Gym for ladies in Tripoli?

I've seen the really nice gym discussed on the Benghazi forum - but can anyone tell me if there is a good gym for ladies, in either the downtown or Ben Ashour areas of Tripoli?  Need opening times, what they offer, and how much it costs.  If there is a website I can go to, so much the better!!!

Thanks a stack.

Jenni Red wrote:

I've seen the really nice gym discussed on the Benghazi forum - but can anyone tell me if there is a good gym for ladies, in either the downtown or Ben Ashour areas of Tripoli?  Need opening times, what they offer, and how much it costs.  If there is a website I can go to, so much the better!!!

Thanks a stack.

Jenni, don't know about a gym specifically for ladies only, but the wife and I train at the Radisson hotel. Decent gym and pool, mixture of aerobic machines and weights, never crowded (probably due to the price which I will get to), and you can have your own private trainer if you like. For 6 months membership my wife and I were 1900LYD, now that isn't cheap, but for me it has been a god send. The hours are 0700 - ?. If you want to check it out just pop down and the staff will happily show you around.

Cool!  Thanks, Clansman!!!  Sounds expensive - but may be worth it in the long run!  :)  Will go and check it out...

Jenni Red wrote:

Sounds expensive

It would be if it were in US or EU. Totally reasonable here. I do not think you will like anything in Libya that costs much less. Now if you pay just a little more, you can get the Rixos's snow room (yeah, I am serious)--a big refrigerator with human-friendly interior. But i didnt like the Rixos choice of training equipment, and heard serious complaints about their lousy service.

That works out to 158.33 a month per person.  I know we do not pay that in the States -- $60.00 a month at the most.

It has just been amazing to me how they are charging Expats these extremely high prices for gym and hair cut, color, higtlight, etc.
and expats are paying.

I am assuming that in Europe it is high prices there as well.

I called today for a haircut, color, highlights.  By the end of it, it sounded like it was going to be close to 200 or above. 

I refuse to be in a third-world country and pay these prices.  I will find and go to where the Libyans go.

***Dolphins are Angels of the Sea***

actually, any place in the states with the relative exclusivity and "poshness" of the Radisson of Rixos will charge no less than $100 US (not LD) per month per member, and they will pretend that they did you a favor by waving the initiation fee if you were a first time member. Although Rixos, Radisson and AlBustan are more like spas than proper gyms.

I refuse to be in a third-world country and pay these prices.  I will find and go to where the Libyans go

I admire your attitude, but it really depends on how particular a costumer you are. At a certain point %100 or %200 increase in price will seem lovely if you just get what YOU want. "weher libyans go" often provides a level of service that's centuries behind that of convenience store owned and run by Koreans.

oh, and dolphins are actually gay sharks.

MoEl wrote:

Once again mate I laughed out loud at that.

It is not just 'westerners' that are charged that price, it is anyone wanting to join the gym/spa (delete as approrpiate).

Well, I don't know about you all but we are here to make money not piss it to them.  They act like we are living in a resort/vacation place or something.  WE ARE NOT!!!

I live very good in the States.  But I am not going to pay ridulous prices unless it is a vacation spot and this sure isn't.

And don't get me started on --

Sea Angel wrote:

Well, I don't know about you all but we are here to make money not piss it to them.  They act like we are living in a resort/vacation place or something.  WE ARE NOT!!!

I live very good in the States.  But I am not going to pay ridulous prices unless it is a vacation spot and this sure isn't.

The hotel prices are a joke, but you have a choice, pay it, or don't simples. I pay it and to me and my wife (not on a massive wage) it is worth it, your choice though.

Hi Everyone - thank you for all your responses and advice - had to laugh at your comment about "gay sharks", MoEl!!!  :D

Seriously though, I will check it out and also speak to my local work colleagues about where they go - but as you say Clansman and MoEl - much as i would love to mix with local women, I dont have much free time, so dont want to spend it trying to find a place - and i do want a good place.  I may after all choose the "easiest" option and go with the radisson.  I also heard that there are similar options at the Corinthia - anyone know anything about that?

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated.

MoEl wrote:

Now if you pay just a little more, you can get the Rixos's snow room (yeah, I am serious)--a big refrigerator with human-friendly interior.

