Looking to read your experience before making the move!

Hello,
I am a retired Canadian man and I am interested in visiting Vietnam with an eye to spending more time in the country once I  am there and get a feel for the culture as well as a realistic feel for making Viet Nam a more permanent place of residence.

In order to continue my pension income I have restrictions in terms of time spent outside Canada.

I have a lot of planning and research to do before booking a vacation.

First of all I have to decide what city. I am taking a cursory look at Nah Trang only  because it was rated highly in terms of value, location and overall services and rental units available, among other features and benefits.

This would be my first trip abroad so I am pretty green; that said I travelled North America extensively during my career so I have a good grasp on travel in general.

My plan is to go in February of 2016 providing I can get the time off. I work part time driving a school bus and have my pension income that is relatively modest, the part time work doubles my pension income. I will be working around this employment initially and then consider my options as I evaluate living abroad for longer periods.

I would be very grateful to make contacts and read any information provided to me by expats in Viet Nam or other like countries.

Thank you in advance to everyone who takes time to send me first hand information and/or links to research.

best regards,
Ron

Hello wildr576  and welcome on board Expat.com

I invite you to browse through the threads in our section Everyday life in Nha Trang to gather as much info as possible.

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi Wildr576,

I have made the move 3 years ago now, i'm still living in Nha Trang by now.
Nha Trang is a very quiet and small city, perfect place to relax and enjoy beaches, seaview...
As you will be an expat and not a tourist, Nha Trang got many affordable appartement/house for rent,
cheaper than in Saigon. Cost living for food or utilities are quite high compare to others cities in Vietnam,
but i think is not a big difference.
There is a lot of expat here, restaurants from around the world, many cafés ect..
If you want to know a bit more about Nha Trang living, cost of grocery, check out my blog :
Mailife.blogspot.com

Thanks a lot!
Mai Kerivel.