes thats the one thanks for bringing it up, here's the web link dar-tellil.com it's a great place!

unbelievably I see locals & kids regularly swimming off a little beach within the harbour where the concentration of brown trout must be even greater than in the open sea.

Incredible eh?

There is a 24" pipe which shits out shit right in front of that beach.

They say if you're over 15, you acquire immunity after your third dip. 15 or less never show any symptoms.