A SNOW room!!!  Are you SERIOUS??!!!  :lol::lol::lol:

Sea Angel wrote:

we are here to make money not piss it to them.

At the risk of forcing the discussion into an awkward and philosophical direction about life's priorities, I beg to differ, Sea Angel.

If the only way to make you exercise is by joining what's commonly defined as a "gym" then no money can be too much for that endeavor. If you can do your yoga or calisthenics at home, then all power to you. In-home-training should be the standard. But if your options are either A) submitting to the will of rapacious libyan businesses and paying the inordinate monthly fee, or B) neglecting exercise altogether; I would much rather go for A.

By refraining from paying what you think is too high (which really isnt considering current market conditions), you're not getting back at them. Trust me, you're not depriving their business. It's you whom you're depriving. Sea Angel, with all due respect, I think you're being too sentimental. A day goes by whether you're in Tripoli or at the Ozarks. Whether you're doing "work" or doing "vacation"--it's all life, and a day not enjoyed is a day wasted.

As Americans, it really gets to us when/if we're not treated properly as consumers first and foremost. Lack of consumption options is subconsciously translated into a sign of disrespect and disregard for the costumer. And we utterly refuse to fall prey to monoply. We fear that, if we endorse a monoply, will lose our voice and power as consumers. But here is what I had to learn the hard way: being a consumer in Libya strips you of all power. You really cant vote with your dollar (or dinar) no matter how much of it you withhold.

As you can see, I feel strongly about this subject. No need to point that out.

Jenni Red, I havent had a chance to look at Corinthia's. Last time I looked at photos on their website it seemed like what I then described as "run-of-the-mill luxury spa" with a small room for selectorizeds and few dumbbells.

The snowroom at the Rixos is rather tempting (forget the scruffy, stained white shirt and the duct-tape suit their sales manager was wearing) I would totally sign up if they allow me to bring dumbbells and weight plates and do my HIRT in there.

Edit: typo

Sea Angel wrote:

...so just stay there babe...or get ready to pee...

Or... you could have your own personal trainer, who comes to your house, and trains you in-situ :)  Inbox me if you'd like details :)

It is definitely a supply and demand market here.  Yes, I have been forced to buy the same size bag of dog for here for 135 LYD when at home I can get it for 10 to $20.  Cat food for 125 LYD.  When at home 10 to $20.  Yes, I even bought a $4.00 cheap raft here for 15 LYD.

It is just our opinions.  I have other options on the hair and excersice thing. 

Just have to learn to improvise over here.  :)

Good day

Jenni Red wrote:

Hi Everyone - thank you for all your responses and advice - had to laugh at your comment about "gay sharks", MoEl!!!  :D

Seriously though, I will check it out and also speak to my local work colleagues about where they go - but as you say Clansman and MoEl - much as i would love to mix with local women, I dont have much free time, so dont want to spend it trying to find a place - and i do want a good place.  I may after all choose the "easiest" option and go with the radisson.  I also heard that there are similar options at the Corinthia - anyone know anything about that?

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated.

Jenni, I checked out a few gyms prior to picking the Radisson. I chose the Radisson as it is close to where I live, mixed training for the wife and I, and the fact that is has a 'decent' amount and mix of equipment. It is also a 'haven' from living in the centre of Tripoli, the restaurants are decent if a bit pricey, but it is as close as you will get here to a western standard hotel.

flipfinger wrote:

Or... you could have your own personal trainer, who comes to your house, and trains you in-situ :)  Inbox me if you'd like details :)

...yeah right, ...i don't like guys coming in my "situ", although i'd get ur butt in shape in no time, babe...

Jenni, I am going tomorrow to look at one.  It is somewhere in Janzour, I think.  60 LYD a month I was told.  I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot everyone, for your input!:)

Flipfinger - dont really have space - or privacy! - in my flat for that...

Clansman - thanks a stack - just a little reluctant to pay so much - though I dont have a problem if that is the going rate...will go and take a look anyway.  It does sound great for what it offers.

Sea Angel - thanks - please let me know - though Janzour is a little far out for me - I live in the city centre, in downtown area, so would prefer something closer - but still interested.

Napalm wrote:
flipfinger wrote:

...yeah right, ...i don't like guys coming in my "situ", although i'd get ur butt in shape in no time, babe...

Wow.  What an offer.. think i'll decline tho, as i'm more than happy training with my fiancee who not only gets my butt in shape, but the rest of me too...:rolleyes:

Napalm wrote:
flipfinger wrote:

Napalm, you are coming across as a bit of a tw@t, why don't you think before you post ?, just a 'gentle' suggestion likes :mad:

Jenni, it is a lot of money, but if you use the gym 4 or 5 times a week, it turns out to be about £4.50 a visit (calculated at 2LYD to 1GBP, and also using my dodgy maths !!).

Clansman wrote:

Jenni, it is a lot of money, but if you use the gym 4 or 5 times a week, it turns out to be about £4.50 a visit (calculated at 2LYD to 1GBP, and also using my dodgy maths !!).

Wow - ok - I must have VERY dodgy Maths then!!!  :D  Yes you're right - working it out that way it doesnt sound too bad at all!!!  :)  Just have to make sure I put it to good use, I suppose....Thanks Clansman.

Jenni, the gym is on Gorgi Road.  It is Sultan's.  They were closed when we went by.

Have you or anyone heard anything about them?  I want to go inside and look.

Hi

Jenni, I'm not sure what side your on, the one who prefers to pretend he is person living abroad and tries to "settle" and INSISTS with comparing everything to how it was in sweet back old home town (which makes me think what the hell they are doing here in the first place) or someone who is more open minded and accepts the fact that they are in a 3rd world country, yes people: 3rd world not USA or Europe, and Arab and that they have different priorities and lifestyles, and try and adapt instead of moaning and moaning because they cant find what they had back at home and if they do its too expensive and if its not expensive its not the service they expect and on and on and on...

Anyway, all this is to say, against what you all think, there are very normal local gyms for women and men in Tripoli with very nice people in them and very cheap. I've been going to one for 2 months now, its in between the radisson and souk mahari, in a little hidden street. it's open 3 days for men and 3 days for women, closed on friday. they have all the machines and in a good state and even for ladies aerobics 3 times a day. open from 0800 till like 18.30... I really enjoy going there, no one speaks good english but they sure do try to communicate in a friendly way. Ladies are dressed in gym clothes just having fun like in any other gym, and even though the lessons for example are in arabic (which btw i do not speak) it isn't very hard to follow it. 

What I'm trying to say, Jenni, is don't get drowned in the expat mind frame which is "poor us we are in a 3rd world country, what will we do... (while they are making shit loads of money off it..." I know libyans aren't exactly nice people all the time, but Im sure people in USA and Europe aren't all nice either. Give the local places a chance, honestly I really enjoy this gym thing.

Oh, BTW its 5 LYD a day and 45 LYD a month, like any other local neighbourhood gym in Europe...

And MoEl I totally agree with you, enjoy every day as much as you can... even if you are in god forbid horrible don't have a gym like i wish they had terrible Tripoli, Libya.

finally, I read something worth reading.

Exactly Jen 83.  You have to learn to improvise and shuffle and be openminded.  I don't go to the gym to socialize anyway.  I don't mind being in a 3rd world country.  I just don't want to pay ridiculous prices when I know there are better prices.

In fact, when we go on vacation, we like to go where the locals go and not just the tourist traps.

Thanks for the Info. Jen 83.

:)

Jen 83 wrote:

Hi

What I'm trying to say, Jenni, is don't get drowned in the expat mind frame which is "poor us we are in a 3rd world country, what will we do... (while they are making shit loads of money off it..." I know libyans aren't exactly nice people all the time, but Im sure people in USA and Europe aren't all nice either. Give the local places a chance, honestly I really enjoy this gym thing.

Oh, BTW its 5 LYD a day and 45 LYD a month, like any other local neighbourhood gym in Europe...

And MoEl I totally agree with you, enjoy every day as much as you can... even if you are in god forbid horrible don't have a gym like i wish they had terrible Tripoli, Libya.

Sorry to pee on your parade, but Libya is certainly not a 3rd world country, it rated in at number 68 in the IMF chart (just above Beyonce !!) for 2009, ahead of countries like Croatia, Oman and Bahrain, now if you meant developing, then yes I would agree.

MoEl wrote:

Rectification: dolphins are natural born killers
               ( forget about Flipper )

you are looking for homos in the animal kingdom ?!? WTF !!!!
where am i ? some amazonian tribes are more civilized than this guy...where you molested by your neighbor's dog as a kid ?

Napalm wrote:
MoEl wrote:

Rectification: dolphins are natural born killers
               ( forget about Flipper )

you are looking for homos in the animal kingdom ?!? WTF !!!!
where am i ? some amazonian tribes are more civilized than this guy...where you molested by your neighbor's dog as a kid ?

Now Mo is more than capable of sticking up for himself (as you will find out), but I have to ask WTF is your problem ?, I will drop you a PM with regards to how to speak to people on this forum.

Please, Gentleman, keep cool please and let's stick to the initial subject ! Thks

Sea Angel wrote:

Jenni, the gym is on Gorgi Road.  It is Sultan's.  They were closed when we went by.

Post # 9 here:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36616

Keep in mind that I went to the third floor one, which was "men's only" 7 days/wk although I saw a Chinese woman there several times. It looked like she was having fun. She always had her hair pulled up, athletic but not overly revealing clothing and wore almost no makeup.

There was one on the ground floor that was coed, and I think another one that had 3 days/men and 3/women.

If, after you had your look, you still have questions unanswered (there's often someone who speaks good English at their desk) just post em here.

Thank you Clansman

FeeAcer wrote:

Please, Gentleman, keep cool please and let's stick to the initial subject ! Thks

Apologies, it is just that I get quite irritated when someone not only goes off topic, but gets personal as well. I like humour being added to any thread, this place needs livening up like any other, but when a poster posts nothing but jibes and smart arsed remarks, that have no value to us living in this country, with zero informative value, then I get a bit p!ssed off.

Clansman wrote:

but when a poster posts nothing but jibes....with zero informative value,

Oh $h!*....they're talking about me again

MoEl wrote:
Sea Angel wrote:

Post # 9 here:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36616

Keep in mind that I went to the third floor one, which was "men's only" 7 days/wk although I saw a Chinese woman there several times. It looked like she was having fun. She always had her hair pulled up, athletic but not overly revealing clothing and wore almost no makeup.

There was one on the ground floor that was coed, and I think another one that had 3 days/men and 3/women.

If, after you had your look, you still have questions unanswered (there's often someone who speaks good English at their desk) just post em here.

Thanks, MoEl. Wow, you can give a straight and nice answer.  :)

MoEl wrote:
Clansman wrote:

but when a poster posts nothing but jibes....with zero informative value,

Oh $h!*....they're talking about me again

Your just trying to get ahead in the 'post count stakes' aren't you mate :P (now 2 behind)

Oh boy!!!  My simple little question seems to have sparked some rather NAASTY! responses - which I think were totally uncalled for. As free acer says - PLEASE keep the party clean boys - no need to get personal or obnoxious...:rolleyes:

To return to the topic - thank you, again, all - been getting some very helpful comments from most of you. 

Jen 83 - This sounds more like what I am looking for - and within my price range.  I am very interested in what you were saying about the gym you go to - will send you a PM to discuss further...and dont worry - I am not in the first category!....;)

Your just trying to get ahead in the 'post count stakes' aren't you mate  (now 2 behind)

:D

Thanks, MoEl. Wow, you can give a straight and nice answer.

http://th08.deviantart.com/fs26/300W/f/2008/177/2/8/A_Tip_of_the_Hat_by_jollyjack.jpg

Hi Jenni,
Coronthia is good, the two pools are worth the fun if u like the sun...outdoor and indoor pools...
The membership is nearly similar to blue R
I was there a long time, and enjoyed myself, but got difficult due to taxi drivers messing abt everytime...hope u have a car
And if you are sumone who needs to travel in and out of the country, then these memberships get expensive eventually, as I was travelling a lot...found a big waste...
There is a gym which is huge, enough machines dumb bells whatever u need, they r not the latest I can assure you...local ladies and few westerners are there, clean gym, two floors well equiped,
its three days a week, alternate days...
and the best aerobics u can find here
it is near RB, Dhara...IT is called electronate street, it may seem an alley when u enter there, but u will be suprised, have done gym in enough countries, but the equipment and space here made me smile
I think jen, has mentioned the same!
Cheers!